What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Half the power in apartment not working. Do I need to close down shop?

W

wegobigupnorth

Awesome! Thanks man I'm gonna sleep better tonight knowing that. Grateful to have a knowledgeable community to help out where I fall short.

His post did say it was a coincidence but then he said "he did not believe in those" which is confusing but I am pretty sure he is saying there is no such thing as a coincidence and you should look into your theory a lot further

sorry if I am way off

W

wegobigupnorth

Ozone generator would be perfect for a situation like this. Sounds like he already has it totally under control though

Scrappy-doo

Power company fixed most of the electric this morning and they are here again fixing something to do with a cable. Seems to be a bigger issue than I thought. They are doing some work down in the manholes and needed 2 different crews to fix whatever the problem is. Power has been completely off for a few hours now.

So it looks like I'll be able to at least get my girls back in tonight. I just want to find the landlord and walk him through once everything is working again so there's no surprise visits over the weekend, then I can start to build a temporary setup and finally get my girls back in later tonight after everyone's asleep. Wish I could do something more than just rig it tonight, but I have to be out of here by 2pm for work and I'll be gone till next week. Just not enough time before I leave to set it up right.

The ozone generator worked great. So did the ona. I have the ozone running daytime when people are around and then turn it off at night to let them breathe a little, and let the ona do its thing. Don't know if ozone concentrated like that is harmful to them or not, but it worked beautifully. There was a few guys working on the broken down car right next to mine and I was watching like a hawk. Fuckers pick now to start working on that thing and it's been just sitting there for months. They didn't even notice a thing and I have 8 plants halfway through flower in there and 5 more that are harvested and drying. I don't smell a thing until I open the car door.

W

wegobigupnorth

You were able to run an ozone generator in a vehicle? Off the lighter socket? Thats awesome! Good work brother.

This happened to me not to long ago. It turned out to be a bad outlet . I replaced all outlets of room that electricity when out and bam . Problem fixed new outlets are easy to replace and cost about 2 dollars . If you do go this route just be sure to turn all your breakers off. It's usually the first outlet or the last in the area that electricity went out good luck

Scrappy-doo

Well things are not looking good over here. Just came from the street and there's 5 work trucks down there, about 20 or so workers, and have just put up a generator. The landlord was on the sidewalk so I started chatting him up and he said they have to replace the ground cable or whatever is there undergrounnowe ause it went bad. There's guys marking the street and everything and I guess they gotta start digging up the road to get to everything. Doesn't look like something thats's going to be done by tomorrow morning.

Fuck a duck man I think I'm gonna have to scrap my entire grow. :(

I need to figure out a plan of action here and get started. Don't know what I'm gonna do. The closest friend I have to here that I could take my plants to is about 2 1/2 hours away and across state lines. I suppose I could try to find somewhere outside to stash them but again Im in a city so I'd probably have to drive a bit and then locate spot, and then take 2 carloads of plants there, and all gotta happen tonight. Or I can bring the plants in, build a minimal setup, lock the bedroom door, and keep my fingers crossed that they don't have to come in during the 3 days no one will be here. Or the saddest but probably most logical and safest option... cut everything down but what I can take with me, and start over. Damn that would break my heart. :(((

I think the lock on the bedroom door isn't a bad idea. I don't understand what the rationale would be for them needing to go into every room? Seal the room up tight. I think they'll flip the switch at the breaker and that will be the end of it.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Probably not a bad thought there. Though my first impulse was to start with "Be safe." :)

I can't imagine they're going to go into 5-8 rooms per apt x lots of apartments, .. ?

But ultimately I have to say, err on the side of caution, whatever the move is. Best of luck!

Scrappy-doo

Feeblebunny- I'm hoping that's how it would go down. The other thing is the landlord who seems like the type that would want to come and check to make sure everything is working. He's here right now, been here all day. It may be that once it's fixed they won't need to come in and neither will he. But I'm not sure if it's worth the risk to take that chance. I wish there was a better lock on the door. But, it would have to be picked to get in. Maybe I should just bring them in. Gotta think about this some more. It would be much easier if someone was gonna be here. I'd just call out of work but I just did that a couple weeks ago when I had to move my other garden when the building failed inspection and everyone got evicted. Lol shit man it has not been a good month for this struggling farmer.

Scrappy-doo

SH- yeah it's only 3 units technically in this building. Really theres 12 units but for some reason they're considered 4 separate buildings. So the units affected are the one I'm in, the one above, and the one below.

I'm going to chat with the landlord and the workers some more and see how long they think it will take. But I mean they will be working all night I'm sure and there's a bunch of people on this. I'm sure they will try and get it handled asap.

Scrappy-doo

You were able to run an ozone generator in a vehicle? Off the lighter socket? Thats awesome! Good work brother.

Missed this post before. No I went to walmart and picked up a portable power station, it's mainly used to jumpstart cars but I got the deluxe model which also has outlets, a work light, air compressor, and probably a few other doodads on it.

Originally I was planning to run my fan and scrubber but the power it puts out is different from a normal electrical outlet, it's single wave whatever that means, but the bottom line is that my fan speed controller didn't work with it so I'd have to run it at full power, which in a car with people around would probably attract attention. But the ozone generator works great with it. Been running for 2 days now and still plenty of power left.

JointOperation

u got 2 choices.. if it doesn't come on soon.. either put them outdoors .. or.. put the truck or whatever u have it in somewere.. and turn a light on with a generator.

or.. u could put in a greenhouse. or something..

I wouldn't scrap it until u know when its going to be back on . if its going to be back on.. go on down and have a chat with some of the workers.. and be like whats an estimate on time?

Scrappy-doo

The power co had to replace the underground cable which turned out to be a huge job. They cut up the sidewalk for the entire block, had about 10 work trucks, heavy machinery, closed down part of the street with cops directing traffic. Took 2 days of working 24/7 before they finished. I spoke with 2 supervisors about the issue and asked if they would need access to the units to check the power once finished and they said no only the basement.

So that night which was Friday night I hauled all my plants back in through the back of the building while all this was going on in the front, most of the big ones in contractor bags with top colas sticking out the tops cause they were too big, right past the open basement door which had a power line for the generator they hooked up lol. Brought it all back up and had to sit and keep watch basically till it was over.

Working on rebuilding the room which I wanted to do anyway, so it's actually pretty cool cause I get to start fresh now. Most of the larger mid-flowering girls are pretty beat up, squished and misshapen from the bags, but no casualties so far. 3 days of complete darkness so I guess I'll find out soon enough how well they recover. I'll be on the lookout for herms for the next month.

Veg plants went into boxes and for the most part look ok. Boxes are way better than bags.

The only casualty I think was one of my ballasts for the 315 cdm which got dropped and at the moment is not firing. I'm hearing a rattling in there now so I might try to open it up and see what's going on. But if my only loss is a couple bills to buy a new one I'll check this one as a victory.

Last edited:

indalo

I would find a new place for the vegging plants straight away . Just finish the ones in flower, and get the hell out of there . They will be back , cos they know there is something vegging in there . Problem with our hobby is that when the shit hits the fan , they know damn well you won't call the pigs . I know this by own experience 3 times over , ( outside grow on terrace ). Anyway , 3 days of darkness ? Have you checked the resin production ? You might find that the darkness boosted your resin production , lol . All the best, take care

Scrappy-doo

Yeah well the way things have been going it's all temporary atm. When you don't have your own space nothing is certain. Safer game to play but it's more work for less $. But not being tied to a place is a huge stress relief.

W

wegobigupnorth

Congrats on getting them back in safely...Can't imagine how sketchy and stressful that was for you. I am sure you were running on very little sleep the whole time!. Great work!

panick503

Really glad to hear it worked.out for ya. Having only ever grown legal in a medical state, I'm not sure I could handle the stress of growing in a place where it is still illegal...