What's new

Guess what? The Paraguayan Soul Search

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
I don't know what strain it is, as an exercise to understand more about the plant (beyond growing conditions) I'm trying to fit it in some growing pattern. Its virtually impossible to know exactly what strain is, but may be possible to define its group, as a Kush, Skunk, Haze, whatever family it could belong.

Vega: 7 weeks under 150W 6500K home leds
Flora: Week 4 Day 33 - 100W Vivosun VS1000E QB (8' from canopy, started in 4' but foxtailed)
Medium: 15 liters plastic pot filled with
25% Perlite
10% Coco Coir
10% Vermiculite
25% EWC
25% Old organic soil
5% Amendments (Dolomite, Bone Meal, Kelp Meal, Oyster Shells, Greensand)

Temps around 30°C (86°F), RH ~60% - 70%

Amendments also used to brew organic tea with some fresh EWC, first round this week.

After flipping, plant stretches 60cm (~24 inches), total height: 90cm (~35 inches). Smelling earthy scent for a while.

20240116_164401.jpg
20240116_164647.jpg

20240116_164423.jpg
20240116_164729.jpg

Looks like a sort of Skunk. What u think?

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
You're gonna take a wild guess and then that will be its name is my guess.
😉
It's skunk, definitely. The smells is remarkable, if I was the first person to smell this plant, I'd call it skunk for the remarkable scent.

Threw out a hermie plant full of nanners.
This plant had no nanners but it's a hermie. I see some seeds rising inside the buds.
I know what I'm growing, it's a perfect pattern for Paraguayan bag seeds. Never know why that seeds were hidden. Cartels love hermies because it supplies seeds to replant and buds to sell, quality is not an issue.

20240120_125835.jpg

20240120_125755.jpg

The good point is a soil full of life. Mites, Collembule, Earthworms, all there. Dr. Elaine Ingham and Jeff Lowenfels are extraordinary resources. After watering with compost tea, need for water faded down from 10% of pot volume/24 hours for 72 hours. Now the soil holds water due to microbial and fungi activity.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Almost everything is a Skunk. All these not-so-fancy strains with weird names are Skunks. Some Haze and Kushes, but I started reading about all of this stuff and all of this stuff is Skunk. Wedding Cake, Runtz, Blue Dream... Loved ones White Widow and Northern Lights, Skunks.
Am I wrong?

There is a Customs and Borders strike right now in the country. Guys made more than a million/year and are complaining... Cant believe it. So, seeds are patiently waiting for customs release. No seeds for me. Heard about almost 50.000.000 packages waiting.

Someone there said to like Monty Python. Terry Gilliam knows, a dystopian place where bureaucracy and appearance are the machines of the state.

In the middle of this I got a mission: stabilize this Paraguayan thing. It is a wild plant, not quite a landrace, but it has been breeding on its own in open fields for at least 10 years. I found this, day 40:

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-30 at 17.52.41_bc2a40c3.jpg

There was no nanners, but seeds. Genetics and possible light leaking made it happen.

Further researching are showing possibilities. Around a quarter of chance for every possibility. Male, female, hermie and seeds that will not germinate.

It's not even about self-sufficiency in seeds. It's about planting something cool, with history and tradition, conserving what is traditional.

Because I regret not having crossed that Paraguayan landrace of fifteen years ago that was replaced by the cartels with skunks. I believe the Skunk phenotype from 10 years ago is cooler than those mentioned.

That Guaya took 16 weeks to fully mature. Tastes like boldo, I've never smoked anything so bitter in my life. There is no known cigar with that level of bitterness. The high was completely paranoid, cerebral, it made you want to run away looking back all the time.

As Jake Elwood would say, "I'm on a mission from God".

funkyhorse

Boa noite cara
Amazing almost nobody ever bred with paraguayan weed
My idea is paraguayan must be terrible for their environments in Europe or Usa the same way usa and european bred indicas do terrible here
For anyone complaining, I must remind you that skunkized paraguayan is a lot better than no paraguayan at all
I would be growing the same as you if paraguayan brick would be available like before.
To the countryside is not arriving anymore, the little that arrives here goes straight to the touristic areas and the big city

Do you grow with habeas corpus? I have seen the ridiculous pricing of over 13.000 reais lawyers demand for the habeas corpus work and I wonder if lawyers or the system have any clue how many kilos of brick you could buy with that money, basically you could smoke paraguayan brick for almost all your life for the price of an habeas corpus

It seems paraguayan weed went through 2 different hybridizations, first one in the beginning of 90s when they brought from Holland white widow, skunk or northern lights, whatever it was ruined the original genepool probably after the pressure on demand following Fumo da Lata event.

The original paraguayan in the 80s was a strain growing leaf like palm trees having a lot of leaflets per leaf, between 13 and 21 leaflets

And then it seems the second hybridization started a few years after DEA set up basis in Pedro Juan Caballero in 2006 and comandos started ruling over the area. I simply relate it because DEA needs a cartel and traffickers in order to survive and justify their existence.
DEA promote what they fight, if they dont do it, they cease to exist

I agree with you the brick from 15 years ago was decent but it was very far from the 80s.
15 years ago I smoked paraguayan in south east asia side by side with the local brick and for me paraguayan always was better
It is also a matter of identity

I dont think primo hollanditis is what we want. It is an early paraguayan selected for earliness and indoor adaptability crossed to an indica. They didnt have any better idea than to cross it to an indica in order to ruin it. Can you find this Primo Hollanditis seed?

It seems this one has good reviews, of course when it arrives to Hollywood paraguayan weed turns into Columbia, Paramount Pictures or Metro Goldwyn Mayer
I would grow it if seed was available

What germination % you got from paraguayan brick?
First hybridization happened more than 30 years ago...at this point in history the skunkized paraguayan might be considered landrace by some

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Na paz mano, e vc tá suave?
Thank you for sharing all this valuable information

To be honest, I thought that these seeds were euro seeds from my last batch bought back in 2014, Skunks from GHS and Amnesia Haze from RQS. After it starts getting shape, could notice that was a little different from these strains, being more close to that old bagseeds I had time ago. Then I got disappointed, specially after sexing two males and a hermie. From 5 seeds, 4 sprouted, 2 males, 1 female and a hermie. Due to my homemade tent, some light leaking also hermied the female at week 3/4 after pistils. Then, waiting for seeds, realized that we have a customs strike at the borders, so no packs are coming in, nothing is going out. I'm still waiting.

Reading about modern strains got a little disappointed. Everything looks the same but with different terps. I'm probably wrong, but started to feel necessity to stop just being a seed consumer, trying to get back to the basics and my best shot is in hands, THC and CBD are not important, keep an OG is the thing.

My first Paraguayan date back to this time, 2014, it was a tall and lanky sativa with these leaves full of leaflets, almost impossible to grow indoors. Still find the photos. In 14 weeks didn't reach full mature but chopped it anyway, and it was a shit smoke, bitter and paranoid. Both Skunks and Haze were better at that time.

During pandemics, I bought a half kilo brick. Found some seeds and tried a simple grow at that time without spending any money, had a journal here called No Budget Run. They are not seeds from the same batch, but came from the same place for sure, bricks sold in São Paulo by PCC. That leaves were wider than this current one, had much more of a 50/50 hybrid skunk look than this one. The 2021 plant had a more body relaxing effect with earthy taste. I'm eager to feel how the new one gonna act in my brain hahah, but I have some expectation that it will have a more uplifting effect on the body and a more cerebral effect too, given the plant's appearance, but it's just a guess.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 14.11.23_9193a5f3.jpg

Bricks changed over the years. Street weed in São Paulo is no longer that black crap full of insects, dirty and ammonia smell. Cartel has improved it a little, still a brick but clean. At least the ones I've been smoking last years is green, sticky, very hard to find a seed, still branches and leaves, but is almost impossible to finda reliable seed. Far from a homegrown organic stuff, but better than in early 2000.

My readings here are confirming what I've lived, and this is awesome. Theory and practice met. I already had access to both Paraguayan sativas, the OG lanky and tall and this actual one, shorter, it accepts some fimming and LST very well. PCC got some importance in Paraguay at the time you said according to most online sources like THC Magazine and this sort of PCC spokesperson. Probably after its arrival, the introduction of this second generation of hybrids started to happen. So my run after 2014 with that lanky was a lucky shot, probably from a distant farmer who lasts to get the new strains. But I may have had three different phenos along this time.

That USA base is just the old'n'bold trial to control everything, the cartel surpassed that with ease. In the end, for what we know about their presence in South America, USA (CIA) is probably working with the cartels, so that was not a base, it was a supporting office. Untold history of Kiki Camarena is what I mean.

Thank you for posting this doc, I'm watching. One of the best passages of this are in Nelson Motta's book about Tim Maia. Veneno da Lata, Verão da Lata, specially cuz there was this story of everyone being dry at the time, time that regular weed came from the states of the Northeast of Brazil, from the Marijuana Polygon, a place in Brazil where landraces grew for more than 300 years... Maybe "Da Lata" would be the best name for a local breed strain....

Oh no, Primo Hollanditis is just a reference. Just trying to discover what I'm growing, and I thought I could be growing it, it was a Paraguayan they took to Europe but it is a cross made by dutches... If I found it... but looks like M18 became just history as well, now it's a Prima Holandita, check it, completely different.

This Paraguayan Skunk has a different value from fashionable commercial strains. My intention is to reproduce this plant from these hermies. Then cross males and females and then start choosing the best plants. It's a medium-long term project, but initially I wouldn't want to cross this plant, the idea is to seek purity and not this or that terp, this or that commercial characteristic... just with a lower hermies rate for a while. I want a kilo of these seeds. I'll be opening a thread if these seeds mature properly and become viable, then I'm going to start this game. It may seem like an over reaction, but I think I found a purpose.

funkyhorse

How do you make the links in red? I am not internet savvy

Excellent the article about PCC

This is done with local native fresh guadua
I tried different methods
The one in the back is exactly same as paraguayan brick. Same taste and smell, same burning, same density
It is done with fresh weed, you can compress it very good. Using dry weed is not that good but not bad either
Both methods ferment naturally
Neighbours are very happy with this cure, me too
I have never seen paraguayan brick without seeds. The last time I succeeded to source brick was 12 years ago, I never thought it would become so difficult to find. According to your post it seems it is different weed today with the comandos in the game
Thai haze Bamboo cure front dry back moist (2).jpeg

Irmao haxixonmind grows paraguayan from 2014 brick

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
This is done with local native fresh guadua
I tried different methods
The one in the back is exactly same as paraguayan brick. Same taste and smell, same burning, same density
It is done with fresh weed, you can compress it very good. Using dry weed is not that good but not bad either
Both methods ferment naturally
Neighbours are very happy with this cure, me too
I have never seen paraguayan brick without seeds. The last time I succeeded to source brick was 12 years ago, I never thought it would become so difficult to find. According to your post it seems it is different weed today with the comandos in the game
View attachment 18954734

Hey @Tangwena
Guaraní Cob Style just like I told you
hahahaha

I'd like to be your neighbor @funkyhorse
:smokeit:

At first I learned this, to moist the dry weed from the brick, using cachaça
Then find out some recipes with honey and cachaça in a bamboo stick, like yours
I'd love to try these recipes
Just weed? did you buried it?

Llevo 5 años comprando al mismo proveedor y vende small bricks (15 o 50 gramas) muy limpios.
Voy a intentar comprarla en la favela, solo para ver si encuentro las semillas
Pero solo logré juntar 5 semillas en más de un año.
Vienen más, pero no son buenas y se rompen al apretarlos en la mano

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Las fotos de mi sativa paraguaya 2014 están en growroom.net y no puedo acceder al foro
por ora continuo intentando

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Great! I'm watching some grows you pointed and the first problem breeding Guayas is powdery mildew
She is wild, like to stay naked in the wind S2
Growing indoor tends to have this kind of mold
The list have now two itens:
1 - Remove - decrease number of hermies
2 - Breed the most resistant to Powdery Mildew

funkyhorse

I heard from different growers paraguayans outdoors dont have pm nor botrytis
Indoors they seem to be very difficult. I have seen inbreeding depression from indoor grown paraguayans

For PM you can try wettable sulphur or bordeaux mixture and use it only in veg
Use potassium soap during flower and apply only with humidity over 50%

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Paraguayan Sativa - PCC cut

Indoors stresses much more, will take a long time to find the most resistant plants.
Think its a good idea to assembly another chamber to run these Guayas. Lots of diseases may appear.
Customs and borders strike is close to finish, probably in some days I'll be able to grow some dutch passion and sensi seeds which will be a great standard to watch and learn.
Its a unique plant for sure and must be kept.
Took a clone from another plant which heavily hermied after a HST just before flipping it flower.
Its a female, one will be for buds the other for seeds, just need to find a male from my hermie plant.
And my Pimenta Andina (Capsicum baccatum) just sprouted.

20240204_222249.jpg

The trichome development is little. I believe its my learning curve with these quantum boards.

20240204_112737.jpg
20240204_112454.jpg

Week 07 Day 52 - Living soil is great. Just a hand made compost "leacha-tea", 6 hours of fresh EWC + kelp + greensand + bone meal (teaspoons) in 2 liters of water mixed every five minutes with air exchange to make it aerobic. No signals of deficiency.

20240204_112851.jpg
20240204_112529.jpg

Galaxy phone makes my life as a photographer much harder. Had a Zenfone from Asus, after 5 years it suddenly stopped to work then had to buy this Samsung. My pics are using the auto mode, better use pro controls but they are simply a sh1t, no precision at all.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
First Paraguayan bean.
It was jumping out of the bud.
For now on, it will be called "Paraguayan Hybrid", since it's not that Old Sativa from years ago.
Maybe it was some bulk seeds of x strain from y seed bank from the USA or EU. Maybe not.
I hope to find different plants, completely different from each other, so the search will make sense.
I cannot state about when I got these seeds. Certainly less than 5 years, so this is what people have been smoking down here.

Screenshot_20240209_091039_Gallery(1).jpg

Melting down, clones, peppers - and I am waiting for the rain to relieve 88°F. The smell of this plant is amazing.

20240212_180423.jpg
20240212_180408.jpg

Far from a good run. Lots of learning lessons. But it's closing to the end at the best Paraguay Style: Seeds to start again + buds to have fun. But this plant can give much more than this.

Paraguayan Hybrid (bagseed from São Paulo greater area - Brazil)
Flowering Day 60 - 31°C (88°F) - 5:40PM

20240212_093006.jpg

Customs strike is gone! Beans of known breeders are coming. Paraguay Soul Search will start smoothly.
I think that 5 days more and this is the end for it.

20240212_092948.jpg
20240212_171328.jpg

No expectations for the dope after a shorter flora.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
It's skunk, definitely. The smells is remarkable, if I was the first person to smell this plant, I'd call it skunk for the remarkable scent.

Threw out a hermie plant full of nanners.
This plant had no nanners but it's a hermie. I see some seeds rising inside the buds.
I know what I'm growing, it's a perfect pattern for Paraguayan bag seeds. Never know why that seeds were hidden. Cartels love hermies because it supplies seeds to replant and buds to sell, quality is not an issue.

View attachment 18949018
View attachment 18949019

The good point is a soil full of life. Mites, Collembule, Earthworms, all there. Dr. Elaine Ingham and Jeff Lowenfels are extraordinary resources. After watering with compost tea, need for water faded down from 10% of pot volume/24 hours for 72 hours. Now the soil holds water due to microbial and fungi activity.
there it is …skunk