What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guatemala sativa

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi psyphish,

Beautiful one :) Guatemala has usually brownish pistils, although pink pistils are not so rare in american sativas genepool. The flowers must be yummy around this stage of flowering :yummy:

walkabout

psyphish, for 250w I would say that looks like quite the lovely lady. I am in the process of setting up a 250-400w sativa grow using a lot of ace genetics. I think more people need to realize these ladies can be done under lower wattage indoor lights. Sure the yield won't be able to touch the outdoor grows and the terpene profiles are likely not to be near as complex, but for personal growers going for quality these indoor buds are still going to be way better than all this heavy indica garbage you find everywhere. Kudos to your friend for keeping these genetics going

psyphish

Veteran
The plants are still alive and they keep on flowering. The 250w light was changed to "300" watt chinese LED panel and a 2x55w PL-L. Soon after this the plants started swelling, they're still really strange looking and we're having difficulties telling if the plants are ripe or not. The brown/red haired plant has 99% brown pistils and the pink haired phenotype looks about 75% done, haven't spotted any amber trichomes in either plant so I'm guessing they will never go amber.

walkabout

How many weeks are they? Also, you say there is no amber. What is the percent of cloudy/clear? Some of my friends growing pure sats even farther north then me say that some of their strains never go amber...idk if it has to do with temps or what but they have never been unhappy with their final product regardless haha

waveguide

Veteran
no real objective findings, but..

they're triched up pretty nice under that led. maybe adding a cfl would fill out the spectrum a bit. if you do a diy panel sometime, i threw a far red in mine (there's red, deep red, then far red is ~740nm, had to source the led at mouser). seen some stuff that said far red helps with flowering. plants seem to grow well under it, but my panel is super tiny.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Very nice, Psyphish. The angle of the leaf serrations & the way the they fade to smooth in the sugar leaves seems distinctive, different.

psyphish

Veteran
How many weeks are they? Also, you say there is no amber. What is the percent of cloudy/clear? Some of my friends growing pure sats even farther north then me say that some of their strains never go amber...idk if it has to do with temps or what but they have never been unhappy with their final product regardless haha

They've been flowering about three months now, they're my friend's first grow and he didn't keep exact track of the days. Most of the trichs look cloudy though.

The brown haired plant is getting harvested today. The other one will be left to flower for at least two more weeks.

no real objective findings, but..

they're triched up pretty nice under that led. maybe adding a cfl would fill out the spectrum a bit. if you do a diy panel sometime, i threw a far red in mine (there's red, deep red, then far red is ~740nm, had to source the led at mouser). seen some stuff that said far red helps with flowering. plants seem to grow well under it, but my panel is super tiny.

There's already two 55w PL-L (fluorescent) bulbs, one 6500K and one 2100K. Figured they would supplement the LED perfectly.

Very nice, Psyphish. The angle of the leaf serrations & the way the they fade to smooth in the sugar leaves seems distinctive, different.

The leaves are indeed unique looking, might even be able to get some hash from those leaves.

walkabout

They've been flowering about three months now, they're my friend's first grow and he didn't keep exact track of the days. Most of the trichs look cloudy though.

The brown haired plant is getting harvested today. The other one will be left to flower for at least two more weeks.

Nice be sure to update with a smoke report if you get a chance, seeing your results indoor with this plant literally just made me place an order with ace today...spend 75 euros get 8 Guatemala standards free, so had to add some bang haze, nep jam, and pck, along with the Guatemala freebies to my sativa project haha

psyphish

Veteran
Eh.. I guess this strain needs a long cure or something. The brown haired pheno doesn't work at all. I smoked 6 bowls in a row last night but only got high when I started smoking other stuff.

[edit] I realize it's only been 5 days since the plant was harvested, but I've never had buds that didn't work at least a little after being mostly dry. I'm gonna try the Guatemala again in a few weeks.

walkabout

Yea these types of sativas typically need a long cure to bring out their full potential...odd you didn't even get a little something though. Maybe it's just the most creeper herb in the world haha jk

Rinse

Veteran
Eh.. I guess this strain needs a long cure or something. The brown haired pheno doesn't work at all. I smoked 6 bowls in a row last night but only got high when I started smoking other stuff.

[edit] I realize it's only been 5 days since the plant was harvested, but I've never had buds that didn't work at least a little after being mostly dry. I'm gonna try the Guatemala again in a few weeks.

Some sativa's just wont "do it" under lights (especially landraces and cfl lighting).
Though Im quite surprised as those buds look nice from your pics,
We have to remember these plants have evolved producing their resin under intense equatorial sun.
A cure can work wonders but its doubtful to improve much on potency that isn't there in the first place...
I've never seen the Guatemalan grow indoor before but with any luck the other pheno's will be more interesting.

psyphish

Veteran
The brown haired pheno does work, but is very mild. It's all in the head. The pink/orange pheno is still alive, but coming down in a couple of days. It looks better than the other pheno, more resin and overall danker, it doesn't smell sweet or good like the brown haired pheno, it's more garbage-y.

Brown haired pheno dried bud.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi psyphish,

Your flowers look very well: dense and resinous :yes: Well developed for being grown under low/moderate light intensity

Guess it's too early to make a smoke report, i'm sure the potency and deepness of the effect will improve after a few weeks more of drying and curing. The second plant looks dank! Thanks for posting!

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Here's mine, grown outside and flowered in a 4' deep hole at the end for security reasons.

Decent yield at this size, probably would have performed much better grown in the ground instead of a pot.

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for sharing your Guatemala Dawn Patrol!

Classic sativas Xmas tree structure :) How was the smoke ?

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Thanks Dubi

Thanks Dubi

Thanks for sharing your Guatemala Dawn Patrol!

Classic sativas Xmas tree structure :) How was the smoke ?

Smoke was just OK, but I really don't think I did this gal justice in any way. For the last month the 5 gal pot was in a 4 ft deep hole and I was watering her morning, noon and night.

I just don't think she could develop enough root mass in a pot that size to really do well and give a good accounting of herself.

Next year I might go with a larger sized pot and not use any supplemental lighting so she doesn't veg at all and stretch so much. I think a potted 5' plant would produce better quality flowers than a potted 10 footer.

psyphish

Veteran
Smoke was just OK, but I really don't think I did this gal justice in any way. For the last month the 5 gal pot was in a 4 ft deep hole and I was watering her morning, noon and night.

I just don't think she could develop enough root mass in a pot that size to really do well and give a good accounting of herself.

Next year I might go with a larger sized pot and not use any supplemental lighting so she doesn't veg at all and stretch so much. I think a potted 5' plant would produce better quality flowers than a potted 10 footer.

5 Gallons is a lot of rootspace, my friend's guatemala I posted earlier was in about 7 liters I think. They got about 200 grams dry from two guatemalas with about 200 watts of light.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
5 Gallons is a lot of rootspace

Maybe indoors, but there's a big difference outdoors, when you factor in the sun intensity, the heat and the wind. A plant that size can go through a ton of water in a very short period of time.

I'm not always at the grow site so I can't baby my plants the way an indoor grower might, I just know that too many times the pot dried out way more than I would have liked. It never got bone dry, but I know this girl didn't get all the water she would have liked.