What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

guard dogs- am I OK with just one ya think?

ijim

Depends on how well you can handle the smell and how much shit you want to clean up seeing it is a small apartment. Training one can be hell when you have to take them for walks. And have a life also.

ijim

No matter where you live no one should bother you if you keep your lips buttoned and don't be carrying bales of coco in the place. A growers ego is their own worst enemy.

caucasian shepherd
Caucasian+Shepherd.jpg

friendly yet very territorial, tough, and expensive.. but you're set with one.

big twinn

Veteran
I have an imported German Shepherd, fully protection trained. I also live in an apartment style town house. Best dog I have EVER owned or been around! GSD are SUPER loyal and incredibly smart. Since my dog is of working lines, i walk him multiple times a day, including fetch twice per day for his high drive. Guarantee no one could break into my house and get away with it. With that being said, he is great with people, most often mistaken for a therapy dog for how friendly he is, (Just wait until you cross the line). If you want a dog that lives a long time, super friendly, and incredibly smart, go with a GSD, you'll never regret it...my dog is like velcro!

I also live in an apt.

big twinn

Veteran
coming from a guy with a fully protection/bitework trained euro shepherd, go with a shepherd...most loyal easily trained dogs you could hope for. Great with kids. You want a protection dog that is well socialized and great around people...not vicious...a good protection dog knows when its game time and when its not. Most house holds cant manage a well bred malinois...those dogs are not pets, they are working bred dogs needing constant attention !

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i got a boxweller(boxer x rottweller) and a malpit(malinois x pitt) x pitt

ill tell you right now...the boxweller is a much much better guard dog than the malpit

the malpit, both parents, the malinois and the pitt have a natural territorry agression, the difference is the pits agression is always directed towards other dogs, they are what i like to call "a dogs dog" they have a very high pack mentality and therfore agressive with all unknown animals especialy other dogs... pitts are also reffered to as "dog stoppers"

boxweller is amazing, he is somewhat passive with other dogs, and never barks at other animals...but when ppl come near the yard or knock at the door(like when i order food) watch the fuck out...he gets soo excited and litterally wants to eat them...no joke he has tried to attack the garbage men when my mom was baybysitting him(he does not respect her so he listens to her less...opposite with me)...he belongs to the category of "man stoppers"

other dogs that belong in the "man stopper" category are:

rottweller
german shephard
malinois
mastif
doberman
boxer
chow

ect....the list goes on...but pitts do not belong in this category(even though there is a kennel called manstoppers kennel that sells pitts)

http://www.dog-breeders.co.za/index...-10-guard-dogs-in-the-world-real-man-stoppers

S

swisscheese

What happens when your place gets robbed while you're out walking your pack of dogs?