What's new

Has anyone grown Purple Haze x Chitral?

B

bench warmer

I'm currently growing a Grapefruit/Mango x Purple Haze and have been curious about just what the Purple Haze has to offer.

It will be very interesting to see how this turns out for you snowday.

Good luck.

bench

S

snowday

I'm currently growing a Grapefruit/Mango x Purple Haze and have been curious about just what the Purple Haze has to offer.

It will be very interesting to see how this turns out for you snowday.

Good luck.

bench

Thanks, bench - hope your grow goes well. That sounds like a delicious cross!

S

snowday

Clones were taken today as part of clearing undergrowth of the POTHxPCK. Here's the Bangi Haze that's along for the ride. It looks like it's a girl.

The preflower in the top right of this image is almost irrefutably female:
picture.php

Here's another node on that BH:
picture.php

Anyone disagree with the assertion that this BH is a lady?

B

bench warmer

I'd have to agree the white pistle peeking out from the bottom left corner (in the second pic above) indicates it's female.

S

scai

100% lady.
If it was male it would show tiny balls on every branchbase. (what is the right word?)
If bases are clear, it is female and show pistils or nothing during beginning of flowering.
Balls show at very early stage.
Easy to pick males out then.

S

snowday

Thanks to bench and scai for your experienced confirmations. Crossing these two would have been interesting as the Bangi is often purple in its own right, but there's plenty of time now to contemplate the right male to pollinate the clones.

Waldgeist

Most plants, including cannabis, have genes that (when expressed) are encoded with the right info to create a working heat defense boost via the heat shock proteins (HSP) I mentioned.

The process that triggers the activation of the HSP genes need not occur at a specific phase in the maturity cycle, but should never be initiated until at earliest the cultivar is established, healthy, and in a young adult growth phase. It's unwise to do this during flowering as you don't want to distract her with this when she's packing on the sinse! You can heat stress an older mother in veg as she'll have the genes too, they've just been dormant (assuming you've regulated temps to keep 70-80 F).

Hardier, larger cultivars can withstand non-fatal heat doses that would kill a 5 node plant that has barely past the seedling milestone, but IMHO it's better to activate the HSP system when there's far less plant mass to recover from the stress.

It's a simple treatment; 90F (no hotter) for 1 hour, wait a day, repeat once more. It's best to water prior to this so the root mass is cooler.

Once active, the HSPs are transcribed during each cellular replication. This means you won't need to heat shock clones taken from a mother that has already been heat shocked.

Great Info! Thank you:tiphat:

S

snowday

Thanks, Waldgeist - it's least I can do to share knowledge with this kickass community. I'm already seeing the benefit of activating the heat shock genes in the cloner (which gets little air flow during rooting).

More clones taken just to be on the safe side. Then stepped photoperiod down to 12/12, reset the clock to day 1!

PHxPCK on the left, BH on the right:

picture.php

Top down view on the PHxPCK, which is filling out beautifully:

picture.php

peace,
snowday

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Nice bushes snowday. The Purple Haze x Purple PCK looks beautiful.

Hope they are flowering nicely now in mid flowering.

S

snowday

Thanks, Dubi! It's time for an update - as you can see undergrowth pruning and removal of popcorn shoots in the shadow of the canopy has been a priority along with delicate and selective upper defoliation of fan leaves casting shadows on larger bud sites.

Overall both plants are very happy so far. Feeding lightly every 3rd gallon. The BH is frosting up faster than the PHxPCK, so I'm expecting the BH to be ready at least 1 or 2 weeks before the PHxPCK.

I am looking forward to observing the color changes in the coming weeks; the purpling has begun!

These photos are from day 45 of flowering. First up is the group; stretch has been significant but is slowing. PHxPCK on the left, BH on the right:

picture.php

BH - she's packing on decent weight for 6.5 weeks:

picture.php

Last edited:
S

snowday

Here's the PH-PCK closeup - once the purpling is more apparent the HPS will be off so photos won't have that oompa-loompa vibe.

picture.php

Last edited:
S

snowday

Hola, amigos. Back for an update. First up is the Bangi Haze, harvested a couple of weeks ago when they were @ 75 days flowering. Here's a post-chop, post-first pass trim look at this beauty. The roots, lower branches, and some leaves/popcorn bud was left intact for a re-veg attempt. This BH pheno is a top-notch sativa.

Probably 2 zips when cured. First a nice cola:

picture.php

The spears are nice, decent haul for 2 gallons of soil:

picture.php

The BH is already fantastic smoke but needs a bit more curing. But this is the Purple Haze x Chitral thread, so moving along...

S

snowday

Week 13 of flowering begins...

Week 13 of flowering begins...

Now back to the topic - the Purple Haze x Chitral.

These photos are all from exactly 13 weeks flowering. At 12 weeks lights were adjusted to 11/13. This pheno seems to be very Haze-leaning in the flowering time department.

Temps have been on the warm side (~80F) so perhaps that's part of why this entire bud isn't purple at 13 weeks; could be the pheno as well. Samples from the subgrowth shadows were bisected along the stem and it's apparent this pheno purples from the inside out. You can see where the purpling has slowly started to become visible on the surface in this shot:

picture.php

S

snowday

Here you can see the PHxPCK has continued to grow like a monster and is quite happy to take over the canopy space left by the BH harvest. Many colas had to be carefully arranged diagonally or close to horizontal with extra support to keep it all under the lamp!

picture.php

S

snowday

Trichome pr0n

Trichome pr0n

Purple or not the chop will be dictated by the scope. Looks like it's approaching completion, but she still has far too many clear trichomes that should cloud up first.

Sample shown taken from 1 cm inner bud leaf clipped off about halfway down an average cola. The larger photo has been adjusted (lowered Gamma) to make the trichome opacity more discernible. 60x magnification.

Smaller unadjusted original shown first for comparison:
picture.php

After Gamma adjustment:
picture.php

:watchplant:

Peace,
snowday

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congrats on the Bangi Haze harvest, snowday. I'm glad you are enjoing her smoke!

Looks like the Purple Haze x PCK is still producing new flowers and enjoying the space left by the Bangi Haze. It's a good idea to decrease the photoperiod to 11/13.
Try to lower down a bit the temps to make faster the flowering, improve flower density, to intensify the purple colors and to avoid reflowerings.

S

snowday

Thanks, Dubi - the photoperiod was adjusted to 11/13 back at the end of week 12, but unfortunately the grow space isn't thermally independent so temps remained around 24C with the lights.

Even still the colors are beautiful. She was chopped at the end of week 13 as the trichomes of most colas had clouded, although I'm sure she would have kept going if allowed.

The yield was outstanding:

picture.php