What's new

Growroom disaster - everything seeded from hermie!

Herman is a fag

Herman is a fag

So yesterday I found herms at day 9 of 12/12...nycd f3 from breeders choice (samnies seeds). I popped the seeds in nov, presexed in vegg and tossed the males. When the girls made balls at day 9, they weren't dumping any pollen yet.

Mainly this fucked up my "puzzle" of perpetual vert...I was making tetris! I'm disappointed about the whole waste of time and space, plus the strain sounded tasty...I bought the pack in 2008/9 for $40 btw

Hell with hate, bring on the sour homies!

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
Have to partly agree with Fish. Partly. I doubt seriously light leaks would cause hermies. What would be the basis? Stress? What stress? A light leak isnt going to stress out a plant. LOL And clones ARE clones. I grew a mother GDP, cloned off her and cloned those clones after that. Apprx a year worth of cuts within the same plant and never had a problem. If you take cuts from a female clone, there is no way a male or hermie can all of a sudden pop up. Genetics are still genetics! It just isnt possible unless a male or a "possible" hermie from a different strain is introduced somewhere along the line...On a side note, I do know, as others will likely agree, feminized seeds greatly enhance the chances of hermies. I stopped buying them years ago. It's more of a seed bank marketing ploy more than it is an exact science...IMO CC

Mia

thats good to know humble fish.....thats basically what happened.

what about plants on 24 hour veg...im reading that mothers under 24 hours of light are prone to hermie..

i got about 50 plants that have been in 24 hour veg that i will be flowering shortly...i guess that will really tell me whats the deal. if they hermie then i know my culprit...

the new wave was obviously stressed out by that....hoping that it is contained to them.

the good news is that i have an LVPK that i mislabeled and threw into the same roomand it has ZERO nanners....so somehow the LVPK wasnt afffected by the light leak even though she was directly next to newwave in the jeopardized mother tent..

In general it's best to give them a dark period Prop as the plants are doing certain things in the dark cycle. There's some studies out there talking about it. Plus it saves you money.
That being said I've had everything in my veg tent(including mothers) on 24 for about a month now. I usually do 18/6(except clones) going to switch them back pretty soon, just been lazy. I'm not worried in the least.
So my point is that 24 shouldn't be the culprit.
If it is somehow toss those genetics.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I can't speak to cuts randomly tweaking out and dumping dude dust all over the room, fortunately but I do know that 24/0 veg light is not the ideal. They need a dark period and in the absence of one they'll decide on their own sometime during lights-on to take a break anyway. It's a waste of electricity but I don't know that it can stress a plant to the point it starts producing pollen.

opt1c

Veteran
just another factor in finding a keeper strain... longer you do it the more respect you have for the clone only females that just keep crushing year after year... la con; lvpk; frostitute are all super solid when it comes to never throwing nanners

sucks dude. Just shitty genetics. Strong genetics can handle plenty of stress with little to no problems. Toss that cut and move on. Good luck.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea LVPK is a soldier for sure...same tray same room and zero nanners...and it seems she didnt even pick up that many seeds from the new wave either.....its like the pollen bounced off her lol...

Z

zooty

If this is the 4th time this has happened to you you should be more vigilant. I can spot a herm from a mile off.

sprinkl

Veteran
If this is the 4th time this has happened to you you should be more vigilant. I can spot a herm from a mile off.

How? Only telltale sign to me is banana's. I've had plants produce seeds(not much) without me seeing any nanners. I figure sometimes they can be inside budsites?