What's new

HALP! I fuct up my PC fan wiring v.anotheroneofthosethreads

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I read it, but I know that 120mm PC fans work on 12v. And as this fan was wired to a hdd power plug, on the 12 v wires, I'm sure of that.

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
I read it, but I know that 120mm PC fans work on 12v. And as this fan was wired to a hdd power plug, on the 12 v wires, I'm sure of that.

O-yeah i agree just double checking ya know ,a 120mm fan would
have to be 12v

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Here's what you do:

I googed the TT-1225 (saw it in the pic) - it's 12vDC/400mA (verify w/ lable on fan to be sure.)

That's a powerful fan, probably why it's sluggish. If you plan two run two of em, get a 12vDC/1000mA transformer from Radio Shack.

Cut the connector off the tip of the transformer wire. Separate the insulated strands several inches. Strip ~3/8" insulation from the tips.

On the fan, you'll only be using the black wire and the red wire. Cut the 5 pin power supply cable attachment (you won't need that.) Wrap the yellow wire and tie it out of the way. Strip ~3/8" insulation from the tips of the black and red fan wires.

Look at the transformer cable. One of the two cable strands is marked with lettering/numbering (or a raised bead) running the length of the insulation. This is the positive wire, connect it to the red fan wire.

The other transformer strand should have no marks or beads on the insulation. This is the ground wire. Attach it to the black fan wire.

Make sure to do a good job if yer using black electrical tape. This stuff shrinks and will often unwrap itself over time. Keep an occasional eye on it. Wire nuts work well but you'd need very small ones for this ap. Heat shrink tubing is best but you'll need a heat gun to shrink it.

You can wrap the wires of the second fan to the tips with the first one or you can attach the second fan anywhere along the transformer wire. It's a little harder to strip the cable farther up (away from the tip.) Pull the insulated strands apart for several inches. Stagger the strips/connections an inch or so apart for safety.

immaculate

Thanks a LOT for the help. This will come in handy for the next cab.

I blew one of the fans so I don't know what the deal is at the moment.

T

theratings

I strongly suggest getting one of the Radio Shack adapters with the various plugs for different volts and adjustable power. They're the white ones. I used one when wiring some of these a long time ago and it's powerful and adjustable for fan speed.