What's new

hanuman's cheap and easy jungle tunnel

O

OriginalyPosted

thats awesome doing it survivor style hehe . nice looking plants to some really good work there bud.

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you still can improve it in many ways , like to stake the bamboo sticks through the plastic like a sewing needle so you can move it up and down :D

but hands down one of the nicest things i have seen in weeks on icmag ....

kudos for this one

Fj

CLDBD

I guess it is kind of specific since not everyone has bamboo growing outside.

Great use of a free and available resource. Looks like it will work out nice. You have essentially made yourself a makeshift greenhouse with a convertable top. I am sure the bud gods would be pleased that more of the precious herb will be sacrificed to fire than budrot. Good form sir.

hanuman

Thanks my friends, I'm glad you like my efforts. I don't think I posted any pics taken towards the end of the grow so here's one or two:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=705163&sort=1&cat=500&page=3

http://www.icmag.com/ic/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=705161&sort=1&cat=500&page=3

http://www.icmag.com/ic/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=698159&sort=1&cat=500&page=4

Anyway, there are some improvements planned for next year. First I'm going to replace all the wire ties with new ones, taking care to turn the pointed ends toward the inside of the tunnel, as I got quite a few rips in the plastic last season. (I might even invest a huge 25 euros in a new plastic cover)

Also, I'm going to secure 2 other bamboo poles longitudinally to the ends of the tarp on each side (probably with ultra-strong waterproof tape). First it'll prevent the plastic from flying off when the wind blows hard if I find a way to secure these lateral bamboo poles on the ground or on the structure.

And second, more importantly, it'll allow me to roll the plastic cover on and off the tunnel easily. Why bother with hand watering the plants while in veg if I can get the rain to do the job ? It's only when budding starts that a full rain protection is needed. Anyway, I'll document these changes in this very thread.

Thanks again for the comments.

h :ying:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Great use of Bamboo there, hard to beat a natural product !

Howabout Hemp string to tie it all up with ?

Polytunnel people sell repair tape ... kind of tells its own story ... I am trying to design one myself and knid of know the winds here will kill anything at all flimsy.

hanuman

you've been watching too much survivorman huh

Me ? naah. Don't know where you got that idea! :smile:

picture.php

hanuman

Sorry gunnar, your link didn't lead to any picture and I must admit I'm not fluent enough in Danish to understand the text! :smile:

Anyway, I bought the plastic in a special store for farmers (Agricultural cooperative, as they call it over here) and it's specifically made for greenhouses/poly tunnels. There is a lot of strawberry farming under tunnels over here and that's what they use. So I guess it's pretty specific.

hth

N

nekoloving

Sorry gunnar, your link didn't lead to any picture and I must admit I'm not fluent enough in Danish to understand the text! :smile:

Anyway, I bought the plastic in a special store for farmers (Agricultural cooperative, as they call it over here) and it's specifically made for greenhouses/poly tunnels. There is a lot of strawberry farming under tunnels over here and that's what they use. So I guess it's pretty specific.

hth

sweet idea there +Rep

T

theJointedOne

bump

did the bambo on this GH get dried andand crack? If not that is awesome. i used babmboo stakes this year and they cracked and snapped. Is there more than one variety? fresh better?

please let me know as I am trying to get to these before winter
thanks