What's new

happy 420, your CFLs are slowly killing you...

they're not just a bio-hazard when broken...

Energy saving bulbs 'release cancer-causing chemicals', say scientists
20th April 2011

Energy saving bulbs emit cancer causing chemicals it was claimed last night as new fears were raised about their safety.
Scientists said they should not be left on for long periods of time or placed close to a person's head because they release poisonous materials...

...They should not be used by adults to read or kept near a child's head all night, the experts said.

While it is already known that harmful amounts of Mercury are released if one of the new 'green' bulbs is broken, the latest research shows other carcinogenic chemicals are emitted when they are switched on.

The German research shows that the chemicals are released as a form of steam

The harmful substances include phenol - a poison injected by the Nazis to kill thousands of concentration camp victims during World War II - and the human toxins naphthalene and styrene...

...Andreas Kirchner, from the Federation of German Engineers, said: 'Electrical smog develops around these lamps. I therefore use them only very economically. They should not be used in unventilated areas and definitely not in the proximity of the head.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8...t-bulbs-contain-cancer-causing-chemicals.html
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Their report advises that the bulbs should not be left on for extended periods, particularly near someone’s head, as they emit poisonous materials when switched on...[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]...Peter Braun, who carried out the tests at the Berlin's Alab Laboratory, said: “For such carcinogenic substances it is important they are kept as far away as possible from the human environment.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]...the German scientists claimed that several carcinogenic chemicals and toxins were released when the environmentally-friendly compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) were switched on, including phenol, naphthalene and styrene.[/FONT]

Well it's a good thing our governments are banning the safer bulbs...

I

Iron_Lion

It should be noted that HPS, MH and fluorescent tubes also contain mercury.

And for that matter practically everything else most of us eat...

Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury
Wednesday, January 28, 2009; 12:00 AM

MONDAY, Jan. 26 (HealthDay News) -- Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.
HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. On average, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80 percent more HFCS than average...

...And in the second study, the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP), a non-profit watchdog group, found that nearly one in three of 55 brand-name foods contained mercury. The chemical was found most commonly in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings and condiments.
Corn byproduct fructose literally fuels cancer cell growth, study finds

Pancreatic tumor cells use fructose to divide and proliferate, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a study that challenges the common wisdom that all sugars are the same.

Tumor cells fed both glucose and fructose used the two sugars in two different ways, the team at the University of California Los Angeles found.

They said their finding, published in the journal Cancer Research, may help explain other studies that have linked fructose intake with pancreatic cancer, one of the deadliest cancer types.

"These findings show that cancer cells can readily metabolize fructose to increase proliferation," Dr. Anthony Heaney of UCLA's Jonsson Cancer Center and colleagues wrote.

R

rick shaw

So,the English media is concerned about brain damage among countrymen,now I understand the phrase 'taking coal to Newcastle'

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Totally agree with Jaymer, I guess the next question is whats a good LED or rather who makes a good one. Been thinking LED for awhile now.
:smoweed:

Rukind

switching back to the old bulbs i geuss. I have busted 2 of those cfl bulbs around me so far.

i was kind of thinking about eating meat only. it would be hard to completely cut out sugar but i could do it if i wanted too.

Ramius

Veteran
Sugar gives you cancer too, but what the hell you only live once and it's short at that. Moderation is key to all aspects of life

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
switching back to the old bulbs i geuss. I have busted 2 of those cfl bulbs around me so far.

i was kind of thinking about eating meat only. it would be hard to completely cut out sugar but i could do it if i wanted too.

Meat in large amounts will give you colon cancer.

A

auto guerilla

is this for real? do fluro lights if unbroken still cause cancer? i know everything causes cancer but is this a serious risk? i'm a led supporter and user but still use t5's on the side. if this is at all serious i would go led all the way. Hope i'm not just gullible in believing this...

sso

Veteran
well, im probably dead, cfls break real easy for me, lol.

thin glass on those funkers. (plus when using cfls, one was always using alot of them and always trying to get them in some place)

frying hamburgers suppodly gives you cancer too.
i wouldnt place too much faith in this.

science reminds me of the kid that thought he knew everything but has just gotten enough smacks to the head and fingers, that he´s beginning to slightly doubt, but still is too arrogant and full of himself to be fully listened to.

ixnay007

Veteran
Not frying hamburgers, anything burnt (carbonized) is a carcinogen. Including veggies, bread, whatever. It's not highly carcinogenic, but it is carcinogenic.

Such is life.

Broken CFLs release mercury, but it's just like other toxic substances (model glue for example) open the windows, clean it up carefully, don't use a vacuum.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

ixnay007

Veteran
Any fish high up the food chain contains mercury nowadays..

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
How many of us know some family member that's practically smoked, drank and fucked their way through their entire life and NOT developed cancer or some other deadly disease?
I'd say there's a fair chance everyone out there knows at least one.

The funny thing about cancers is that there are often precipitating factors (like CFLs), but more often there are other genetic and epigenetic issues that interrelate and are more causal vectors.

In other words, some folk are more susceptible than others. Not an endorsement to go out and chew on a CFL or lick one while it's on.....but there's tons of other things in your home environment that are not only carcinogenic, but teratogenic and mutagenic. (mostly home cleaning agents and 'chick' chemicals (ie-lipsticks, deodorants, hairspray, etc.)).

So I wouldn't be losing any sleep over a CFL in your house. Probably the only reason I'd drop them is because they've got short life spans and are fraught with production issues.....I've had more than a few burn out for seemingly no reason.

LEDs are markedly better for performing the same task.

Oh BTW, you probably shouldn't be breathing the air on this planet if you want to avoid any carcinogenic chemicals.