What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD TO GIVE UP BONGS ?

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
I think one thing overlooked with vape pens are the materials in which they were constructed with. When heated are they still safe? China doesn't have the same reg's as the US so you can get away with a lot there. Lead paint, off-gassing from metal alloy's, etc..

Just something to think a about.

Couldnt agree more. I like my vape pen, but I really wonder how much better it is vs. using my rig and torch. I can taste an off taste when I switch out the atomizer, and I know that aint the shatter im putting in it.

Its just a battery and a coil that heats up like a filament in a lightbulb, surrounded by plastic. Years to go on vape pens imo.

Mine is kinda a piece of crap, Atmos Thermo. Not the worst, but man I hope theres much, much, MUCH better.

Skip

Veteran
Couldnt agree more. I like my vape pen, but I really wonder how much better it is vs. using my rig and torch. I can taste an off taste when I switch out the atomizer, and I know that aint the shatter im putting in it.

Its just a battery and a coil that heats up like a filament in a lightbulb, surrounded by plastic. Years to go on vape pens imo.

Mine is kinda a piece of crap, Atmos Thermo. Not the worst, but man I hope theres much, much, MUCH better.

There's a fast evolution going on with Vape Pens. They still have a ways to go yet, as each has it's advantages and drawbacks.

I was amazed to see the variety and different approaches being designed.

Most Vape pens are metal, not plastic, although some have plastic or silicon over the metal.
Some of the burning chambers are ceramic, others all metal.

We're reviewing a few of the pens on the market for the next ICMag so check it out. :)

A

Asche

never touched a bong, at least not at home
i never understood that kind of masochism :D

keep rolling an easy joe a day
keeps the cravings away haha

no but seriously vaporizer are an interesting thing
just so expensive the good ones.. keep waiting for the right one!!!

I have used a glass bong for many many years. One day my friend turned me on to VRIP heat wand vaporizer.

The VRIP heat wand is amazing used thru a glass Roor bong. I get a huge rip of vapor thru the bong. The flavor of the Blueberry hybrid permeates my entire body from head to toe. Like drowning in an intense candy flavor. It is so delicious.

After using the VRIP I can not go back to smoking in a glass bong. I can now detect the nastiness of the combustible material that I never noticed before.

Also, using the VRIP I noticed I get a strong effect without the tired feeling that usually accompanies only using the glass bong.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Was just wondering if anyone else has had to give up bong hits due to health reasons. I always thought they were the best way of smoking because of the water filtering stuff out. Im gonna stick to joints now i think lol. I never had a problem with bongs till i turned 30, used to love them now it just feels like to much pressure on my lungs.

I'm a joint man myself but if you're wanting to change your habits for better health then joints are not the way to go as nothing is filtered and you're smoking paper and glue along with your weed.

The way you say, I'm going to stick to joints now suggests before you did a mixture of joints and bong hits. So what has likely happened is the toll over time of smoking joints has lowered lung capacity. You'll not really get that capacity back as long as you're smoking, whether it be bongs, or joints or pipes. With all of them you're still combusting things and what does damage to your longs is the by products created by that combustion.

Now I'm not suggesting you give up smoking to get your lung capacity back as no die hard stoner will ever do that willingly. Besides it would take a few years. If health concerns are important enough to make you willing to change your only real viable options are to go the vaporizer route or go the edibles route. The vaporizer is probably your best shot as it's closest to smoking although if you're like many long time smokers you'll find there is just something lacking in the vap hits. That's not to say it won't get the job of getting you high done but the high just won't feel quite the same and you'll be like most who run into this problem and say "something feels like it's missing".

Going the edibles route is very different, at least in my opinion the high is slower in coming on and once it hits you it can seem like too much. So you lose that instant gratification (takes about an hour for edibles to hit, although it varies with your body's metabolism). Another drawback is that edibles stay with you longer and can be a problem if you want a buzz now but don't want to be high still 2 hours latter.

One thing you could try that always helped me with bong hits is to add some ice to the water.

graham12

I'm a joint man myself but if you're wanting to change your habits for better health then joints are not the way to go as nothing is filtered and you're smoking paper and glue along with your weed.

The way you say, I'm going to stick to joints now suggests before you did a mixture of joints and bong hits. So what has likely happened is the toll over time of smoking joints has lowered lung capacity. You'll not really get that capacity back as long as you're smoking, whether it be bongs, or joints or pipes. With all of them you're still combusting things and what does damage to your longs is the by products created by that combustion.

Now I'm not suggesting you give up smoking to get your lung capacity back as no die hard stoner will ever do that willingly. Besides it would take a few years. If health concerns are important enough to make you willing to change your only real viable options are to go the vaporizer route or go the edibles route. The vaporizer is probably your best shot as it's closest to smoking although if you're like many long time smokers you'll find there is just something lacking in the vap hits. That's not to say it won't get the job of getting you high done but the high just won't feel quite the same and you'll be like most who run into this problem and say "something feels like it's missing".

Going the edibles route is very different, at least in my opinion the high is slower in coming on and once it hits you it can seem like too much. So you lose that instant gratification (takes about an hour for edibles to hit, although it varies with your body's metabolism). Another drawback is that edibles stay with you longer and can be a problem if you want a buzz now but don't want to be high still 2 hours latter.

One thing you could try that always helped me with bong hits is to add some ice to the water.

Thanks Hempkat all of that makes great sense, I will cut back for a month now i think. As much as love weed and hash it is easy to quit and iv had no problems giving up bongs. I think some of it might have to do with the binge mentality of us brits lol. With alcohol we binge, with junk food we binge, and now with cannabis we seeing the same problems in A&E with people coming in having massive panic attacks.

graham12

As i said earlier my problem is my own stupidity in not cutting back. I read allot of terence mckenna and he said quite simply that the people who have problems with weed or hash are the ones that use it wrong. by smoking a joint sporadically through the day taking no more than a few puffs at a time i get more out of it for some reason. where as before my mentality was to get fucked out of my head on as little weed as possible and as effectivley as possible. This in my mind is abuse and iv had to give myself a serious talking to about it.A pothead like myself isnt good for the legalisation efforts of those who try hard to get to get this drug legalised. Time to grow up and put the bong down lol... For me that is. Please
dont think im giving anyone else any lectures. Im sure most of you have common sense which i seem to lack lol.

Blue Socks

I like to take a couple big rips from my glass bong before I work out. I haven't noticed any detrimental effect on my lungs. If anything the weed is helping me the way it feels. Everyone's body is different though

ozzieAI

Veteran
yes and no...

i run my vap through my bong...

picture.php

works a treat...

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
where as before my mentality was to get fucked out of my head on as little weed as possible and as effectivley as possible.

This and some other things you said previously gives me the impression you've been trying to go with the most potent strains you can find. Now this all seems to make good sense from a very generalized viewpoint of wanting to only smoke small amount and yet get as wrecked as possible. However, over the 40 some years I've been smoking weed I've noticed that the strains that are hardest on my lungs are the most potent ones. Regardless of how I smoke them. So maybe the solution isn't to so much change your style of smoking as it is to change the strains you choose? Like instead of going with the most potent ones go with something more average?

BudToaster

Veteran
... However, over the 40 some years I've been smoking weed I've noticed that the strains that are hardest on my lungs are the most potent ones. Regardless of how I smoke them. ...

i find this to be true even using my vaporizer ... luck for me that the bud fairy usually only has mids.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I gave up on bongs a long time ago after I broke so many of them. I don't like pipes either or anything else that needs to be cleaned regularly. I like the pure unadulterated smoke from a joint with a good quality hemp rolling paper.

b8man

Veteran
One small bong rip before switching to an evening of vape-ing is the way to go. Makes the vapour gently catch you as your bong hit starts to subside.

If I vape alone I miss the rush of getting a bulkload of cannabinoids dumped onto my brain. Vapeing is great, but it seems to make all weed creeper-weed. That's my experience anyway.

Professor77

My wife and fatherinlaw (r.i.p. - lung tumor) are/were lifetime bamboo bong smokers (we live in SE Asia where glass bongs are hardish to find) and both use(d) about 1/4-1/3 oz daily each. My wife is mid 40s and coughs like an 80 yr old with emphysema and my fatherinlaw died from lung disease. I am a 45 year smoker and barely a cough now that I switched from joints to a vape with a minibong on top (fbomb and solo).

Hash Man

I have imported the same exig as the eskillet from china. I purposely burned one out and when it died it let off a single puff of white smoke from the skillet. There was never any concentrate in the pen, so what was the white puff of smoke i luckily dis not inhale? Since then i use a healthstone.

sprinkl

Veteran
I've been thinking about this... With joints I don't breath the smoke in as deep or hold it as long. With bongs I take bigger, deeper hits that I hold longer.
When I hit a joint my mouth becomes the "vacuum chamber" that draws in smoke, with a bong your lung becomes the vacuum chamber. As your chest expands your lungs go with it but they have to withstand more pressure than if you're breathing normally because they have to pull air through water.

These seem like two factors that could make bong smoking harder for the lungs... My job is working with meat and smoked meat is crusty, with a dry layer and less flexible, putting pressure on a smoked lung seems like a good recipe to tear some shit up...
Been smoking euro style mixed spliffs 2-3 average a day for 10 years and cigarettes(not much, also 2-3 average I'd say), a few rare bong hits here and there and there's nothing wrong with my lungs, no squeezing or shortness of air, capacity is as good as ever.
Girlfriend probably smoked about as much or less weed but a lot more cigs for about the same period, she squeezes like a mouse...

Latest posts

Latest posts