What's new

Guerrilla Grow Soil Mixes?

I have 10-20 rooted clones that I'm vegging out for a month or so...after which I want to transplant to one gallon fabric pots and take them to some secluded overgrown lots I know of (only one per lot, so as to reduce risk) and let them finish under the still strong Florida sun...the deal here is I want to make a soil mix hot enough to get them through the flower without ever having to go out there & feed them...I realize in 1-gals that won't be easy and the mix might be hot enough to burn the ladies, at first, but if they can recover & still finish without my intervention it is still worth it...I don't use salts, so please keep the suggestions as organic as possible, and I have a very tight budget...other than that, I don't want to have to revisit these guys until the harvest window, at which point I could prolly finish them in my side yard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thank you.

St. Phatty

I have 10-20 rooted clones that I'm vegging out for a month or so...after which I want to transplant to one gallon fabric pots and take them to some secluded overgrown lots I know of (only one per lot, so as to reduce risk) and let them finish under the still strong Florida sun...the deal here is I want to make a soil mix hot enough to get them through the flower without ever having to go out there & feed them...I realize in 1-gals that won't be easy and the mix might be hot enough to burn the ladies, at first, but if they can recover & still finish without my intervention it is still worth it...I don't use salts, so please keep the suggestions as organic as possible, and I have a very tight budget...other than that, I don't want to have to revisit these guys until the harvest window, at which point I could prolly finish them in my side yard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thank you.

How close is the site to the ocean ? Or, what is the elevation ?

In other words, is it possible that the area has been flooded with salt water ? I ask that because it's in Florida.

I have the impression that Cannabis does not like salty soil.

Probably you have most of the ingredients for fantastic soil - it just needs to be mixed. Right now it's sand/ gravel/ clay on the bottom, covered with decaying leaves etc.

I suggest digging the holes, then MAYBE laying down some wire mesh (aviary mesh like for chickencoops) to slow down critters that like to dig and eat baby plants.

Then filling in with alternating layers of leaves, with sand on top, then more leaves, and another layer of sand ... etc. etc.

That will get you the right soil texture. Then you just need some NPK rich nutes.

How close is the site to the ocean ? Or, what is the elevation ?

In other words, is it possible that the area has been flooded with salt water ? I ask that because it's in Florida.

Not a chance, I'm as central Florida as central gets, an hour drive to the shore in one direction and an hour & a half the other direction.

Ktaadn

You would have to be constantly watering them in one gallon pots. Digging proper holes in the ground and using a slow release fertilizer would be your best bet for what you're looking to accomplish.

'Boogieman'

Have you transplanted from 1 gallon fabric pots before? I tried it once and it was a disaster for me because the roots clinged to the fabric pots.

Outdoors you can make your soil hotter than what most use indoors, you will want it to sit and cook for a bit though. Add roughly 6-8 cups of organic fertilizer of your choice per cubic foot of soil. I like chicken manure pellets outdoors because animals don't mess with it like they do blood and bone.

T

Teddybrae

Test the drainage. Test the pH. Correct it if necessary. Dig in lots of chicken shit. Then mulch.

PDX Dopesmoker

I used to do great using ash from the fireplace, but I guess you don't have a lot of that so far south, which is a shame because ash is really nice compact and mineral rich stuff to be mixing into to the soil. Thats great that you're able to take advantage and flower out guerrilla plants over the winter, I bet you get tasty results out of the project.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Have you transplanted from 1 gallon fabric pots before? I tried it once and it was a disaster for me because the roots clinged to the fabric pots.

Outdoors you can make your soil hotter than what most use indoors, you will want it to sit and cook for a bit though. Add roughly 6-8 cups of organic fertilizer of your choice per cubic foot of soil. I like chicken manure pellets outdoors because animals don't mess with it like they do blood and bone.
Roll the pot down like stockings, no prob. Or you can transplant in the pot. The roots will pierce through the pot. It is the light that stops the roots not the pot.

St. Phatty

What is the composition of the soil now ? If you did down, what do you find at 3 inches - 6 inches - 12 inches - 24 inches etc.

The main thing is to have some soil mixing, i.e. silt/ humus mixed with the sand, so there is sand on top of the silt/humus.

Thinking that you're prepping for 2020, you can mix in loads of manures, since you have about 6 months for the worms to do their thing.

My guess is, rodents will have access to your crop.

Might be good to dig out a hole and lay down aviary wire on the bottom, to slow down the bigger digger's.

thedudefresco

Here is what you want to do, bro.

Step 1.) Go to your location and pick 2-3 areas in your plot. Identify the plants growing closest to these areas. Take pics and go home.

Step 2.) Search these plants and find out what kinds of soil they grow in. Now you have rough estimate of what the native soil is. Maybe the presence of some plants in an area and their absence in another can tell you where the good soil is.

Step 3.) Dig hole or take soil from the nutrient rich areas. If your plot isn't in a nutrient dense area (it probably is not because it is in full sun) then take soil from a shaded area and move it to the plot. Use a 50/50 mix of the native soil from one area to the other.

Step 4.) Assuming you have months before grow season, after you have prepped these holes then you want to water them and then cover with some local bark and leaves. Pile this on a good amount. These local leaves and shit. Go home.

Step 5.) Now, do you get lots of rain or nah? Its prolly rainy season bruh so you don't go out there and stick your amendments in there only to be washed away. Let dat dere nature do its work for a bit. If you live in a dry climate during winter, then go out there and keep that a bit moist but ideally pile on enough organic crap scattered around to keep the soil under there moist. When you come back, you want to see rolly pollys and shit in that pile. Ants. W/e. You want to see signs of bugs.

Step 6.) Once you see signs of bugs and they are thriving, you can be happy that they are poopin there too. You are their daddy now. IF you don't keep that plot of soil moist with enough leaves and shit on top or if it gets hot and you don't go water then they all will die or bounce and that won't be good. But don't baby them too much. Just keep moist. All this bacteria and life is local so they are pretty tough. Just make sure they have some water/shelter.

Step 7.) Now lets say its getting close to when you want to plant. Ok you want to buy some worm castings if you can. You don't need much just a few handfulls or more depending on each hole. Go to the plot one day and dig up those holes a bit there may be ants and all this stuff but yeah you guerilla and they are your allies. Mix all the soil with the organic stuff that has been on top. Churn it. And add some worm castings while you do this. Remember when you looked up the plants growing around here? Ok. Well if they like the same kind of soil as cannabis you are chillin. If they don't you can amend to change ph. 9/10 you will need to acidify. So get some of those dehydrated peat pellets and bring out there and mix in.

Step 7.) After a month or so, you can plant. I would recommend staring your plants in pots before bringing them to plot or something. When you plant the weed in your plot, don't plant it deep at all. Cannabis has roots that like to get surface nutes so we can encourage that by planting shallow. Mulch around each rootball with compost that you bring out. don't need to much just for a few inches on top around each hole after you plant. On top of this compost mulch layer, you will add another layer of mulch. This will be 50 50 mixture of local soil and local mulch like crushed leaves, bark etc...baiscally whatever kind of mulchy shit is in your local environment. Every month of so, you can topdress this mulchy layer with some amendments liek guano or anything special if you want to give an N P or K boost. But this is not necessary.

thedudefresco

Reread the OP.

So you don't want to go out there again, you need to put some inches of crushed charcoal or gravel on the bottoms of the holes.

Since water seems to be plentiful, and you don't have to worry about watering, You want to make the layer thick enough to act as a barrier in cases it gets flooded.

You can also dig these holes wide, and build mounds of soil and plant in those mounds. This way gravity will draw the water down away from the root zone in case of excess.

Latest posts

Latest posts