What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has Covid in the US affected wholesale Canadian prices?

Tynehead Tom

pot stores are busier than ever and people in general are taking advantage of the legal 4 plant count. I have been schooling new growers via skype and zoom for the past year and have over a dozen people who started growing in 2020. All my friends are growing in tents now and even my brother bought a tent..... think he might have just joined icmag today..... not sure\

I also don't think the government gives a flying phuck about the "acmpr" and I forsee it being made even easier to access in the coming years with the right people doing the lobbying.... getting away from the dana larsen and marc emery and associates, wife included.
I went thru a consultant to get my original grow license (29 outdoor/110indoor) but now I have a regular family doctor that understands my needs, use and reasons for needing 100 ish plants inside ..... clones, seedlings, mothers, flowering plants all make up that count so it is not like I'm flowering 110 plants in one go.... though i guess i could.

Dealers who grow to sell a few pounds, ounces, whatever..... will be and are pretty much already a thing of the past and that was the government and rcmp's intent. Busting mom and pop grow ops isn't something that fast tracks your career anymore.... there is bigger fish to fry.

as far as the conservatives are concerned..... when my renewal was already a month over my renewal date.... blamed on covid and a work from home workforce...... I made a call to my long time serving conservative MP and lo and behold my renewal was done and in the mail to me within 2 weeks.

So much paranoia in this room LOL
Health Canada is approving licenses at an alarming rate as far as the numbers go BUT they are starting to ask folks for secondary information to verify thier medical conditions.... such as CT and MRI results ect

fortunately for me my medical history supports the use of cannabis as being highly beneficial to keep me off other more addictive substances.

anyhow..... I see so many people in the canadian forum posting comments on these topics and others but search as i might very few are actually posting even a single plant.
Some are just here to sow seeds of doubt and paranoia there is no doubt.

CaptainDankness

I believe the price of weed is going to continue to drop, there's just so much competition these days. Not like back in the day when we mostly had garbage Mexican brick and over priced Canadian weed.

mikeross

@Tynehead Tom... I agree with a lot of your opinion.

Definitely an increase in tent sales last 2 years lol. The shop owners who stuck it out, I would assume are doing better but so many shut down over the years. So much more content being uploaded and shared but unfortunately its all geared towards people new to growing. You really have to research and search hard for more in depth discussions on certain topics.

I do think there is going to be some changes after Oct2021 review of the Cannabis act. Too many loop holes now. I just think they will tighten it up a little but still allow home grows with decent size licenses. The 150g a day license or multiple 95g per day scripts all registered to the same residential address might have some concern come Oct IMO.

Its unfortunate the Mom and Pop growers with their 4-6 lights setup have been pushed out. Still a few around I'm sure, growing fire, selling to the same people they have the last 20+ years. I'd say 90% of growers I knew, growing with 10 lights of less have all shut down. Guys still in the game doubled up their lights and switched to DE. Making similar money but almost double the workload.

Health Canada verifying medical conditions is BS though. I've got so many snowboarding accidents, which I assume are in my file, but never followed up taking prescribed pain pills. I've been self medicating for almost 20 years with little to no medical history.

There plenty of paranoia because its just been part of growing in Canada for so many years. It's only in the last 2 years that there was a path to a license. Before that there always that thought in the back of your head when your gonna get a knock on your door, much less it get smashed down.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mmm last I spoke with a shop owner he was losing 10k a month customers and having them replaced with 4 planters. They spend a hilarious amount of money to grow a lb or two but it's not the same volume.

Anyone who thinks the acmpr will be left alone is naive as all hell. It's producing the majority of the bm product. I expect increased scrutiny for anyone with a high script.

Tynehead Tom

Mikell
I don't think you are wrong when it comes to the operations with 4 large plant counts , in a warehouse , with a designated grower on site. Operations pumping pounds like clockwork of one to 3 varieties like Pink, Violator and death bubba or rockstar ect ect. Some of us even know folks tied up in those gigs. I agree.... those folks are going to probably have some issues going forward. If I was one of those folks..... I would be banking my cake and using it to get some kind of education that will make me employable in todays day n age outside of the weed game. Sink or Swim when it all goes to shyte. LOL

However, guys like me, on disability , with diagnoses from the top neurosurgeons in the country saying they can't fix me. 80% chance the surgery would paralyze my lower body completely accompanied by the risk of the surgery being fatal simply due to how they would need to access the site. Quoting my physician, "The anti inflamatory and nerve calming affects of cannabis are essential to *****'s quality of life "

So due to being disabled , I cannot afford LP cannabis plain and simple, so therefore must be able to grow my own.

The courts have already weighed in on the type of access an "acmpr" patient (this term is obsolete under trudeau's cannabis act circa 2017) requires and must be provided.

I'm not too concerned going forward but then again I don't have 4 licenses with max plant counts in a warehouse out back LOL

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah I misread that first reply. Anyone with a legimate script I don't see having an issue. At worst one day someone drops in to make sure it's up to code. After they write a code lmao. Bit of a wild west in that regard.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I've never seen wholesale price of Cannabis this low. Moving averages have been trending lower and lower over the years but this year seems a little different.

Do you think Covid, border closures and US Covid cases have had an impact on current wholesale prices or is this the new bottom? Prices 6 months ago were literally 30-40% higher.

With grow cycles, you can't really compare prices unless you look at year over year. Especially near christmas time when our substantial outdoor harvest is just coming out of cure. At least, for the good stuff.

That said, I've seen 14-1800 all year. That's for stuff you'd see in a magazine. That price barely moves, and if it does, it's up. Keep in mind, that's not produced in bulk, and when I see it, it's not in boxes.

Black market is obviously winning the battle. Lots of big LP's already closed shop or showing losses.

October 2021 is the Cannabis act/ACMPR 3 year review. I hope they don't try and mess things up by doing an over hall on the current regulations regarding home grows/personal production licenses. I've noticed a few news articles this year regarding organized crime and legal licenses which is BS and a very very small issues in the community.

If you can think of something that would affect the BM, then that will give you a pretty good guess as to the direction they'll go in. That's a double edge sword though. I suspect they'll do away with us having to pay a consultant fee for a script. I also think the wait times for HC approval are going to disappear. I mean I can get my prescription for antibiotics filled in 10 minutes, and I expect approval for a script from HC will disappear unless it's over 30gr/day. By doing this, they'll take a big bite out of the high plant count BM pretend med grows. The BM will still be there, but Organized Crime (OC) will be pushed aside by a flood of mom and pop BM growers. Remember, apart from the potential tax windfall, they want to take the legs out from under OC.

It pissed me off to high heaven when I saw the media take the cop's quote verbatim, over and over, -"The bad guys are using a loophole to grow ten thousand+ plants." without correcting the cops on their dumb statement. The "bad guys" weren't exploiting any loopholes, they were just breaking the law as OC does. Period.

ortsa1

this thread hasn't been updated in awhile. What prices are people seeing for flower now? I'm seeing people trying to dump really nice stuff for as low as $500 a pound

mikeross

this thread hasn't been updated in awhile. What prices are people seeing for flower now? I'm seeing people trying to dump really nice stuff for as low as $500 a pound

$500 a pound is dirt cheap for "really nice stuff" IMO. That's the going rate in the Lower Mainland for AA+, which the market is flooded with. Real nice AAA+ I've seen go for anywhere between 900-1200 and real nice quads 1500+... seen as high as 1800 actually recently.

Anyone hear anything lately regarding the Health Canada review coming up in October?

Latest posts

Latest posts