What's new

hanna ph meter gone crazy

mr noodles

hanna (red)hi 98127

reading when put in 7 solution skyrocket to 8.7 and way off when pit in # 4 solution

want to calibrate and after few sec i got a wrng message , i checked and it mean the pen dont recognize the solution ...wtf ?

i did every single procedure and searched for hours on the net without much explanation than probe last 2 years and mine is 3 and got always been put in storage liquid . dryed overnight once , i have to admit it...

probably the probe and will get to the hydro store tomorrow and get a new electrode

i cant calibrate the fucker...plant start to look thirsty , i hate that shit ...

S

SeaMaiden

You may have to replace the probe itself. If it dries out, stuff like that can happen. I've done it (allowed the probe to dry out), had to replace it afterward.

However, before you do that, if you have the cleaning solution you might want to try cleaning it once or twice, see if you can't calibrate it after that.

gregor_mendel

My opinion on this is usually unpopular, and perhaps my experience is unique.

pH meters marketed to hobby hydroponics users suck, and just don't last.
Professionals in water quality testing use meters with an entry level cost of about
$500 and require per use calibration. My $300 Hanna goes unused because it is unreliable, and a new probe costs about $130. For now I use a HM Digital TDS meter, and pH drops. I will eventually get the big boy toys.

hereigrow

Try the battery then the probe. Hannah also sells a storage solution to keep tour probes tip top. I think my local shop wanted 65$ for a new probe

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My opinion on this is usually unpopular, and perhaps my experience is unique.

pH meters marketed to hobby hydroponics users suck, and just don't last.
Professionals in water quality testing use meters with an entry level cost of about
$500 and require per use calibration. My $300 Hanna goes unused because it is unreliable, and a new probe costs about $130. For now I use a HM Digital TDS meter, and pH drops. I will eventually get the big boy toys.

You are probably correct. Hydroponic Research Veg+ Bloom are very stable once you get a handle on ppms v tap/RO pH

Farm Hero

I had a Hanna purple meter that wou.d mess up whenever a hydro pump would kick on....did some searching on the 'net and found this to be a common issue. Hannah knows this and has no fix.

I'd just rather use Hydrion pH test strips in the 4.5-8.0 range now, pH meters are to touchy. A cheap $15 purple ppm meter on Amazon works great however.

Wonder why all my meters are purple....

Last edited:

Greeco

This is a late response, but for anyone doing any research I thought I would add my opinion. I have had Hanna meters for 3 years now. They used to be high quality and the PH electrode would last a year or more and be accurate. However this last year their quality has declined significantly. I have a HI 9811-5 and the electrode is going bad every 3 months or so! After use I always rinse with fresh water and then put distilled water in my cap to keep it moist and still have issues. If your going to spend a little money on a meter get a BlueLab combo meter and take care of it. It will save you money in the long run when compared to hanna products.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Does the Blue Lab PH Pen meter need to be kept wet at all times as well? How about the PPM Pen? Just want to make sure I keep care of my tools once I get them. Thanks

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My first Hanna lasted several years. My new one, the probes are so Fn delicate that a slight bump breaks the glass. Was thinking to get their ~ $300 model, but after the posts here, looks like Blue Lab is in my future

medicalmj

Veteran
My first Hanna lasted several years. My new one, the probes are so Fn delicate that a slight bump breaks the glass. Was thinking to get their ~ $300 model, but after the posts here, looks like Blue Lab is in my future

Yeah, go w Blue Labs. And ask around the stores for how they handle warranties. I had an issue, (maybe my fault) and the store swapped it on the spot!

some of these meters esp. if they are smart meters, (auto temp comp. and auto cal.) some have computer chips in hem. these chips are very sensitive to electric current and if u have a pump running in your res the pump electrifies the solution and then fries the smart meters chip. this is most likley what happened to you.

medicalmj

Veteran
some of these meters esp. if they are smart meters, (auto temp comp. and auto cal.) some have computer chips in hem. these chips are very sensitive to electric current and if u have a pump running in your res the pump electrifies the solution and then fries the smart meters chip. this is most likley what happened to you.

Yikes! My blue labs is a dumb one, thankfully! Good to know. Hopefully for me I wont be in the market for one a while...

growhi

i can recommend the blue lab 'combo meter' , measures temp , ec. and ph .......................... iv actually given up calibrating it because its never out when i do a cal ................. iv had it about 4 years and only thing that's ever happened was me standing on the ph probe stoned, and needing to buy a new one lol