What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hash Storage -Problem/Question

hamstring

Veteran
This is water extracted GG4 from 11/22.

I dried it to room RH of 55% . I’m sure there was more moisture content inside the hash pattys. I then shape and freeze all of it

I had cut a tootsie size piece of hash around a month or so ago. Well my eyes were much bigger than my lungs. I only rolled and smoked a couple of snake joints from this.

I left that tootsie roll wrapped in wax paper in my desk drawer. Today I tried to pull off a hunk and roll up another snake and to my surprise this is what I had.

The dark brown is just oxidation and probably a bit of freezer burn. Thats normal, for me anyway. The inside is the right color too, but its gritty and not as sticky.

When you try to roll it up it doesn’t stay together. I have never seen this happen before.

Any input appreciated?

thumb_IMG_2060_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_2061_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_2062_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_2064_1024.jpg

exoticrobotic

but its gritty and not as sticky.

The inner bit looks still slightly wet if its sandy and smears rather than melting into a blob and darkening.

Needs to dry out a bit more is all.

Looks very nice 😋

The bit that looks like freezer burn has already dried out

hi...in my opinion you should press it into the baking paper...you should see droplets of water that will drain...press brother, press!

(y)

Or you could crumble it to more powdered consistency to dry out.

Looks very very nice :biggrin:

Asentrouw

The inner bit looks still slightly wet if its sandy and smears rather than melting into a blob and darkening.
Looks very nice 😋
(y)

To speed it up it a bit, you can always heat it up (for instance in a oven) untill it gets soft/sticky and mold it, before letting it dry afterwarts. Works for me.

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran

Looks very nice 😋

(y)

Thanks brother I appreciate the advice. I guess my question is why was it fine when i first pulled it out of the freezer. I have taken small pieces many times from the freezer and they all remain pliable and oily. After leaving this out it turned crumbly.

Could it be that it is drying out and needs to pressed like Alitolla said?

Alitolla

try pressing with a bottle of hot water...the heat will bring the oil to the surface..it helps the drying process.Trying doesn't hurt man.at least, that's what they say in Italy👌

Rgd

Veteran
if it doesn’t have too much water in it..it freezes great..proper dry ,heat and pressure before.. helps

Asentrouw

I like this advice for the future, before I freeze it.

Should still do the trick.

In the past had some hard blocks of icewater hash that had the same issue, it just crumbled into powder and wouldn't stick together. Not sure what went wrong there.

But by heating (I think it was around 50 C/122F > but you can go much higher) and molding it, I was able to work it into a nice lumb of hash.

Nowadays I just pre-dry ice-hash in the oven, mold/press it and let it dry out over longer time in small blocks at room temps. This give it this nice "Afghan-style" consistency and taste. First grade is almost sticky oil, second grade moldable dark hash (like this one the most), third grade crumble.

Dry sieve I just compress straight away into a nice blonde hash. No problems there.

Attachments

• 20231125_213029.jpg
    20231125_213029.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 51

aqualungs

Should still do the trick.

In the past had some hard blocks of icewater hash that had the same issue, it just crumbled into powder and wouldn't stick together. Not sure what went wrong there.

But by heating (I think it was around 50 C/122F > but you can go much higher) and molding it, I was able to work it into a nice lumb of hash.

Nowadays I just pre-dry ice-hash in the oven, mold/press it and let it dry out over longer time in small blocks at room temps. This give it this nice "Afghan-style" consistency and taste. First grade is almost sticky oil, second grade moldable dark hash (like this one the most), third grade crumble.

Dry sieve I just compress straight away into a nice blonde hash. No problems there.
You notice any reaction with the foodsaver bag? I wrapped mine in parchment and sealed it upon paranoia.

Asentrouw

You notice any reaction with the foodsaver bag? I wrapped mine in parchment and sealed it upon paranoia.

I just work it by hand or with wax paper.

The vacuumsealing I do afterwarts when it's a block and cooled down, then keeping it dark and cool. If it's hot it can stick to the bag, but aslong as it's kept cool I have no issues.

Only problem I have with some very pure oily hash, is that it sticks to literaly everything. This already melts at roomtemps. 😅 If I have this issue, I keep it in small glass yars, so I can scrape it off.

Last edited:

velorex

i keep my rosin and the stickiest hash in silicone containers, easier to get everything out than with glass. haven't noticed any adverse effects from the silicone

oldmaninbc

To speed it up it a bit, you can always heat it up (for instance in a oven) untill it gets soft/sticky and mold it, before letting it dry afterwarts. Works for me.
When I had a wood burning stove I use to put the kief with a few drops of water on the stoves surface. It was hot to handle but helped to bind it with some hand pressing.

Latest posts

Latest posts