What's new

H3ad goes Coco

verdecielo

thank you H3ad

i really appreciate your help but that post is about a GHE flora with different % than mine, this was your answer helping to gramsci.antonio

his Micro(hard): 4-0-2
Bloom: 0-6-4

i am not using hard water micro

i attach my labels

using the cannastats calculator i get what i think is too high Ca and S

6/9ml x gallon
N 97
P 60
K 112
Mg 82
S 137
Ca 136

so my question is more specific as to do you think S 137 Ca 136 are too high or i will be ok ??

and the problem is if i lower the ml per gallon of both micro and bloom i will loose the right amounts of the macro nutrients

any thought???

thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6909.jpg
    IMG_6909.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7956.jpg
    IMG_7956.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 25

Avenger

Veteran
CaO=7% Calcium oxide is 71% calcium, so 5% Ca.

SO3=5% Sulfite is 40% sulfur, so 2% S

MgO=3% Magnesium Oxide is 60% magnesium, so 1.8% Mg

You have to enter the bold data into the calculator instead of the CaO, SO3 and MgO data.

verdecielo

CaO=7% Calcium oxide is 71% calcium, so 5% Ca.

SO3=5% Sulfite is 40% sulfur, so 2% S

MgO=3% Magnesium Oxide is 60% magnesium, so 1.8% Mg

You have to enter the bold data into the calculator instead of the CaO, SO3 and MgO data.

thanks my friend now it all makes sense with the numbers that is peace of mind

H3ad thanks
and hope to get some of your trainwreck and sure casey jones as soon as listed

peace

Hey H3ad (and anyone else with advice)

I've been growing for a few years now. I'm on my 3rd grow with hand watered coco and I'm loving it. I've been following H3ad and Rez's threads and have seen great results.

I'm having trouble with fungus gnat larvae gnawing at the roots so I'm trying to let it dry out a little in addition to mosquito dunks.

I have 6 plants, each in 1 gallon pots. I vegged them for 6 weeks (was shooting for 4 weeks, but my scheduling was off) they are currently at day 30 of bloom. I would say on average I water every other day. I've hit all the target days according to the REZipe (KB Slams and Nitrogen cuts). They are looking great so far. I don't think there are any adverse effects to watering less as long as they look good...i was just wondering if you had any experience, good or bad, with less watering. Do you think there will be any ill-returns on the yield?

thanks!
CnD.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I've had good luck killing gnats with azamax applied to the coco.
My yields are always higher when the containers never dry out.

drewb149

Hey guys i read through this entire post and it has been a huge help.:thank you:

in the next few weeks i hope to have my legal 4k grow underway. coco in airpots. hand watered dtw.

the huge thing is, i wanted an easy and reliable nute mix. i like the 6/9 but mixing up 30 gallon batches every other or every day will get expensive.

i think ive found what might be a good solution. the GH maxibloom at 4 grams per gallon gives me

n 53
p 69
k 123
mg 37
s 42
ca 53

now i recognize nitrogen and calcium are low and potassium is a little high but when i ad 2 ml per gal of the ces micro it adds only 40 ppm N and 34 ppm Ca. it also brings iron right into line and the use good chelates for the Fe.

this mix leaves me with

n 93
p 69
k 123
mg 37
s 42
ca 97
fe 1.67

my question is are these numbers close enough? are the mg a s to low. and if so would epsom or sweet be a good option.

if they are i believe this would be a cheaper option than using the liquid bloom and because you are using a fraction of the micro itll go a long way. i know alot of people use the powder maxibloom as a one part in hydro but its not quite suited to coco but i think this may be a good solution.

pheew rant over hope this makes sense and helps.:smoke:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
2 gal micro + 3 gal bloom = $150 = 7570 ml micro + 11356 ml bloom = 1260 gallons of nute = 30 gallons every day or every other day (60 gal every 3 days) for almost 65 days.

If you're running so many plants you need to feed 20 gallons of nute/day, and you cannot afford $200/flowering cycle on nutrient, then you are doing something bad bad wrong.

Also how in the world is a legal 4k garden going to use up 20 gallons a day?
I generally use 5 or 6 gal/day per 3k flower room, and 1 or 2 gallons/day per 400w veg room. I could flower 8k with enough veg to support perpetual and not use 20 gal/day.

drewb149

If you're running so many plants you need to feed 20 gallons of nute/day, and you cannot afford $200/flowering cycle on nutrient, then you are doing something bad bad wrong.

Also how in the world is a legal 4k garden going to use up 20 gallons a day?
I generally use 5 or 6 gal/day per 3k flower room, and 1 or 2 gallons/day per 400w veg room. I could flower 8k with enough veg to support perpetual and not use 20 gal/day.

ok well 4k with 24 plants is 6 per light. in 2.4 or 3.4 gallon pots i can see fully flowering plants needing about a gallon a day drain to waste. they wont be small plants when they get going.

and also 16 lb of maxibloom is 100 bucks. thats 1792 gallons and a gallon of ces micro is 40 bucks maybe and at 2mls thats 1920 gallons so for the same amount of money you get 500 more gallons of feed which is a 30 percent gain which relates to savings.

and btw i can afford to buy all the nurtients and supplies i need but since this will be a legal garden supplying patients im trying to reduce overhead so they can get it cheap. thanks for the input.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
my 6 ounce plants do not use a gallon a day, except for about 2 weeks during flowering.

4k room grows 8lbs.
8lbs, even in a bad market is worth 20k.

$200 for nutes is 1% margin
30% cheaper nutes saves you $60...

a 1% less than optimum grow costs you $200...

I'm just of the opinion that you'd gain many times more more than you'd spend.

Your milage may vary.

drewb149

and i agree with what you say.

but supplying cheap meds is costly. the nutes are'nt all i mean the grow room is gunna run me bout 4k just for gear and supplies. the electric bill here for that is about 340 a month and considering i bought a house for this thats another 20k or more once i get it in a decent livable condition. so money saving is important to me.

either way my question is in your experienced opinion does that nute profile look acceptable?

thanks again.

oh and if i got 2 lbs a light first time out id shit myself

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
what I like to shoot for in coco is 100-75-150-60 n p k mg.
then, I want my Ca to fall roughly midway between my mg and k, and my s to come in just below mg.

If you add some epsoms you should be in decent shape.

Super.Seeds

ICMag Donor
Head, thanks for all of the information you have provided for the community!

I have been doing Ebb and Flow with PBP and coco flooding once a day for just 4 minutes (just enough time to fill the tray) and it has been doing great but it's time to jump on the bandwagon here! :)

Currently:
-Tap water is 100 PPM.
-Perfect pots (2 gal) with a 1/4" coco mat in the bottom to stop coco from going into my e&f trays with canna coco as a medium. I use PBP, Karma, Sweet, Hygrozyme, Big Bud, and Overdrive.
-I change my res every 7 days and usually don't top off.

My plans:
-To start topping off mid week.
-GH Micro/Bloom+Cal Mag if needed+ Kool Bloom powder (or Big bud and overdrive)
-2 Gallon Smart pots (or other as suggested...maybe keeping it the way it is idk)..I just dont feel that the 4 holes in the bottom of the perfect pot give enough, or the best possible, water flow. And it seemed kinda dumb and annoying always having to cut coco mat to put in the base of the pot.
-Canna coco and possibly roots organics coco chips mixed in...idk.

I have been doing this for a few years and have reached a GPW but not normally (don't do big yielders). I have used GH Nova, AN full line (LOL), Botanicare, and a few others with success but I'm trying to settle down here.

Questions for head:
-Why don't you use Canna coco? I thought its the best coco coir available.
-I have heard adding cal mag is better than adding epsoms salt because you are increasing salt count which is more apt to cause salt buildup/lockouts...is this true or bullshit?
-And of course my nest question is why not canna nutes? They are meant for Coco! My local stores is pushing them hard on me and I'm assuming its just because they are a lot more $$$ than GH. My fear is to upgrade to the canna line (which is meant for top drip feed and not recirc like I do)...and havign PH swings and other issues and it being a nightmare. I just want stability and if basic GH Micro/Bloom is it then I'm game!! :dance013:

My biggest question is for an E&F table using coco:
-H&G's Line w/ Aqua flakes VS Canna's line with Cocos A+B VS GH's line with Flora micro/bloom + Dry Koolbloom (or big bud and overdrive)? Too many choices. :confused:

Sorry for the ramble but I am having a tough time going from something that's already working to something new (but probably better). I don't wanna spend 500+ on nutes and be on here again looking for a new nute in a few months. I just KNOW I can be doing better and focusing on other things. Thanks to head and anyone else who replies!

SS

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Questions for head:
-Why don't you use Canna coco? I thought its the best coco coir available, and GH was already familiar to me.
Local availability. Of the locally available brands, I have had great luck with botanicare and genhy.
-I have heard adding cal mag is better than adding epsoms salt because you are increasing salt count which is more apt to cause salt buildup/lockouts...is this true or bullshit?
it is bullshit. read the information on inorganic salts linked to in my sig.

Cal-mag is made of Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Nitrate which are both salts.
Epsom salt is Magnesium Sulfate.

With Epsom salt you are supplementing Mg and S

With Cal-mag you are supplementing N Ca and Mg

which one would be most beneficial depends on what your nutrient solution is already comprised of.
-And of course my nest question is why not canna nutes? They are meant for Coco! My local stores is pushing them hard on me and I'm assuming its just because they are a lot more $$$ than GH. My fear is to upgrade to the canna line (which is meant for top drip feed and not recirc like I do)...and havign PH swings and other issues and it being a nightmare. I just want stability and if basic GH Micro/Bloom is it then I'm game!! :dance013:
I adapted my GH formula to coco because canna was not locally available. It is now, and I am planning a side by side whenever my hippy ass gets around to it.... I use very similar ratios to canna. Truecannabliss is very familiar with canna coco nutrients, and would be a good source of advice concerning their line.
My biggest question is for an E&F table using coco:
-H&G's Line w/ Aqua flakes VS Canna's line with Cocos A+B VS GH's line with Flora micro/bloom + Dry Koolbloom (or big bud and overdrive)? Too many choices. :confused:

Sorry for the ramble but I am having a tough time going from something that's already working to something new (but probably better). I don't wanna spend 500+ on nutes and be on here again looking for a new nute in a few months. I just KNOW I can be doing better and focusing on other things. Thanks to head and anyone else who replies!

SS

There are many choices, but fortunately as long as you are providing all of the essential nutrients in ratios which do not cause lockouts and at a pH that does not cause lockout, and as long as you provide them in a dilute enough solution, your garden will respond with vigor and reward you handsomely.

Super.Seeds

ICMag Donor
Talk about a quick response!! :thank you:

So your formula works better with the Mg and S that are added from the epsoms salts instead of the N, Ca, and Mg provided in the cal mag? I didn't even know S was an important element so I have a lot to learn.

What pots would you use for Coco E&F? I currently use plastic square Perfect pots (2 gal) and I have to cut a 1/4" coco mat for the base of the pot so no coco gets into the trays...Kinda a PITA and I figure there has got to be a better way. I've been looking into Smart pots (are they durable?), Aurora root pots (which i think biodegrade), CAP Gro pots, Farmtek Aero Soft Containers,...All which are soft sided (doesn't excited me one bit), air prune roots (supposedly great), and won't let the coco go into the trays (super great). So I'm confused on a few things, but you are really helping me out! Thanks again!

SS

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I'm actually doing something new... it is a sort of home made wick system, and i'm having impressive results so far... For E&F I would be tempted to make my own containers from landscape fabric.

E

emerald city

Im up to page 56 now :laughing:must read all before i dare comment.Starting to make me wonder why i got a pallet of pro-mix.

Latest posts

Latest posts