What's new

Growtronix

S

sneakyninja

I wanted to use this software/hardware to control everything in my grow but now i'm being told by a couple of users that its total crap.

So if you've used GT (Growtronix) please post your thoughts here

Version of software used?

How long used for?

What did you use Growtronix to control?

What did you use Growtronix to monitor?

Did the software ever lock up on you or have any other problems?

Your overall thoughts on Growtronix?

Thanks,
SN

Last edited:

IGrowWithLEDs

OK, this is a good one

I used the older version and some of the newer versions.

I used it for about 1 years before giving up.

I used it for temp, humidity, lights and fans, nutrient dosing, and a few other sensors.

The software has HUGE problems, the worst being the memory leak that at about 2-4 days it locks up my machines. I tried it on 3 different computers, and I'm a pc tech so I know what I am doing and not just some stupid novice. The software, every version, always had issues with correctly displaying the right time eventhough the system clock was fine. The owner DJ is a complete jackass that screwed over MANY people, most notoriously the ph/tds meter that costs $400. 2 years later I am still waiting. He lies so much it is rediculous. Always an excuse for why he hasn't finished your order yet.

DONT BUY GROWTRONIX. This guy is a thief. Could be a great product, but losing out on $400 or more, and flaky software, and this guys attitude that he can screw anyone over because he knows they are all pot growers is horrible.

Dont just take my opinion. Let others speak up. Some have good experiences with him (those that didn't buy the ph/tds meter), but all of us who did are left in the dust. Look up DeadlyFoez encounter with him. ICMAG took down the thread bc Deadly flamed DJ to death for how DJ screwed him over. DJ lost a lot of bussiness bc of Deadly, and rightfully so. You should be able to find some good info still about Deadly's situation, and even his thread about his cab that he built around Blowtronix but couldn't finish bc of that damn meter

Seriously, spend the money on those controller units, they are a lot more reliable and dont have the chance of Windows crashing all the time, and that jerk-off DJ doesn't sell them so you dont have to deal with him.

S

sneakyninja

2hi2soon said:
Ain't that enough for ya?

It's enough to make me hesitate, not enough to stop me.

GT seems to do several things that no other software/hardware packages are even capable of.

To those that reported unstability in the program I have a few questions:

1. What Operating system were you running

2. Was the computer running only growtronix or was anything else other than the basic os on the pc

3. How often was the computer reset

Windows tends to become an unstable operating system if not reset every day or 2, my hope is that these computers were never being reset and/or running other programs, these factors could combine to make a semi-badly written program unstable, especially in the time window of 3-4 days that people have mentioned. If the program turns out to be unstable I may still use the hardware with a custom written program.

The theory and idea is a great one, it may just be poorly applied in which case I'd even be interested in potentially creating my own version similar to that of growtronix, but rather than concentrating on having the prettiest GUI or the most extra features instead focus on a reliable, effective program for similar or lower pricing combined with being a good business man and meeting all delivery promises etc.

Thanks,
SN

Last edited:

2hi2soon

sneakyninja said:
To those that reported unstability in the program I have a few questions:

1. What Operating system were you running

2. Was the computer running only growtronix or was anything else other than the basic os on the pc

3. How often was the computer reset

1. Windoze xp fully patched.

2. Dedicated pc (several) only running GT.

3. You had to reset the computer every day when the GT server froze.

Windows happily runs millions of programs everyday across the world without the need to power cycle the machine. You think they'd make money if that wasn't the case :bashhead:

I give up, spend your money. Why do I give a shit.

Stay Puft

Another alternative to GT.

Another alternative to GT.

Take a look at Mr. House. (open source-FREE)
http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/

This software was originally suggested by guest Sygh here on ICM and I believe he is 100% correct. I tried it a year ago on a Win98 machine and it would crash. I have since tried it on a Win2k build and it works fine-n-dandy! This software can communicate with almost anything. So far i have installed the server and poked around at Mr. House's html based user interface. But I always seem struggle through configuration/setup stuff... so it will be slow going for me. Anyone else care to try it?

GT seems to do several things that no other software/hardware packages are even capable of.
To Me, the only thing GT seems to be capable of that Mr. House is not is vacating your wallet! :nono:

Anywho...something to consider.
Regards,
Stay_Puft

Y

yamaha_1fan

sneakyninja said:
Windows tends to become an unstable operating system if not reset every day or 2, my hope is that these computers were never being reset and/or running other programs, these factors could combine to make a semi-badly written program unstable, especially in the time window of 3-4 days that people have mentioned. If the program turns out to be unstable I may still use the hardware with a custom written program.

I'll have to say BS on that. Maybe on older OS's but I have a file server running Win 2000 that NEVER gets rebooted. My desktop PC's run XP pro and never get rebooted either. They run multiple applications, databases, spreadsheets, etc. And same on my laptops, XP pro or home and they never need rebooting.

SN, I have heard some bad things about GT. I remember someone posting here for months about how he never got something ordered. Whatever you do, dont send him cash, make sure you use a credit card or some other method you can dispute. If he only takes cash, thats a sign right there.

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
I was really interested in GT too. After following the threads here including one that no longer exists, I figured I'd wait till the technology had matured some. For me nothing would be cooler than a computer controlled environment.

One of the biggest drawbacks for me was the fact that GT only works with sensors that come from GT. So if they go belly up, then you are stuck with what you have at that time and if it breaks, you would be screwed. One of the prominent issues before was getting sensors replaced in a timely manner.

If you decide to go with it keep us posted as there are some that are interested in it, but only if it works.

green_tea

Windows does not just randomly need to be rebooted, hell I work for a datacenter with Linux/Windows/etc etc computer on all the time 24/7

The only real reason you should have to restart your windows server environment is for patching.

With regards to the application, it sounds to me like it has a huge memory leak, as per igrowwithleds...

If you don't know what that is its basically poorly coded software that when run, will slowly eat up resources because of this or that, eventually causing the computer to crash. The best coders don't let this happen.

Im guessing that because GT is working with a lot of data, memory leaks are real easy to crop up. When I was running test numbers for my program im working on, I was looking at 200MB every 24 hrs.

I personally think the system is too limited, and was poorly developed... Though I am going to be stealing some ideas from it! hahahah

S

sneakyninja

Shitty that it doesn't deliver, the program is perfect if it could just reliably accomplish what it claims it can. Perhaps the new V2.0 will be better, but i'm not willing to risk my crop and potentially my security on it.

SN

PS. I will be looking in to having a friend that is an ivy league grad student software engineer take a look at Mr. House and see if he can use that as a basis for creating something very similar to GT.

So you're going to take open-source software, reinvent it, and sell it? :nono:

There's a reason it's open-source. Stop trying to make a buck, and get involved with the open-source project. People work better together when there is no money, disputes, etc. involved.

I've used GT on and off for a couple of years and never had a problem....go figure....

I'm only using a few of his sensors however, Temp CO2 and Humidity. I have had no problems with my pc locking up on me or anything like that and I rarely reboot my PC. Maybe its because I'm only running a few sensors ...who knows. All I know is that it works for me, I get text messages when my CO2 is low and it keeps my humidity and CO2 at perfect levels. Plus with the new features you can send pics and keep a grow log as well. I personally wouldn't rely on any computer program to control the absolute essentials to a grow ie Lights, Pumps, etc. cheap timers do the job just as well. But for the price of a standard CO2 monitor you can have a system that will not only monitor your CO2, plus keep logs of your temps, humidity and alert you when things are outta wack....I personally think its worth the price....

Your mileage may vary

Peace
H$T$

S

sneakyninja

PurplePotion said:
So you're going to take open-source software, reinvent it, and sell it? :nono:

There's a reason it's open-source. Stop trying to make a buck, and get involved with the open-source project. People work better together when there is no money, disputes, etc. involved.

Capitalism is a wonderful thing isn't it. :jump:

I'm a businessman at heart and if there's an opening to make money by supplying a better, faster, more reliable and easier to use product than what is currently available you better believe im going to take it. Ill help out on here with whatever I know anytime and have learned SO much from the reading i've done here, but the notion that i'm willing to dedicate large amounts of my time not to mention making it impossible for me to grow (hard to be low profile when you are producing a software/hardware package where the majority of consumers are growing illegal plants) and not expect some kind of monentary compensation is a foolish one.

I'd argue that the VAST majority of growers couldnt figure out how to make Mr.House work in the way we need, but with a pretty GUI and plug and play hardware anyone can.

:nono: People like you are the reason Microsoft still exists.

And btw.. if you plan on taking others' ideas and selling your product that was derived from them..

Well.. if you every actually get that far.. :muahaha:

Anywho, when your whack software is released, I'll be sure to reengineer it and make it open-source, like it should stay.. so you might just want to stop being a :beat-dead .

Capitalize on your own ideas, and ingenuity. :spank:

Last edited:

asher1er

Veteran
BlindDate said:
I use this one:
Works like a charm.
www.all4hydroponics.com

i see that unit you need to select if you want it to adjust up or down you usually keep it on ph down but what happens if it need to up? it wont do it till you flip the switch?

also do you know how long it waits for a new reading before making more adjustments? when i put ph down in my system it takes a few minutes for me to get a clear reading(20 bucket dwc recirc system)?

G

Godless

sneakyninja said:
I'd argue that the VAST majority of growers couldnt figure out how to make Mr.House work in the way we need, but with a pretty GUI and plug and play hardware anyone can.

You would be correct and if you come out with a real product with real support, I expect that there would be a reasonable market for it.

As for the criticism leveled against a business plan like this, as long as he includes the MisterHouse source code, he is free to create a closed source front end and distribute them together for fee. I'd recommend a read of the commercial open source applications article on wikipedia.

At the end of the day, this is the essence of capitalism at its best - find a need, fill it and profit. Sure you could look at his price and say: "I could take MisterHouse and adapt it to growing for free" - and that is OK. But ripping him for doing all of the legwork to turn a toolkit into a commercial product isn't right.

Now if he violates the Open Source license agreement, then all bets are off and you may flame at will...

E

EatShitake

Yeah, there's a difference between sharing code and asking somebody to pay you for your blood, sweat, and tears:D