What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guyanese Sensi

G

Anyone else here ever had the pleasure of smoking that crazy Guyanese jungle sensi?

Any info on the likely origins?

Indian?

African?

Both?

G

it would seem likely that the "drug cannabis" grown in the Guyanas could be attributed to these two communities:

The Maroon peoples
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_(slavery)

a better link
http://www.folklife.si.edu/resources/maroon/educational_guide/table_of_contents.htm

and "Coolies"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolie

the fellas I smoked the best herb with were wandering Rastas in the heavily forested jungle areas of Guyana - they also had a lot of rough diamonds (mostly impure) with them, as these can be found on the surface of the ground in Guyana

I'm also curious to go back to Suriname - anyone with any experience there?

Last edited:

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Wow, you're pretty well-travelled Namkha! I believe it most likely came with the Coolies. This is apparently how it got to Jamaica, too.

Here's some pure Andhra Pradeshi sativa I grew out last year. Some of the plants took almost 14 months to finish!

Last edited:
G

heya - the Andhra Pradesh plants look lovely - what was the smoke like?
Is there a story that goes with it - like perhaps the seeds were gifted you by an enlightened sadhu, and/or appeared on a beam of rainbow light?

did you follow the links on the Maroons?

reason I ask is that I was wondering what you think of the possibilty that African cannabis strains would have been cultivated in the Guyanas first, whatever that might actually imply nowadays (likely not much)

the Maroon cultures are truly fascinating, and seem pretty overlooked, which I guess is both a good and a bad thing

any other obscure landraces you have around?

cheers,

Namkha

re. being well-travelled - yeh, annoyingly so, I have been told lol
feck it - no car, no home, no dependents, and above all, no sense - the best way to be if you ask me

like Afropips said, cue J.J. Cale:

travelin' light...

Last edited:

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
hehe...a free man. you sound like me. I did skim through the article about the Maroons. From what I've heard, though, no African landraces were brought over; merely Indian ones and English hemp seed. I guess it is possible that some African landrace seeds were brought over, but I doubt it. If you've ever been locked up, you know they don't let you take much with you...

The Andhra Pradeshi seeds came from bud I picked up in India. Here's a link to the story of how I came across these seeds.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=35234&page=2&pp=15

I also have some pure Cambodian sativa seeds.

G

IM GUYANESE and when i went there as a kid my dad and his mates were smoking some shit that made me wanna start bunning

ngakpa

Veteran
I don't know what bunning is but yeh - the herb I had there in the early '90s fucked me right up.... spent the late '90s thinking I must have devloped some wierd longterm tolerance to ganja cause none of the skunk/kush/northern lights etc. etc. we were getting at home seemed to do that to me... until I smoked some proper Thai grass and realised nah... it's just I've been smoking shit grass for years... get your dad's mates to post you some seeds definitely

High,

I live in french guiana and the often smoke some good weed from Guyana, there is a strain we call Jammin' which is a good high grade sativa and there is also some jammin/skunk cross sometime ,which is very stinky, heart racing weed.

Guyana have a lot of guyanese ppl in Jamaica, border with venezuela, brasil, colombia not so far, so it's hard to say the origins of the strains growing there.

ngakpa

Veteran
nice to hear there is still plenty of good herb about

how is French Guiana these days? I saw some great jazz in Cayenne when I was there

Latest posts

Latest posts