What's new

Has Marijuana really got any better?

offthehook

Veteran
@Bajangreen, I think this picture of 'her making us her slaves' will be completely different after we've suspended these prohibitionist all from street lamps, ^^ lol

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Are you kidding?!?!

There used to be brown lumps of smashed seeds that people called lids.

Now one can buy painted seeds that are autoflowering feminized McCannabis!!! The masses demand it!!!

What's not to like about that?? :rolleyes:

But seriously.... progress is being made in real directions... in more than one place.

There are people that are aware what they are doing is forever altering posterity of both species.

I won't say that there isn't bastardization but then again Kris Kristofferson said:

Don't let the bastards get you down.

Short answer: Yes I think it's really gotten better.

Long answer: But I think it has gotten worse in few ways.

sprinkl

Veteran
I want people to remember this is a plant, she was here from the beginning, she has made us her slaves, and she will continue to adapt.

It's one of the few plants that can provide nearly everything we need.
Food, energy, medication, a bunch of very different recreational highs, fibre for clothes and materials, in ways safer to human and nature than the alternatives the industries offer us. So much potential yet so much is untapped...
Trillions invested into science, meds, energy, metal, food, etc while a natural solution is right in front of us.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
theres a big difference between being two sexes and producing male pollen as a last chance survival method. otherwise self pollenation wouldnt create female only seeds- the females dont have a males genetic imput to create male ofspring. so a female is genetically female just with herm tendances.

apart from that i disagree with the op and agree with everyone else.

"Feminized seeds" can still produce a male offspring, it is just rare.
There have been several example of male plants coming from fem seeds even on these boards.

Ranger

1 more vote for no different here. you have more new hybrids floating around which is cool, but overall it's no different really.

B

bajangreen

1 more vote for no different here. you have more new hybrids floating around which is cool, but overall it's no different really.

Weed in general is better, or a better way to put it, better weed is available generally.

gone are the days when lambsbread is smoked by 5 elder rastaman on the top of blue mounting. now everyone can get that shit.

T

ThirstyKenny

I used to get more stoned/high in the late 70's, early 80's than i do now. Immunity/tolerence to thc has increased over the years maybe

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
There are so many breeders out there now and so many strains that I can't keep track; but I was thinking today, are these new strains really any different or better than what we were smoking 15 years ago?
I think they are no different than the Skunk, NL, White Widow that I was growing 15 years ago.
Because really, those strains then had THC and CBD and the new strains have THC and CBD, it's just the same thing, nothing new is being created, just the names are changing, just re-inventing the wheel. It's not like some new drug with different chemicals is being created.
People might rave about Chemdogs and such and say it's really strong because it puts you on your ass; but the first grow I did years ago was some bagseed that looked like a wild Afghani, and people were asking me if I had put anything in it, because it really knocked you on your ass.
It's maybe that all the modern breeding is bullshit and hype, just smoke and mirrors, the names and hype change but the product is still basically the same.
Maybe we just need about five strains to choose from; a pure sative and a pure indica and then a few in between; that would cover all bases.
When you go to the liquor store ,
you get a choice of many many products,
you get to know what suits you after you try a few,
some folks stick with t hat ,
others like to continually expand their palates ...
(how many types of beer is there)
some folks drink to get drunk ,
others for a pleasant buzz ..

I dont think anyone would be happy with just 5 to choose from do you??

I dont see cannabis too differently,
some folks dont care how it tastes,
so long as they are drooling in their chairs after a toke,
others need it to taste good ,
and need to be able to function ,
horses for courses ...

Just for a note,
how we grow weed has changed a lot,
the herb us older fellas rave about was not grown indoors just for a start ,
the modern cannabis breeder has had his work cut out producing something with that old high we loved ,
that is able to grow in the environment we have created,
and have the bag appeal that is called for by the consumer...

Its essential for the consumer to do some study before thinking to purchase cannabis seeds ,
as it is when you purchase anything,
or you risk the chance of being taken for a ride ,
and not getting what you wanted ..

The way I see it is that there is more homegrown more crosses.Just a lot more people growing and I think that's a good thing.

zing

There is better weed available to the average person, but still a lot of junk from the commercial crowd.

Here there seems to be a shift to quality, gone are the ak47, c99, and hyped up og's. Those are being replaced by mango haze,nh, hell even some old stuff like MG are floating around more. Glad to see the cash croppers do some 12+ week stuff for a change.

R

Rjrom90

Just for a note,
how we grow weed has changed a lot,
the herb us older fellas rave about was not grown indoors just for a start ,
the modern cannabis breeder has had his work cut out producing something with that old high we loved ,
that is able to grow in the environment we have created,
and have the bag appeal that is called for by the consumer...
Well said... maybe the shift towards higher tech in grow rooms could soon allow easier breeding for the finicky land race genetic traits we all love.

rangergord

As I see it 15 years ago I started growing indoors for the first time. I did some outdoor in the early eighties with mexican sativa seeds and it was not until the advancement of landrace indica/sativa hybrids became avaliable that things really took off. 15 years ago seed breeders and companies were fewer and seeds were more expensive. Today there is more variety than ever at ever lower prices. As indica/sativa hybrids launched the modern growing scene, autoflowering types revolutionized growing to encompass even the polar regions. Then there is feminization. Another revolution. New or old genetics come into peoples hands with never before seen frequency. We can't go back and it remains to be seen what rewards lie ahead.

B

blue green

I like how some less experienced people see a frosty bud and say 'that's good hydro'. :)

Skunkenstein

I've been in the Game since the Late 90,s and I would say the choices and availability is the best its ever been.On the other hand I'm glad I could for see the Seed Industry turning to Greed orientated Shit! Every yr I grabbed all the regular Bred seed I could afford from reputable outfits. My goal is too maintain these Genetics intact the best I can, and do my Own dream crosses as time permits. There are so many Tastes and Preferences, I regard Cannabis like Wine. I find it almost Impossible to grow one strain..they all have nuances and effects that are Unique to Each. Believe me,, there are many people doing their Best to preserve the Cream of the Crop..and I am not the only one! Unfortunately 98% of the growers are concerned with the bottom Line, and don't even Know how to Grow a seed..I find that absurd, and therein Lies the Problem!

Ranger

Weed in general is better, or a better way to put it, better weed is available generally.

gone are the days when lambsbread is smoked by 5 elder rastaman on the top of blue mounting. now everyone can get that shit.

no it's really not, unless you personally didn't have access to it back then, I had plenty of it. I will say we have a larger variety today and more availability, but the high hasn't changed one bit.

I think it's comical to see people talk about how much better a plant is today verses 30-40 years ago, when it's been around for tens of thousands of years. Unless you're going GMO you haven't changed the genetics, just combined them.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
no it's really not, unless you personally didn't have access to it back then, I had plenty of it. I will say we have a larger variety today and more availability, but the high hasn't changed one bit.

I think it's comical to see people talk about how much better a plant is today verses 30-40 years ago, when it's been around for tens of thousands of years. Unless you're going GMO you haven't changed the genetics, just combined them.

Combining them changes the genetics, same thing they done with corn and wheat and all other cereal grains for thousands of years.

offthehook

Veteran
Without the recently intergrated auto gene I would not have had the possibility to pull off a decent outdoor grow at my lattitude this easy.

So yeh, fromout this point of view things seem to have gotten real much better meanwhile.