What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

mushroombrew

Veteran
Proof of Knowledge? Here is my recent portfolio.

Proof of Knowledge? Here is my recent portfolio.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

My hydro is flawless bro.

Your pH is off

I could see the crispy lower leaves even in a Black and White photo bro.

I bet I could feel them in the god damn dark too!

Calibrate your meter.

Please stop acting like a know it all. It is really boring.

I came over to offer help. Not to be insulted.

All the best,

Mushroombrew.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
View Image View Image View Image View Image View Image

My hydro is flawless bro.

Your pH is off

I could see the crispy lower leaves even in a Black and White photo bro.

I bet I could feel them in the god damn dark too!

Calibrate your meter.

Please stop acting like a know it all. It is really boring.

I came over to offer help. Not to be insulted.

All the best,

Mushroombrew.

Obviously you have mad skillz

I was insulting cooterbrown, not you

Yes, in the very beginning I was not checking. Turned out my pH was > 7.5 which I mentioned early in this thread (post #120). Also each morning it's ~ 7.0 requiring daily adjusting

mushroombrew

Veteran
When plants take up Nitrate nitrogen(NO3-) they release OH- ions. These raise your pH.

It is normal for pH to go up daily. Also air stones add carbonates from CO2 which can raise pH also.

I sit around 6.0-6.2 in veg. 5.8-6.0 in flower.

The thing I was trying to emphasize is calibrate so you are sure you are at the correct pH.
My meter drifts 0.3 points per week. So I calibrate once a week before water change. Then I know for sure the new batch is good.

Once you are sure pH is on point. Then you can start raising nute strength.

The thing is that pH is more important at lower ppm's.

So pH 6.3 is ok @ 1500ppm.
6.3 @ 500ppm is not good.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
pet flora i suggest you to open your eyes and your ears
and listen the above..i didnt want to insulted either.
LEARN:)

Did you not read my reply before commenting?

This is what is wrong with posters- they don't read past the last 1-2 posts

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
When plants take up Nitrate nitrogen(NO3-) they release OH- ions. These raise your pH.

It is normal for pH to go up daily. Also air stones add carbonates from CO2 which can raise pH also.

I sit around 6.0-6.2 in veg. 5.8-6.0 in flower.

The thing I was trying to emphasize is calibrate so you are sure you are at the correct pH.
My meter drifts 0.3 points per week. So I calibrate once a week before water change. Then I know for sure the new batch is good.

Once you are sure pH is on point. Then you can start raising nute strength.

The thing is that pH is more important at lower ppm's.

So pH 6.3 is ok @ 1500ppm.
6.3 @ 500ppm is not good.

Thanks

The other problem I had (also posted this) is when I replaced the T5 with my Amare SE 220 (CoB hybrid). When under the T5s I had to keep the light super close to the canopy (I used an upside down 3 ga tote ~ 9" ) to raise the actual grow tote near to the light.

When I swapped out lights, I should have removed the upside down tote that I was using under the 3g tote. This burned the lower leafs

As to pH during veg then flower; I read the opposite, but your grows speak for themselves. Will correct now
:tiphat:

mushroombrew

Veteran
Well that's a theory. Light burn.

Here is mine. The stronger light caused rapid growth. The pH and nute concentration could not support the faster growth.

So I believe the browning if from lack of nutrition. Magnesium to be precise.

Too much light burns the top not the bottom of the plant my friend.

Did you calibrate pH yet?

calibrate calibrate calibrate. Or we are just guessing. And guess work will not grow great plants!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well that's a theory. Light burn.

Here is mine. The stronger light caused rapid growth. The pH and nute concentration could not support the faster growth.

So I believe the browning if from lack of nutrition. Magnesium to be precise.

Too much light burns the top not the bottom of the plant my friend.

Did you calibrate pH yet?

calibrate calibrate calibrate. Or we are just guessing. And guess work will not grow great plants!

Nag, nag, nag lol. I have to find the instructions to check calibration

At the time, the burnt leafs were several nodes lower, meaning they were in direct contact of the light. That + high pH = crispy leafs, but you can see none of the 2-3 nodes above are burnt

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gonna take my lumps here.

pH was 8.0 when it should have been 7.0.

Now calibrated

Rezes adjusted to 6.1

Hydro is no place for laziness

TY
:tiphat:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't believe how often I overlook the obvious.

I have a low pressure pump with venturi, replacing air stones/pump, in the F & D rez of the plant I am beginning to harvest as I type. I had to put that pump on a deep cycle timer as running it 24/7 heated the rez > 80*s, no bueno!

Fast Forward to this morning...

I was responding to a DWC thread, providing a brief description about my dwc system for seedlings/clones, and how to use flooming/venturi instead of air pump/stones and that that pump needs to be on a separate deep cycle timer to eliminate heat build up,

Two days ago I noticed that the nutes in my dwc tote upstairs were pretty warm, and as of yesterday I was siphoning them out into a bucket with blue ice paks to cool down. And I had just done it this morning, prior to responding to his thread when it hit me between the eyes-- BAM.

DOH, I neglected to power that pump through my deep cycle timer.

Correction made lol

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once a week please in future.

You will trip how good your plants look in a week

Can't thank you enough, but you approached me in a very non threatening way, offering help, if wanted. People could learn a lesson from that

hope you'll check in occasionally to see how much better this grow will be

Oh, I took 2 clones from the big girl

mushroombrew

Veteran
You are welcome! Accurate pH readings are the most improtant aspect of Hydroponics.

I can't tell you how many grows I saved by asking for calibration.

I only had to ask 7 times. Not bad. Average is 5-6 so you are only slightly stubborn lol!!

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I'm glad this is resolved - a little tense here earlier - we're all in this together & we've got enough troubles in this world against our humble little herb.

Thanks for taking this to the right place, guys...

mushroombrew

Veteran
The tops look so much better bro! If you want to speed up recovery foliar feed 1/4 strength nute solution. Best just before lights on.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The tops look so much better bro! If you want to speed up recovery foliar feed 1/4 strength nute solution. Best just before lights on.

funny, I was thinking about that, but not with a diluted full grow formula.

You think the leafs should get everything?