What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Halloween Photo Contest 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

BAD
I'm unclassified :(

The picture from cemetery is not good and without ethical behaviour.

Halloween is Halloween and ALL SAINT'S DAY is ALL SAINT'S DAY so people mix Halloween with ALL SAINT'S DAY. It is illegal with Christian faith. Think about this people. You mix up two celebrations.
All for seeds right? :]

Halloween is Halloween people...

hodowca85

out of contest ,ahhh....I am really baddy...:badday:

this is one little more photo.... for the real end...

mayby next year I win... heheheh :headbange
cheers

1.11.07 in Poland is really exciting...this IS the real DAY of dead...

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
fajah said:
BAD
I'm unclassified :(

The picture from cemetery is not good and without ethical behaviour.

Halloween is Halloween and ALL SAINT'S DAY is ALL SAINT'S DAY so people mix Halloween with ALL SAINT'S DAY. It is illegal with Christian faith. Think about this people. You mix up two celebrations.
All for seeds right? :]

Halloween is Halloween people...
In the 8th century Pope Gregory III moved the date to November 1 when he dedicated a chapel to all the saints in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. Gregory IV made the festival universal throughout the Church.

November 1 coincided with the Pagan festival of Samhain. Encyclopaedia Britannica says this date may perhaps have been chosen 'in an effort to supplant the Pagan holiday with a Christian observance', and this would have been in line with the policy, suggested by Pope Gregory I of adopting Pagan buildings like the Pantheon and festivals like Samhain to serve a Christian purpose. See http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/greg1-mellitus.txt

Over the years these festivals combined. The mass held on All Saints' Day was called Allhallowmass - the mass of the Hallows. (In the Old English language hallow means to bless, consecrate or sanctify.) The night before was known as All Hallows' Eve - which eventually became known as Hallowe'en.

All Saints' Day is said to be the day when souls walked the Earth. In early Christian tradition souls were released from purgatory on All Hallow's Eve for 48 hours.

There was a clear parallel to the Pagan belief that the spirits of the dead could affect the land of the living on this night.

It was celebrated much like Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the Eve of All Saints, All Saints Day, and All Souls Day were called Hallowmass.
Are you crazy??
Halloween is ALL HALLOWS EVE, the night before HALLOWMAS...
hallowmas is another term for ALL SAINT'S DAY...

The night before All SAINTS' DAY is ALL HALLOWS EVE...
The day after ALL SAINTS' DAY is ALL SOUL's DAY...
it's all related... Kind of like Christmas eve and Christmas...

Do you even know what 'hallow' really means?
Hallow is a word usually used as a verb, meaning "to make holy or sacred, to sanctify or consecrate, to venerate".

Is not the Eve of ALL Saint's DAY hallowed?

Look up your church history, before you make ignorant accusations...

All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day
By BBC Team
All Saints' Day
All Saints' Day

All Saints' Day (also known as All Hallows' Day or Hallowmas) is the day after All Hallows' Eve (Halloween). It is a feast day celebrated on November 1st by Anglicans and Roman Catholics.

It is an opportunity for followers to remember all saints and martyrs throughout Christian history. As part of this day of obligation, followers are required to attend church and try not to do any servile work.

Remembering saints and martyrs and dedicating a specific day to them each year has been a Christian tradition since the 4th century AD, but it wasn't until 609AD that Pope Boniface IV designated May 13th to remember all martyrs. Over 200 years later, in 837AD, Pope Gregory IV extended the festival to remember all the saints and designated November 1st as the date.

We celebrate today the solemnity of All Saints. This invites us to turn our gaze to the immense multitude of those who have already reached the blessed land, and points us on the path that will lead us to that destination.

All Souls' Day
All Souls' Day

All Souls' Day directly follows All Saints' Day and is an opportunity for Anglicans and Roman Catholics to commemorate the faithful departed. They remember and pray for the souls of people who are in Purgatory - the place (or state) in which those who have died atone for their less grave sins before being granted the vision of God in Heaven (called Beatific vision).

Reasoning behind this stems from the notion that when a soul leaves the body, it is not entirely cleansed from venial (minor) sins. However, through the power of prayer and self-denial, the faithful left on earth may be able to help these souls gain the Beatific Vision they seek, bringing the soul eternal sublime happiness.

A 7/8th century AD prayer The Office of the Dead is read out in churches on All Souls' Day. Other rituals include the offering of Requiem Mass for the dead, visiting family graves and reflecting on lost loved ones. In Mexico, on el dia de los muertos (Day of the Dead), people take picnics to their family graves and leave food out for their dead relatives.

Whilst praying for the dead is an ancient Christian tradition, it was Odilo, Abbot of Cluny (France) who, in 998AD, designated a specific day for remembering and praying for those in the process of purification. This started as a local feast in his monasteries and gradually spread throughout the Catholic Church towards the end of the 10th century AD.

For the souls in purgatory, waiting for eternal happiness and for meeting the Beloved is a source of suffering, because of the punishment due to sin which separates them from God. But there is also the certitude that once the time of purification is over, the souls will go to meet the One it desires.

The pagan holiday which you thought you were railing against is actually called samhein, and some of it's traditions were integrated into the halloween celebration... However, religion being a moot point, It simply doesn't matter. Judgmental religious assholes annoy the hell out of me, god damn it.

Last edited:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heads awaiting reply?

Heads awaiting reply?

Grat3fulh3ad said:
yeah... no worries... sometimes doobie thinks it's his place to try to 'call me' on some sort of bullshit or another... I just was in no mood to indulge it this time......
H3ad where did I try and call you? Your intention again with this post is not to resolve this issue....
Grat3fulh3ad said:
They've looked over my rules and everything is in compliance with their rules...
In reading this quote I assumed DG had some input on approving the rules and must have approved the late rule changes and vote tabulation changes after the contest ended as well?
The integrety of the contest was comprimised when the rules and the way the voting was to be done were changed after the contest ended. I know some will say "it's just a contest" but some of us worked very hard and seriously for the great prizes that were being offered and the late rule and voting changes are not justified. Ask yourself ...Why were these changes made..by who..and why so late? I can see no bennefit to the contestants nor the voters?
My first reply to the thread was only intended to point out the rule changes and how they "may" affect the contestants and thier personal creations, no mention of you, also to clarify to the voters how the changes would affect thier voting. Not to call out any individual as you would like the readers to believe. , no mention of you.
H3ad you said I was bitching, I was pissed in several posts... but that was only to insert your idea of my attitude into the context...I wasn't pissed...I was just trying to clarify my opposition with the late changes and clarify the voting procedure that was not the in the PoTM format. ...
Grat3fulh3ad said:
My contest...my rules...
H3ad you forgot DGs involment here? Maybe the quote should have been.."I reserve the right to change the voting procedure and contest rules at any time". Changing the rules and voting proceedure after a contest has ended is not as you call it "some bullshit". If I were a Moderator I would have first looked at the members profile who left this complaint..DoobieDuck..many threads with hardly a negative post, hundreds of replies and hardly a negative word, tons of feedback left for others daily and a negative would be hard to find. This member contributes daily and is in very good standings...so maybe we should get with DG and the other moderators and try and resolve his issue? Not you H3ad..you throw out words like "pissed, bitching, bullshit, call me, induldge" and sit at you desktop awaiting a reply...why? I had fun and would like to congradulate all the finalists..and winners there after... No worries..! Dr. Duck.

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
I can see doobies point here, changing the contest to an open poll did dramatically change the outcome. If you go through the whole thread, you get a totally different perception of the entries compared with the poll thread. I can see doobie put a lot of work into it as well.

But on the other hand, this was still a really cool thread and I had fun participating. It seems a shame to dwell on this and ruin the whole thread over it. I am appreciative to H3ad for opening the thread, and for his generosity in offering these fine prizes. I look forward to next years contest, and hopefully by then all the contest bugs should be worked out.

- Ez

G

:wave:
hi there!
Whats up with the halloween poll? , cant open second page... :bashhead:

Warning: parse_url(http://): Unable to parse url in /includes/functions_bbcodeparse.php on line 1504

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /data/web/icmag/icmag.com/www/ic/includes/init.php
Line: 27

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Doobie duck... Get off of it, bro... You have NO leg to stand on in this argument you're attempting to have...

There was no change in the rules other than the announcement is delayed...
You made incorrect assumptions, and mis-interpreted the rules...
I can use any friggin' method I want to to help me decide...
A poll, or a coin toss, or just an arbitrary choice... As long as the final call is made by me and rez, there is no room for you to complain, as the technicalities have been abided by...

I asked people to help decide, not to decide for us... We already eliminated 80% of the entries... Why do you have a problem with an opinion poll helping us to make the final decision?

NOWHERE in the rules is asking for the opinion of the community illegal...

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
- ezra - said:
I can see doobies point here, changing the contest to an open poll did dramatically change the outcome. If you go through the whole thread, you get a totally different perception of the entries compared with the poll thread. I can see doobie put a lot of work into it as well.

But on the other hand, this was still a really cool thread and I had fun participating. It seems a shame to dwell on this and ruin the whole thread over it. I am appreciative to H3ad for opening the thread, and for his generosity in offering these fine prizes. I look forward to next years contest, and hopefully by then all the contest bugs should be worked out.

- Ez
Yeah... no doubt... Next year the rules will clearly state that I can use any methods I want to to help me make the final decision, and any whiners will be disqualified...

G

it would seem its all in good fun from out of seed providers pocket...it also would seem it should not matter to the contestants how it is judged or who wins....happy late halloween...peace

G

I got that exact same error too. Is this happening to everyone or just some people?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I'm getting it to... I had to log off, then clear cookies, then clear cache, then go to the thread, then log in, then I finally got the second page...

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cheers, I had the same problem.. and still do.

Didn't work :(

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
In the mean time, I went into control pannel, edit options, and set post per page to 40... I can see all the posts now...

G

I just set my post per page option to 40, and now I get the error on Page 1 of the thread, lol.

G

Oddly enough, I set my posts per page to 5 and now only page 4 is a problem. So, whatever is making it go funky is in post 16, 17, 18, 19, or 20. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.