What's new

Has anybody tried rice as an amendment?

Spaceman_Spiff

I've heard of using rice hulls because they are rich in silicates, but have not been able to resource any around here.

Has anybody used "Rice" as an amendment seems like pretty rich stuff. For a little more than $1.00 a pound it got me thinking.

High in carbs, fiber, antioxidants. Possible water retention value? Some comes enriched. So added vitamins and Iron.

NutrientsWhite riceTrusted SourceBrown riceTrusted SourceRecommended daily amountsTrusted Source
Iron (mg)2.81.18–18
Thiamin (mg)0.30.41.1–1.2
Niacin (mg)3.45.214–16
Vitamin B-6 (mg)0.10.31.3
Folate (mcg)10818.2400 (with additional needs during pregnancy)
Phosphorus (mg)68.8208700
Magnesium (mg)24.278.8310–420
Zinc (mg)0.81.48–11
Selenium (mcg)1411.755
Copper (mg)0.10.2900
Manganese (mg)0.72.0

pulled this chart off https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319797#differences
its for cooked rice in (mg) but just for ballparks and food for thought.

Spaceman_Spiff

So mix it and then cook it for a few weeks? Or hydrate and compost the rice first? Or just use less so the fungus doesn't overwhelm the mix?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Uncomposted matter in soil mix is not good, can invite pests, or create bad conditions for the plants you grow, so I would go with either long cook, or compost it if possible. But I don't think u can just hydrate and compost the rice alone.. you can try but it could end gross or smelly. I think they use rice in bokasi ferment type compost? Maybe u can find some info on that if you search for it.

St. Phatty

I think it depends what you're mixing it with.

If the soil has no silt, it will benefit from ANYTHING organic that can end being silt - the part of the soil that isn't sand or gravel.

But if I was going to try it, I would add some earthworms, so they can eat the moldy rice and turn it into earthworm castings.

St. Phatty

Food ANYTHING in the ground will lead animals to dig.

I observe them digging, even when it's just wet dirt.

That may be one way to get good soil - find an animal that eats dirt, then plant your seedlings in its poop.

Nannymouse

After a little thought, it might be fine to add some to the bokashi bucket. How much, i do not know. Maybe with bokashi, there isn't a limit, i dunno. Probably would break down faster if cooked, first?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
contact a beer and wine brewers supply for rice hulls and buy a 50# bag for the best price, brewers use them in small quantities.

they are $16 for a full sack from the greenhouse supply that carries them in my area and really work great for lightening up a mucky soil full of clay.

don't put rodent food (rice) in your potting mix even if it's high in vitamins.

rice hulls copy.jpg

plow pile.jpg

down 9.16.20 copy.JPG

mac1  macro.JPG

DSC_0274 copy.JPG

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That is pretty loam you have there. Using that rice as a carbon source kicked ass and that's plain to see. Those flowers still have some time to do but look like they are going to be killer. Keep us posted on those flowers.

KIS

One thing missing from this conversation is that rice and rice hulls are traditionally high in Arsenic. Just FYI and something to be aware of before using in your garden.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
I've heard of using rice hulls because they are rich in silicates, but have not been able to resource any around here.

Has anybody used "Rice" as an amendment seems like pretty rich stuff. For a little more than $1.00 a pound it got me thinking.

High in carbs, fiber, antioxidants. Possible water retention value? Some comes enriched. So added vitamins and Iron.

NutrientsWhite riceTrusted SourceBrown riceTrusted SourceRecommended daily amountsTrusted Source
Iron (mg)2.81.18–18
Thiamin (mg)0.30.41.1–1.2
Niacin (mg)3.45.214–16
Vitamin B-6 (mg)0.10.31.3
Folate (mcg)10818.2400 (with additional needs during pregnancy)
Phosphorus (mg)68.8208700
Magnesium (mg)24.278.8310–420
Zinc (mg)0.81.48–11
Selenium (mcg)1411.755
Copper (mg)0.10.2900
Manganese (mg)0.72.0

pulled this chart off https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319797#differences
its for cooked rice in (mg) but just for ballparks and food for thought.
I got a 50lb bag for 60$ with shipping I think but it was part of a mix for my 4 by 4 bed and I love the stuff seems like a great aeration tool. Thus far my girls love the mix and it’s at least 1/3 rice hills overall. Week 5 flower under 1,000w HPS

Attachments

• IMG_6906.jpeg
    IMG_6906.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20

Abdthi1966

Premium user
i may try that on my next run.. to use rice hulls instead of the inert perlite...
I think when you compare the silica benefits during the breakdown of the rice hulls, as well as its inherent ability to hold moisture. I’ve always just seen perlite as a drainage tool.