What's new

H3ad goes Coco

bongwater923

Feed with every watering

Wow! I am hand watering with AN and burned the shit out of my 4 week old plants with only 1/4 strength. I was feeding with every water but plants revolted! Possibly because I'm growing autoflowers? They recovered when I changed to a feed, water,water,feed patern. I contacted the AN folks who said that if I used 1/4 strength that I underfed my plants! WTF?!

peace...bongwater

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Do you know the EC or ppm of your feed? That does seem odd to burn plants with 1/4 strength nutes. We're u getting run off with each feeding?

bongwater923

Do you know the EC or ppm of your feed? That does seem odd to burn plants with 1/4 strength nutes. We're u getting run off with each feeding?

Yes! I am in 100% coco, in 3 gallon airpots. I was hand watering, using quarter strength like I said and each plant got about a ltr. of the fluid. Burned the shit out of 'em! Leaves curled under and almost died. I think my problem was more from trying to feed daily and not giving the coco time to dry out a little. Now I am following more like feed, water, water, feed. Sometimes with a day or two in between till my coco is fairly dry and plants look thirsty. They seem to be recovering nicel, but I feel like they may be stunted from the trauma. Time will tell. I do have a question about flushing...Can I flush with tap water and only adjust the PH on the last few gallons of the flush? It's such a hassle to PH 9 gallons of water for each plant! Thanks for the reply! peace...bongwater :tumbleweed:

Yes! I am in 100% coco, in 3 gallon airpots. I was hand watering, using quarter strength like I said and each plant got about a ltr. of the fluid. Burned the shit out of 'em! Leaves curled under and almost died. I think my problem was more from trying to feed daily and not giving the coco time to dry out a little. Now I am following more like feed, water, water, feed. Sometimes with a day or two in between till my coco is fairly dry and plants look thirsty. They seem to be recovering nicel, but I feel like they may be stunted from the trauma. Time will tell. I do have a question about flushing...Can I flush with tap water and only adjust the PH on the last few gallons of the flush? It's such a hassle to PH 9 gallons of water for each plant! Thanks for the reply! peace...bongwater :tumbleweed:

Hey hill country brutha :) what lights are you using, and what are you checking the ph with?

Wow! I am hand watering with AN and burned the shit out of my 4 week old plants with only 1/4 strength. I was feeding with every water but plants revolted! Possibly because I'm growing autoflowers? They recovered when I changed to a feed, water,water,feed patern. I contacted the AN folks who said that if I used 1/4 strength that I underfed my plants! WTF?!

peace...bongwater

Don't know man. This thread is for the head formula, not AN.

The first couple posts on this thread were a bit confusing. What was the bottom line for this feeding regimen using anything other than GH?

jkahndb0

The first couple posts on this thread were a bit confusing. What was the bottom line for this feeding regimen using anything other than GH?

By the end of the thread the formula had changed to 6ml GH Micro and 9ml GH Bloom with no additives.. ( that includes Epsom salt/CaMg+)

If you want to use nutes other than GH you have to figure out what amounts will get you in this range...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]N 97
P 60
K 105
Mg 41
S 27
Ca 97
[/FONT]

That's the jist of it...

justiceman

Veteran
I've learned a lot from this thread. Thanks H3ad!!! I haven't quite finished reading all of it yet but I'm about halfway through. I'm new to the hydro game. I've been growing organic for about 4 years but recently made the switch just to see whats going on and DAMN am i liking it.

I'm using up the rest of my CES sample nutrients on this lady. R/O water 1ml Protekt(PH's the solution to 5.9) 6ml Micro 9ml Bloom per gallon. I feed her the same solution EVERY TIME about 2-3 times a day depending on temperature. Nothing but 6/9. No water in between. 3 gal COCO Hempy Bucket

CES 6/9
N 121
P 72
K 113
Mg 27
Ca 100

It's a slightly different elemental ratio from the GH 6/9 but it's close enough and I'm just finishing CES off before I start using my GH bottles. The CES is performing well but I don't like the fact it has less magnesium then GH. Then they market a product called Mag Amp to increase magnesium levels. I'll just stick with GH and it's already good Mg levels thank you very much. On the Nutrient Formula thread ShroomDr states a CES ratio that matches closer to GH. It is [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5+8 = 101N 64P 101K 24Mg 84Ca 1.7Fe[/FONT]

Lookin Good?
attachment.php

attachment.php

3 weeks later. BAAAM! If you look closely you can just barely see the blue 3 gal janitor bucket.
attachment.php

Last edited:

tsunamy

i did few formulas,
i am lab testing them so i know they are genuine.
i am getting a deficiency of K in 150ppm pottasium.
also my plants are 2 light at 100 ppm of N
and my plants are doing just as well in P at 30ppm AS when i am at 65ppm.

i am getting Mg def under 30 ppm
i am growing large scale...really big scale...for many years, most in coco coir and soil.

do you have an idea for me why your plants looks perfect at such a low feeding scheme?

i did few formulas,

i am growing large scale...really big scale...for many years, most in coco coir and soil.

do you have an idea for me why your plants looks perfect at such a low feeding scheme?

Maybe your ph is wrong.
Post some pics of your mega garden and I'm sure the issue could be diagnosed.

headimonster

i did few formulas,

coco has the potential to "hold and release slowly" phos, meaning, it could be a lockout, how far along are you, i can personally say ive seen better results and greener stems lowering my phos and/or adjusting pH to 5.5, -Mg def can also be pH, rezdog mentions the 5.5 pH, and i like adjusting my rez to 5.5, first feed its 5.5, few days in; it rises to 5.8, to me that works great as it seems to cover the elements in the pH chart pretty decent, ive also noticed when i keep 5.5 pH, i get some mag def. in veg, adjust back up to 5.8 and we some of that inter yellowin....

tsunamy

i got some new lab reports...
well full respect to all of you, but my garden plays diffarently...
my reccomanded feeding scheme...
NO3- 120-140 ppm
NH4- 30 ppm
p- 30-60 ppm (same resualts)
k- 180 ppm
mg 30-40 ppm
ca 80-110 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.3

these is for the entire 12/12 cycle ec is about 1.8-2.0
my starting water is 0.4 so i am adding 1.4-1.6 to it.

if someone has a tip how i can reduce my feedings without deficiencies i will be glad.

all the best.

0.4 from the tap? idk, my tap is 0.1-0.2 and I feed to an ec of 1.4. Any less hurts the plants. No co2 or anything. Just a regular grow with a 600w.

hereigrow

hi all, I know head had mentioned in the beginning of this thread that his version of lucas was on the low side in P. I ran into some issues with P deficiency keeping plants in veg...I don't know if the formula is so good for extended veg times from my experience.

They are over 2 ft tall in party cups of coco/perlite...I ran the idea in my head that the cup of coco even with fresh nutes is not enough for a plant that size..may need just a good transplant but I have since switched to an sensi grow and cal/mag...

I took some cuts off the vegging plants and the P deficiency is killing them :( im trying to foliar feed but will prob end up tossing them....

sorry just a little venting farmers woes...anyone else experience this?

Ghostchant

Just want to throw my hat in, after reading the entire thread, I saw a few mentions of resevoirs and that they didn't need Drip Clean or a similar product.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Can I just use heads formula in a 30gal rez without needing drip clean? I'll be using blumats btw, in pure coco, so not 100% DTW.

Anyone have any opinions, and would using protekt throw anything too far out of tolerance?

Any and all opinions appreciated.

:thank you:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Just want to throw my hat in, after reading the entire thread, I saw a few mentions of resevoirs and that they didn't need Drip Clean or a similar product.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Can I just use heads formula in a 30gal rez without needing drip clean? I'll be using blumats btw, in pure coco, so not 100% DTW.

Anyone have any opinions, and would using protekt throw anything too far out of tolerance?

Any and all opinions appreciated.

:thank you:

Personally, I would use Hempy buckets with coco. Simple, foolproof, and tremendous yields. You won't need drip clean for them, and your yield will double. You could use blumats with Hempy buckets, but not necessary, really. Regular drippers work well with them. Check the Hempy bucket thread, and there is also a thread by Hempy where he uses coco instead of the traditional perlite/vermiculite that he used to use. With Hempy buckets, you also save on coco, as you can grow monster plants in a two gallon Hempy bucket, that cost $2 each @ Home Depot. Just remove the handles. You will also need a small amount of perlite, preferably chunky. I have grown one pound plants in two gallon Hempy buckets, however with a two month veg. One month veg, you can expect 6-8 ounces, strain dependent of course. I hand water them daily to run off to give them fresh oxygen.
Once you try Hempy buckets, you will never go back to any other kind of pot, and I have tried them all.
Here's the links to the Hempy bucket threads:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=98419

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=147954

I use the K.I.S.S. method for stellar results.

Latest posts

Latest posts