What's new

Has the Higgs boson been found? Signs point to ... almost

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Let's break it down to layman analogy. It's tough oversimplifying complex shit so bear with me.

We have a room full of physicists. This represents particle mass within the Higgs field. In walks Einstein, attracting every physicist, i.e. particle in the room. This attraction slows Einstein's movement, rendering a quark, i.e. particle mass attraction yet no organization or application.

In walks a grad student who attracts no attention. He's able to move freely about the room, i.e. the Higgs field. The grad student is an electron. At some point, the grad student renders instructions (for lack of a better word) and the physicists use this information to render their application(s). Applications might form a gas or dust cloud or maybe an ice formation. These and other formations go on to make up every element of the universe.

Theoretically, the standard model is expected to answer every question about the cosmos. Without the Higgs Boson, variables within the standard model have no known quantity and our theories remain theories. The god particle may allow us to render known quantities for these variables, rendering at least some of our theories as laws, i.e. more accurate theories that virtually nobody contests.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
yes thats what they say but its a pile of rubbish to back up the incorrect gravity model that millions of people do actually contest,, and those are highly intelligent people not the troglodytes staring at the cave wall that fall for these anthropomorphic brain farts every second of every day..

but your right that their theories do really badly need this imaginary particle,, and here it is huh!

what a coincidence that they found it,, modern consensus astrophysics must all be infallible now,,

dumb de dumb dumb dumb

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is the real discovery

PZOBW.jpg

NotaProfessor

5 SIGMA, yeah baby!!!!!!!!! Discovery discovery discovery!!!!!!!
I don't want to start a fight but 6 sigma is the standard for acceptance of evidence for new particles in particle physics. If you doubt it just look at all the weasel words from the guys in the know. Sooooo close yet still no cigar.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DB,
the analogy i remember was describing the higgs field as a froth (using large bubble, bubble wrap as the example)... in that the "bubbles" acted as resistance on all the particles in the universe.

while large masses ( like a large kick ball ) can move through the higgs field ( over the bubble wrap) without having its inertia being greatly effected... while on the other hand smaller radiation type particles ( tennis balls ) are much more affected by the froth ( large bubbles of bubble wrap) slowing them down thereby allowing them to congeal together form mass and begin attracting other particles through gravity.

the standard model could also just be wrong... and not just missing some detail.

the variables you refer to could just as well be the reason there is no unifying theory of everything... cause the current theories don't have mass and gravity understood, not because of some elusive theoretical particle...
even if you could point on a computer screen and show me the trail left by the higgs particle in their sensors, how does that prove that... that exact particle is responsible for giving mass to matter and structure to the universe?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
yes thats what they say but its a pile of rubbish to back up the incorrect gravity model that millions of people do actually contest,

Sorry, we don't have millions of physicists. Particularly astro physicists which number about 2000.

There may be millions who lean toward a spiritual explanation and or millions who see themselves capable of understanding something they're not necessarily degreed. Some have a tendency to scoff at science itself.

I personally don't think a blueprint entity is too far out to conceive. We know stem cells instruct benign sacs of protoplasm to make things like heart valves, nerve endings and ultimately everything in our bodies.

If and when we're able to substitute measured quantities for variables, we'll understand more of our surroundings.

We didn't just accomplish near space travel by designing and implementing man-made hardware. We had to know what makes up near space and how to interact with it. Quantum physics might not lead to interstellar space travel but we can still learn more about the universe. IMO, kinda nice when we can explain some of the images we see in telescopes, some of which no longer exist.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
i wish i could explain how childish and inane all of this stuff is,, only when people can see how much it flies in the face of truth for themselves would they understand how i could make what appears such a pompous statement

You can, you have (in another thread) I can only imagine your inability to do so here in this thread is a fear your views on how it all really works wouldn't be as well recieved.

and the idiot box is the highway to getting garbage into peoples heads so they can be manipulated later on isnt it ? ..

What? You question your own beliefs? How can you be sure of anything then?

ever notice that people that dont know shit about physics(ie the general public) or even know anything about the physics behind the big bang/blackholes/dark matter itself so badly want to defend it ? i find it really disturbing.. its a bit like the gangs of literalist christians lead by murderous "saints" for the church that used to get riled up and then go and murder the shamans and witch doctors that searched for truth outside of their brainwashing,, like hypathia and the alexandrian library..

Yeah kind of like the way... oh I don't know... the people who believe in an electric universe so badly want to defend that theory. Imagine that though, people wanting badly to defend the things they believe in, it's shocking I tell you (no pun intended. Sarcasm yes, pun no). :rolleyes:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
:yeahthats's well said imo,,

the electric universe physicists would say that

-Energy, Mass and the speed of light are all properties of matter,,

-Electromagnetic energy is stored in the orbital substructure of subatomic particles and manifests as their mass,,

- the mass of a particle is a measure of how much energy is absorbed in deformation of a particle instead of its acceleration..

- Electromagnetic radiation requires the presence of matter

- the speed of light can be seen as a measure of the initial response of the subatomic particles to a varying near instantaneous electrical force. making it an aspect of the material medium,, the aether..

- a near instantaneous electric force implies a universal time..

- quantum energy tranfers occur between resonant orbital systems..

the electrical force is 10 to the power 39 times more powerful than gravity which is one of the weakest forces in nature.. and also the speed of light cannot be the universal limit for speed like e=mc2 assumes because the results of the forces in our universe are obviously instantaneous..

basically this whole higgs boson "god particle" is an attempt to counter these facts (as i see them) and further back the principle of uniformity..

See there you go, I knew you could do it. I guess it helped though having someone post a similar view of Higgs Boson?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Higgs Boson goes into a Catholic church.

The priest says, "You're not welcome here."

Higgs Boson says "You can't have mass without me."

Hank Hemp

Veteran
All I want to know is when do I get my starship with the free coke? You know the one Grace Slick sang about on the first Starship LP.

TPIMP

I didnt have the concentration needed to read through the whole thread but how would finding this particle change anything?

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Higgs Boson part 1

So when things don't equate there is a mad dash to figure out how scientists can create some new input or variable that will allow them to come within scale of their expected results.

maybe the list of particles and their properties is incorrect/incomplete... and like I've illustrated the "math machine" doesn't work in the first place.

their math falls apart with mass as an inherent property because they can't do the math accurately enough... if you round off at any decimal point then its not a true measurement and further more in between any two measurements there is an Infinite possibility of smaller scale measurements... so if that is the case for a 12 inch ruler, how can anyone pretend to measure something as large as the universe or as small as a sub atomic particle.

modern technological science

... "Due you presume to criticize?... its too complex for you to understand, so leave it to me to tell what reality is with all these fancy gizmos... that in reality can't measure anything, but since you have faith in science and mathematics you'll believe anything I say"

peace,
Infi

Last edited: