What's new

Has Anyone Done This BEFORE?

B

BasementGrower

ok so i was thinking.. how can u grow a huge plant.. but then flower it out without worrying about the stretch.. then i thought of how these dudes do screens and such.

then i was like what if ... u take a plant... thats about the length of your room in height.. then take the plant.. transplant it into a container side ways.. so that the stem is pointing out instead of up... then allow the plant to turn the leaves n such into the lights..

and doing this.. should .. allow all the branches down the plant to turn into colas? or tops . has anyone tried this?

here is a crap pic i drew up real quick to just show u what i was talkin about dont judge the pic. just get the idea from it ?

picture.php

EarthDirtMcGirt

i actually just did this with my room! very ironic. its an old tomato gardening technique. my only issue was i didnt really continue to train them with a screen and keep them flat as i had planned.. so it all just grew back up. the cool thing about not having the screen was that each plant created a stadium like structure all on one side. its kind of a pain to move my canopy around since my pots have to be intertwined with the plants. and i did have a decent amount of stretching..which didnt help at all.. but i also used this strange technique with wooden dowel rods (and garden ties with some) in combination, these methods have shown a lot of promise. today is beginning of week 6 and i have a bunch of photos that i can show you. i just did a full defoliation as well. so i get full light penetration throughout the plant as well as the stadium style plant structure. nifty stuff! i love grow room experiments!

G

gloryoskie

Here is a Zamaldelica I run in a box with only
24" height. Potted in a 16 oz. coco hempy cup,
if it were left untrained the plant would easily
out grow the box.

I vegged the cutting a week or so and flipped.
As the plant stretched I tied the main stem to
the top edge of the plastic cup. I hang heavy
steel washers to the far side of the 16 oz cup to
counter the uneven weight.

Periodically I added tie downs and trained.
Plant matures around 110 days, no topping.

I use this technique for all my stretchy gals.
They love it!

picture.php

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
your trying to hard

top it then flower, put it in small containers, top it many times, hit flower before getting a nice size, tie it down ( LST ) , SOG , SCROG, take some clones and flower before rooting...

second, who the hell would grow a plant that tall.. your pot would tip just by putting it in like that, if you can even get it to stay.... bad ideas, bad ideas..

take your pick

Femora

Just a lil brainstorm..
"What if".... You have move plants to the ceiling and train them to a lightsource undetneath the pot. Anyone tried it?
Would increase the lightefficiency when having bare bulbs.. Eh?

Posting from phone.. Sry for typos

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
"What if".... You have move plants to the ceiling and train them to a lightsource undetneath the pot. Anyone tried it?
Would increase the lightefficiency when having bare bulbs.. Eh?

Plants do reach for the light. They also grow opposite the pull of gravity. :thinking: Give it a try and show us how it works out.

B

BasementGrower

well thats why i post it up.. i was asking to see whose done it. if its worked.. or a bad idea.. basicly.. i am going to do it outdoors this season.. trying to get a fat plant.. but not have people be able to see it from walkin by or anything of the sort.. but indoors.. its prety much the same thing as LST.. to get many tops.. its not a bad idea.. if u have plants that outgrow ur area.. iunno im just tossing an idea out there that i had when i was transplanting. i was thinking shit. i need as many tops as possible to get clones out of this plant.. so for mother plants it mite be a good idea to get many clones without the stress and work of LST.

B

BasementGrower

the entire cieling thing is wierd. but in all seriousness.. thats wat vertical is doing for u.. so u use 4 walls..

i wana go vert.. i just have a akward shaped room .. an i dont know what to do with it yet.

B

BasementGrower

as it mite be a better idea to do it outdoors honestly.. i have issues growing REAL TREES like 1 per 1000w light.. i havent tried yet. but i dont know if i wana go threw the veg time..

Femora

Imagine going vert with a roof.. That would be "5" walls, and another 15-20% yield per light. :)

Yeah, if noone has tried the ceiling-thing, I will... :)

I just hope the power of reaching the light is bigger then the invert-gravity-stretch :)

T

that smell

saw an outdoor thread where the grower would take wire in u shape and stake the plant 6 inches or so from the ground as it grew. that way it stayed incospicious and it allowed even light penetration to all bud sites. It was pretty impressive. Same thing but not i guess. In a room with vert light i just cant imagine theres any difference whether it runs up or sideways. I do vert and it truely kicks major ass

sal opette

ICMag Donor
it works

it works

"Has Anyone Done This BEFORE?" - YES

Does it work - YES

4 plants in a tent 3x3x6 they were too tall the largest 4ft at least even before switching to 12/12.

One plant in a 3-4 gallon pot in each corner, with the plant tops tied down diagonally to each corner post.

Here's the littlest one untied and out of the tent, she was well laid back but sprung back up again.

She is a "Kinda funny lookin'" Panama(Ace)xFlo(DP)

best to prune some of the lower branches that would end up getting no light, then leave a little recovery time before switching to flower...

Have fun....

B

BasementGrower

see thats wat i was talking about man. but i was thinking it would be cool to do for vertical.. but not so tipped over like my idea. more like ur plant.. around the bulbs? .. ? iunno just a idea honestly. i haventtried it yet. i think it will work better outside..

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
BasementGrower

What you initially described will work. As a plant in a pot it would be inefficient because (as already mentioned) the plant leans out far away from the container so the balance point is off and the container will want to tip over. You'd also have a small container of root space with wasted space under the rest of the plant. Why have that unused volume around your pots when it could be filled with roots instead? Most people train the plant to fill the vertical space above the container and use the largest container possible to fit their space.

I grow indoors in one gallon pots, under 400 watt lights which have a short vertical zone of light penetration. I keep my plants short and compact by training the plant down directly to the rim of the container with binder clips.

... i am going to do it outdoors this season.. trying to get a fat plant.. but not have people be able to see it from walkin by or anything of the sort..

This works great, especially if you're growing amongst similar looking plants. You can stake the plant down along the ground or even hold it down with rocks or bricks on the stem. The method works best with lanky plants with long internode spacing. Not so good with squatish indicas, but they already are short. Most plants reach a point where even in veg they'll go into a more flowering form with shorter internode spacing. This is your cutoff point for staking or clipping it down. You don't want bud contacting soil.

When you bend a plant down flat, whatever growth tip that is now the highest becomes the new dominant/terminal bud and will grow faster while sending out hormones to suppress the lower growing tips. So it helps to stake everything down to keep a constant relative height. You can also game this trait to encourage growth in the branches you choose. Since every stem now has an awkward bend near its base you may need to use stakes or suspend them from string to provide support.

But you can only grow so much bud from one plant. Your ultimate plant still needs to match your container. One plant can only do so much. And you'll be limited by veg time, especially if growing outdoors.

sal opette

ICMag Donor
HI BG

Yes it did end up a bit of a tied/vert thing in the end, with branches up around the bulb

The other 3 bigger bushier plants had to be tied down harder, the small one was allowed to straighten up a bit - as she stopped stretching first and was being overgrown and left in shadows.

This technique works best with sativas for me.

don't get hung up on one way over the other, read the plant and let it fill the space.

G

gloryoskie

BasementGrower

What you initially described will work. As a plant in a pot it would be inefficient because (as already mentioned) the plant leans out far away from the container so the balance point is off and the container will want to tip over. You'd also have a small container of root space with wasted space under the rest of the plant. Why have that unused volume around your pots when it could be filled with roots instead? Most people train the plant to fill the vertical space above the container and use the largest container possible to fit their space.

I grow indoors in one gallon pots, under 400 watt lights which have a short vertical zone of light penetration. I keep my plants short and compact by training the plant down directly to the rim of the container with binder clips.

I now understand the space under my LST'd
example plant is empty, unused.

I guess I took an over simplified approach.
Although I counter balanced the container
to avoid tipping, by training the plant to one
long spear I've actually brought potential
yield down from what's possible in the same
area.

I have another Zamaldelica in veg and will
attempt, through topping and LST, a more
upright proper bush like plant. The additional
time to train the bush in veg will be offset by
a greater yield, if I understand correctly.

Thanks for the excellent posts, am always
learning! I post my grows to show others
how I do it, you've used my grow to show
me and others how to do it better!

Yup, good stuff!

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
this is just lst pretty much. loads of training techniques have been used and i tie down stems to control stretch.

B

BasementGrower

ya i understand that basicly what im thinking of doing . is starting my outdoor plants early.. but the places i grow outdoors i need to keep them short.. but lugging out plants that are 3 feet tall with minimal branching is easier then bushes.. so i figure if i do this. and put them out there sideways and use a stake to keep them from tipping it will work.. indoors is a stupid idea.. i realized that after i said it lol..

but iunno i just am stuck kuz we just came down to the last couple months of the lease.. so we need to sign or head back home.. and i dont know how im going to do this. i have some vegging plants here.. because i wasnt plannin on losing my job.. so now i mite have to lug around 70 1 gallon pots with almost 2 foot plants.. bak 7 hours to my house in a uhaul !!! i need to figure this out.. i either need to see if they will do like a 4 month lease this time.. or something . i dont like the idea of getting pulled over with that many plants in the back ...!!!