What's new

Harpin Proteins?????

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got some samples at the denver gro expo of axiom, just sprayed it on some males as a test.... prolly gon try it out on my plants, any one used Axiom plant harpins before?

company rep explained it to me,
I understand it like this:
similar to how vaccines are made of low low doses of specific viruses to trigger natural immune system responses, creating an "immunity".

:dunno:

I'll post follow up on my experience here...

Neo 420

Veteran
The plants can't optimise yield AND activate cell-death response
it's a choice of one or other.

So don't trust the 'research' of companies who want to sell you the product

Oh so true.....

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5287166&postcount=120
For anybody who wants to induce SARS organically:

chitosan via Crab meal
salicylic acid via willow bark

Don't know too much about H proteins but found this:

The protein combined with other ingredients will be sold under the name Messenger(tm) by Eden Bioscience Corp., Bothell, Wash., under license from the Cornell Research Foundation, which aids in the development of Cornell-discovered technology. Since entering into a licensing agreement in 1995, Eden has conducted over 500 field trials of the product on about 45 crops in four countries.

Curiously, the protein is derived from a plant pathogen, Erwinia amylovora, the bacterium responsible for fire blight, a scourge in Northeast fruit orchards since the 18th century. The bacterium attacks apple and pear trees and many ornamentals in the rose family, leaving blackened branches, trunks, leaves, flowers and fruit.

http://scienceblog.com/community/older/2000/B/200001636.html

I dont believe messenger HP is organic due to manufacturing methods.

Because harpin protein is commercially produced by E. coli, some strains of which can be pathogenic and produce endotoxin, testing to evaluate the potential for Messenger® use to pose associated risks was conducted. The strain of E. coli used for production of harpn protein (strain K12) is reportedly incapable of surviving long enough in the intestines of various mammals, including humans, to colonize and become pathogenic. In addition, while some endotoxin remains in the Messenger® product, the levels present when mixed with water were determined to not exceed the naturally occurring levels in tap water and creek water sampled for this study. Nevertheless, the USEPA required several studies as a condition of Messenger® registration, including studies on the survival of pathogenic microorganisms in the Messenger® product and on the presence of residual plasmids. These studies are due for submission to USEPA by April 19, 2001.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/biopest-biocont/bioprotein/harpin/messngr_reg_0401.html

I have added aloe vera and other items to the stable for thier SAR's/HAR's inducing abilities. While I have been disease free in my garden since starting my regiment with the healthiest plant I have ever grown, I haven't seen a improvement with yields. I believe the improvements came in smell and taste. (from what I can tell)

Last edited:

HellaFella420

Veteran
I hope my sarcasm wasn't too misleading...

I have used Messenger PLENTY in the past, I was happy with it.

Never did a side by side or anything, if $20 can make there life even a 'lil better, then its worth the investment

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i sprayed axiom harpin protiens on some males, within a few hours no harm was done, they looked super happy, so i sprayed some clones.... they also looked happy a few hours later....
so i sprayed the entire room w harpin proteins......

ill do it again in 3 weeks like it suggests....
see what happens

HellaFella420

Veteran
Don't expect to SEE any difference, I never did... (never had a control group tho)

I think of it more like a stamina builder, I just serves to "make their life better/easier"

GreenGuySF

Hello everyone, do you think harpin protein supplement would help plants recover from broad mite infestation? Specifically, to overcome the growth distortion caused by toxic saliva (stunted buds, brown/burnt pistils, canoe leaves, etc)

I became aware of this pest 2 wk into flowering and sprayed avid 3 days apart. So far 18 days later the recovery seems good, but not 100% of what it should properly be. I was searching anything I can use to help boost the plants immunity & vigor, like harpin & actinovate. Already I'm using asprin/salicylic acid which seems to be helping out

THANkS!! :D

ballplayer 2

Hi all, how early in a plants' life would it be prudent to begin spraying with SAR inducing substances? I am going to be using Bud Factor X, which I believe contains chitosan and salicylic acid. I am trying to boost plant immunity, I have had root aphid problems. I am planning on using Bud Factor X as part of an IPM plan along with insecticides like Met52, Botanigard, Kontos, and Riptide(pyrethrins). Is spraying or drenching SAR inducers more effective?

Thanks for the help,
BP2

Joule

My understanding is that salycilic acid is used in the production of aspirin, but is not an ingredient per se. I believe there are only small amounts of it in the actual medicine. You can, however, purchase salycilic acid, and nothing but as far as active ingredients, for plantar's warts. Full disclosure, I HAVEN'T tried this yet, but it would at least let you very specifically control the concentration of salycilic you use as the concentration is actually listed on the product.

Someone mentions that they fed with aspirin and mosaic virus abated. I don't disbelieve this at all, but I will say that I've had mosaic virus, and I've seen the same abatement happen with no unique action.

Back to Harpins - does anyone know anything about the difference b/t employ and axiom? I think someone was saying axiom claims twice the efficacy by applied volume. If that's the case, (and it's not a wall where some absent forms of protein vastly reduce efficacy no matter the applied concentration) I'm still going w/ employ. It's like 1/28th the price. 2ozEmploy/$35 vs 2GRAMSAxiom/$35!

Latest posts

Latest posts