What's new

H3ad 6/9 cal/mag problems

REZDOG

Veteran
No,I do NOT think a 6" plant should be fed (jammed up) at 1000ppm,but I've never had issues with 18" plants fed in this manner. Until a plant is 14"-18"-ish,and it has mad root system,I'll dilute My Recipe to my taste,depending on the variety,until I see it's time to bump it up.... 400-600ppm for small plants is kee-reckt,hell,tiny ones get straight (balanced,5.5) water in the beginning,before nutes are even a thought,and they rock with it.

L

lysol

Hey guys when I used RO water 6ml and 9ml it puts me at 450ppm and 5.6PH, I added no PH down. With this amount of nutes and tap water it puts me at over 8PH and 550ppm, adding my PH down further put me at 700ppm.

So now I will deliver the same nutes but with ~300ppm less unknown salts. I think this may solve my problem. More nutrition less bullshit. I bet I'll have some happy plants now.

Thank you all for your responses. I will try to follow up w/ more pics.

L

lysol

No,I do NOT think a 6" plant should be fed (jammed up) at 1000ppm,but I've never had issues with 18" plants fed in this manner. Until a plant is 14"-18"-ish,and it has mad root system,I'll dilute My Recipe to my taste,depending on the variety,until I see it's time to bump it up.... 400-600ppm for small plants is kee-reckt,hell,tiny ones get straight (balanced,5.5) water in the beginning,before nutes are even a thought,and they rock with it.
Ok so I hit the big one with 800ppm.

When I did that I noticed in my runoff (which I dumped into the toilet) there were 1,000 tiny little black dots jumping around. What kind of pest is this? It was too small for me to identify and I'm not reaching into my toilet lol.

Certainly a root pest would not help the issue either. Either that or I just need to clean my toilet.

Disregard last part looks like its my toilet that is infected not the plant.. so embarrassed. guess when you dont have girls over you let hygiene slip.
:cry::dunno:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
A gram per 2 gal if I remember. Ph has been in range of 5.7-6.1 drain to waste. ppms 400ppm

I switched back to 1:2 last night. Reading the GH labels I have 5% CA and 1.5% MG, the h3ed ratio puts me at like even less than 1% Mg. According to what I have read too much Ca locks out Mg (and my water is medium hard to start).

The only purpose of the 6:9 ratio was to compensate for an N deficiency he got right? (which I am not getting in the first place)

the purpose of the 6/9 is to taylor the ratios to compensate for coco's cation exchange properties. 1:2 is perfect in rock wool or pro-mix...

The best way to manage cal / mag in coco is by adjusting pH...
KNNA said:
ph below 5.8 achieves higher Ca uptake and lower Mg uptake, thus you reduce the Ca stored in the coco and increases Mg. By using ph over 5.8, you achieve the inverse. Keeping the amounts of Ca and Mg balanced in the coco is the key to heving the best yields and avoiding problems.

Adding Cal/Mag just messes up the ratios...

If your water has a lot of Ca already, you may want to use half hard water micro and half regular micro... then you can balance the ratios without sacrificing N.

What I would recommend is fluctuating your pH from 5.6 to 5.9... In my experience 6.0-6.2 is best for pro-mix, 5.5-5.6 for is best in rockwool (grodan recomends 5.5) and 5.6 to 5.9 in Coco.

L

lysol

Attachments

• 100_1622.jpg
    100_1622.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1623.jpg
    100_1623.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 10

Vegan

the purpose of the 6/9 is to taylor the ratios to compensate for coco's cation exchange properties. 1:2 is perfect in rock wool or pro-mix...

The best way to manage cal / mag in coco is by adjusting pH...

Adding Cal/Mag just messes up the ratios...

If your water has a lot of Ca already, you may want to use half hard water micro and half regular micro... then you can balance the ratios without sacrificing N.

What I would recommend is fluctuating your pH from 5.6 to 5.9... In my experience 6.0-6.2 is best for pro-mix, 5.5-5.6 for is best in rockwool (grodan recomends 5.5) and 5.6 to 5.9 in Coco.

pay attention newbs thats some sound advice ...:ying:

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran

What coco brand and fert brand u using Rez? is it still the GH regime?..
I used to run the high PPM... for years... over the last couple I have actually drop down even below what canna would call "light"... however that doesn't give the best results for every strain... and... a lot seems to matter on how they get "jacked" during say those first 3 wks of 12/12 and what they looked like before they were put in// spindly vs. short/stocky compact... espedially in coco..

That being said... Rez's gallery speaks for itself... And his answers reflect what he did to get those results..

Thanks in advance..

P.S.. on a cal/ mag addition or epsom salt... what would be a LIGHT dose per gallon and what product if not epsom.. I'm looking for a small addition for certain strains at around the 4th-5th week of bud is when I'm seeing the slight def... so was thinking about adding something like on the 3rd week...

Peace

L

lysol

Here was the result of pouring 800ppm nutes thru my medium.:fsu:That is the claw right? Just to make sure I'm not reading this wrong.

I lowered to 500ppm (6/9 + "1 gram" epsom salts, starting from 0ppm), we'll leave it at these levels.

Attachments

• 100_1625.jpg
    100_1625.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_1627.jpg
    100_1627.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_1626.jpg
    100_1626.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 17
G

Guywithoutajeep

Is it possible to get a more clear close up of the newer growth without the hps light?? I would like to see whats going on in between the veins of your newer leaves. Although your lower growth looks clawed the newer growth isnt that bad, but I can't really tell from the picture quality and lighting.

Also, people, how many times do we all need to say 'dont to use Cal/Mag when using tap?' It's been said ten thousand times, so throw that crap in the fucking garbage. It might not even be necessary with RO if your using certain coco nutes.

@Lysol: I think your on the right track buddy. Stay at those ppms and see what your plant does. Honestly though, your plant should be able to handle 800 ppms.

@bergerbuddy: A lot of people are using 1 teaspoon per 10 liters. So thats like a little over half a teaspoon per gallon. From what I've heard though, too much magnesium in the later stages of flowering can make your flower taste awful. If I were you I wouldn't add any more mag at the point your at.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
I'll answer this.
In coco coir,use pH 5.5 nutrient solution,PERIOD.
NOT 6.0 pH,it's half a point WAY too high and nutes lock out.
In rockwool,use pH 6.0 and test your runoff regularly.
Keep your PPMs at 1000-1100,unless you really (really!) know your shit.
Cal-mag,is completely a waste of money,it's un-needed.... So fuck that noise.

The Answer Is....you guys are running your PPMs WAY too high-I'd bet a bunch of you are running,if checked,+1400 PPM,and if that's so,pH is irrelevant....you're fucked,burned,& locked-out.
The Bottom Line: Stick a $200USD digital Hanna Gro-Check in your reservoir....
That will solve your issues-trust me,I know.
I've NEVER had issues,personally....ever.
Listen to what I'm saying,and you won't,either-I've been using The Recipe since I started with the "Lucas Formula" baseline and re-designed it,many years ago....starting in Pro-Mix,and ending in coco-and it's never given me anything but top-shelf bud.

Cheers!

I have to disagree with 5.5 I have done everything posted on this site everything you have mentioned and everyone else.

When lowering my ph below 5.8 i had cal mag issues, raised the PH to 6.0 and probelms went away.

Also , i usually never exceed an EC of 1.0

CannabisTHC

Here was the result of pouring 800ppm nutes thru my medium.:fsu:That is the claw right? Just to make sure I'm not reading this wrong.

I lowered to 500ppm (6/9 + "1 gram" epsom salts, starting from 0ppm), we'll leave it at these levels.

Wait a second so you went from 400ppm to 800ppm? Why would you do that?

Your plants have been conditioned to respond to low nutrients, although it appears that other elements are too low. If you raise it too fast you could burn your plants and you'll see the tips turn brown. The idea is to slowly raise the PPM's over time, you shouldn't bump up PPM's that much. Bump it up 50 ppm or so every watering.

REZDOG

Veteran
at 5.5 pH ALL nutrients are the most available to cannabis.... Google the charts or go2 Canna's site.... I stand by what I say.... and at 5.5 my shit is Perfect.

L

lysol

Is it possible to get a more clear close up of the newer growth without the hps light?? I would like to see whats going on in between the veins of your newer leaves. Although your lower growth looks clawed the newer growth isnt that bad, but I can't really tell from the picture quality and lighting.
Oh it definitely is clawing the upper growth. I mean the very growth tips themselves are straight tho because I've already corrected the problem, but the clawed leaves are probably here to stay now haha. I will get pics.

I just finished all of the 64 pages (so far) of the h3ad thread. I feel like I understand more now.

Also when I transplanted the small one all the roots were concentrated at the very bottom. It was almost like it was "over watered" but after reading h3ad's thread he has me convinced I under watered. Despite the fact I water at least daily most of my medium was dry and un-utilized by the roots. So I am definitely going to make adjustments to watering strategy. Lower ppms but more often, like h3ad advises.

I also saw he was specific on how to use PH to balance cal/mag. As opposed to just keeping the PH at steady 5.5 he suggests (or implies) that above 5.8 increase Mg. Below that increases Ca. He asserts that its a fine balance that he attributes to his success.

Kind of just restating this all here so I can refer back to it later, since the thread is 64 pages.

Also rezdog has asserted multiple times that he keeps PH at 5.5, but I would invite him to elaborate on how his methods differ?