What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

H3ad goes Coco

Absolem

Hey.

yo growers,

I'm running my first coco grow, and unfortunately run into some problems. Some of my plants shows some kind of deficiency.

here are the details

-12/12 from rooted clone
-5,5l pot
-coco dtw, 30% perlite, hidroton mulch
-tap water (0,5EC, 108mg/l CaO)
-watering every day with 20-40% runoff, 2days feed, 1 plain water)
-Heads modified coco formula (6ml/9ml/gal micro bloom) PH'ed with phosphoric acid)
-pH 5,9
-EC 1,4. (raised from 1.1 few days ago)
-runoff pH: 6,8-7 EC: 0,8-0,9

Really need your help, I dont know what the fuck is going on with the plants.

The issue you are having is adding your high Ca tap water to your 6/9. If you are going to use your tap water you need to use "General Hydroponics Flora Micro for Hardwater". This contains no Ca. You are doubling the Ca that H3ad recommends. He used the 6/9 with little to no Ca from his tap. All his Ca comes from the "GH Micro". He doesn't alternate his feedings with nutes then non nutes either. This defeats the whole purpose of using coco. H3ad also used pure coco. Read his thread. Then read it again.

Focus on these post from him.
Post#1 On his reasoning for running the 6/9
Post #211 On his water quality.
Post # 256 on using RO
Post# 259 On his low tap water which contains little Ca.

Last edited:

SirNuggetReborn

Has anyone done a hand-watered coco grow with just general hydro maxigrow and maxibloom and no other salts/amendments? If so, what coco brand?

What about mixing FFOF with coco 50/50? Anyone tried this?

RustyRoo

Has anyone done a hand-watered coco grow with just general hydro maxigrow and maxibloom and no other salts/amendments? If so, what coco brand?

That's what I'm doing now. Straight coco (Worm Factory brand), well water (200ppm), no ph down or up needed, 250w HPS.

1/2 teaspoon per gallon is plenty for veg/bloom as I'm only using a 250w light for flowering.

Currently in 5th week of flower, one gallon smart pot watered twice a day. Seedsman BlueBerry.

Lizardthebird

Morning gents. Based on this thread and some others i decided to do my first grow with coco. I like what I'm seeing considering most of my bombed attempts at this art. In my current grow i seem to be having an issue with cal Def. My ph seems to be fine right now all i have is test drops so i could be wrong as these drops aren't accurate. Temps and humidity are reasonable. Temp is 24c to 27c. Humidity between 40 and 50. Not great humidity but reasonable. Using 40w screw in led to shine on them. My nutes are green planet 3 part. I'm only using micro and bloom based on h3ads formula. When i punched in the numbers in the calculator i remember k being a bit higher then the gh nutes. When i get home i will get some exact numbers. I've also only been Feeding with 1/4 strength. My plants are young. And developing slowly. Is the deficiency from low strength nutes, or is the k locking out the available cal? Also on a previous test i ran into mag Def. This leads me to belive the higher k in my mix is causing the lock out. Any thoughts or suggestions on how i can achieve a well rounded nute profile would be great. Thanks.

Miraculous Meds

1/4 strength is too low. Clones can handle 1.2 ec from the start. Get ur npk right with the calculator. If u cant, change nutes to something that allows u to get in the correct ratio. Get ur nute strength up and ur cec will fill properly, n u might solve the def. Without a nute change.

Lizardthebird

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and did this before reading your post. Woody stems gone explosive growth. And moral high. I was getting so discouraged. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Skuzz

I also run a diluted version of the 6/9 after finding my plants were N tox at the usual ratio of 6/9per gal using my tap water with a ppm of 200?
I changed it up by going with' 50/50 distilled & tap water x2 gallon ' giving me a ppm of 115 , I then add...
1 gram epsom salt- per-2gal
2ml pk boost-per-2gal
6ml micra (hard)-per-2gal
9ml bloom-per-2gal
TOTAL ppm 500@.5
Ph always between 5.7/6.3

My plants have never been better and I actually think I might pull my biggest yield from a single plant to date?

Hi m8, what's the PK booster you're using? I moved to micro/bloom because Canna A/B was giving me dark green leaves, stunted flowering, but I seem to be getting similar with h3ad's.

Tap water PPM is 140, I add Canna CalMag to 200/210ppm, then h3ads 6/9 micro(HW)/bloom takes me to exactly 700ppm@.5 total, so 500ppm of m/b nutes.

If I use any less I don't get good 'xmas tree' type side branching, side branches dwindle.

pH around 5.9 - 6.2, temp 20-22c

Does your 500ppm include your tap water 100ppm yeah?

Thanks!
O.C. (Only Cannabis! :) )

Skuzz

Hi m8, what's the PK booster you're using? I moved to micro/bloom because Canna A/B was giving me dark green leaves, stunted flowering, but I seem to be getting similar with h3ad's.

Tap water PPM is 140, I add Canna CalMag to 200/210ppm, then h3ads 6/9 micro(HW)/bloom takes me to exactly 700ppm@.5 total, so 500ppm of m/b nutes.

If I use any less I don't get good 'xmas tree' type side branching, side branches dwindle.

pH around 5.9 - 6.2, temp 20-22c

Does your 500ppm include your tap water 100ppm yeah?

Thanks!
O.C. (Only Cannabis! :) )

FWIW, 15ml of micro(HW) in 10l of water (5.7ml per gallon) comes out at 230ppm (@.5 scale) exactly, and 22.5ml of bloom (8.5ml per gallon) adds 270ppm exactly, according to my HM digital EC meter.

I'm curious, you're only adding 385ppm of m/b. 6/9 in 2 gallons (same as 3/4.5 per gallon) would be half the ppm's I'm getting, so 250ppm. So how much is the PK boost adding, and the epsom salts I wonder? Can't be more than 135ppm.

Do you have any pics of your plants I could see? I'm interested in the side branching.

TIA!

GastroGrower

Been using heads mix in coco Dtw for years now.. easy to mix and excellent results.

I think the ease of it is the biggest value for me. I have to travel quite a bit and have to rely on my roommate to top of my res from time to time. All she needs to measure out and mix is the bloom, micro and pH up. Quick and simple.

Kushcrusader

Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker and I usually can figure things out on my own. Buuut I need help eith this if someone doesn't mind.
So I can't figure out how the individual ppms are found for each product? For instance , I would like to add armor SI (silicon suppliment) to this 6/9 method but I can't figure out how to figure out the numbers in order to be able to adjust the ratios of micro and bloom for the SI to not throw the ratios out of wack.
Could someone point me in the right direction to be able to calculate this? I've been searching for a while all over the internet and can't find a satisfactory answer. The armor si bottle says it's 0-0-4 . Thanks ahead of time!

Kushcrusader

Also I have hard well water. About 200ppm if that would factor in as well. (600w hps in a 4.5'x4.5'.tent if that makes any difference)Oh and I really only want to add a light dose of Silicon. Because it makes you have to add an enormous amount of ph down if you use too much. So let's say I want a ml per gallon.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Dont worry so much about ratios. Add 1ml of si a gallon and continue to add the same amount of micro bloom as you normally would. It will be fine. Plants needs are always changing and we are always ballparking.
I ran the head formula for years and then it was explained to me that the Nitrogen in the Micro is less available than the nitrogen in the grow. I no longer use GH products due to their being bought by a partner of Monsanto, but i switched before that even happened and ive never looked back. The 6/9 is easy and grows fine plants, but better formulas exist

Raw710

Hey h3ad i am very new to posting but am not new to icmag I was wondering if you have anytime you could PM me not sure why I am not able to pm you. I have a quick question about your formula.

Raw710

Alright sorry I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers I have read thru the form and 6/9 is probably the best because of the simplicity. There have been a couple of posts about the 6/12 that were not really touched on. It seems that everything would fall in your range of 100-100-200-60 mg with no other additives. Or do you need to keep the ratio at .67? If the answer is simple and right in front of my eyes I do apologize.

Miraculous Meds

Alright sorry I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers I have read thru the form and 6/9 is probably the best because of the simplicity. There have been a couple of posts about the 6/12 that were not really touched on. It seems that everything would fall in your range of 100-100-200-60 mg with no other additives. Or do you need to keep the ratio at .67? If the answer is simple and right in front of my eyes I do apologize.

Keep it at 6/9. If you want a slight pk boost, then go up to 12ml mid flower for a week. Then if you want, back off the micro. I usually use a bulk res to feed multiple rooms perpetually, so I keep the same ratio all the way thru till I leach with water the last 5 to 10 days.

RustyRoo

Regular Micro or Hard Water Formula?

Regular Micro or Hard Water Formula?

I'm going to try H3ad's formula but am unsure of which micro to use. Can someone take a look at my well water report and help me decide which Micro to use?

I do have a water distiller but it would be nice not to have to rely on it and just use my tap water.

Raw710

Keep it at 6/9. If you want a slight pk boost, then go up to 12ml mid flower for a week. Then if you want, back off the micro. I usually use a bulk res to feed multiple rooms perpetually, so I keep the same ratio all the way thru till I leach with water the last 5 to 10 days.

Thank you with the quick response i will just leave it alone and not fix something that isn't broken

Latest posts

Latest posts