What's new

Growing past the lightsource

mdgot2k

Hi everyone and all!

Don't know if this is a problem or not, but 2 out of my 12 lovelys have grown a couple of inches past the lightsource.

Got two strains going atm with heights from 2 feet to 6 feet, with average around 3-4 feet.

So the question is, will the fact that the top(s) of my two big ones have grown past the lightsource be a problem and effect the yeild? Should I raise the light?

Growspace is 8x8 feet and the plants are under dual cooltubed 600s.

Cheers!

/MdGot

G

Tie them down otherwise after a couple of weeks being above the light source you may see the plant try to kill off those parts to put hte nutrients to better use in parts of the plant getting good light.

mdgot2k

Got some pics

Got some pics

Not the best quality, took them with my cellphone.. couldn't find my camera... I wonder where it is...

Anyway... they're in the 4th week of flowering and I've just started adding the co2.

mdgot2k

tokinafaty420 said:
Tie them down otherwise after a couple of weeks being above the light source you may see the plant try to kill off those parts to put hte nutrients to better use in parts of the plant getting good light.

Wow now THAT's what I call a fast reply...

Well see.. the problem is that the stem is really strong and it's really tight for space in the growroom... so I'm not quite sure how I would go about tieing them down..

Any suggestions?

Thanks for fast reply! :)

mmm420socal

mdgot2k said:
Wow now THAT's what I call a fast reply...

Well see.. the problem is that the stem is really strong and it's really tight for space in the growroom... so I'm not quite sure how I would go about tieing them down..

Any suggestions?

Thanks for fast reply! :)
Tie a bread tie around the top, BELOW a growing node. Tie a string from this, over to a stake in the soil or a hole in the pot rim, etc (figure out where to tie the string accordingly)

Lightly bend the top over as much as you can at first. Leave it alone for a couple days then pull it over some more....You should be able to flex the whole plant over if you start near the very top first...

Good luck, and good job :headbange :rasta:

M

mdgot2k

mmm420socal said:
Tie a bread tie around the top, BELOW a growing node. Tie a string from this, over to a stake in the soil or a hole in the pot rim, etc (figure out where to tie the string accordingly)

Lightly bend the top over as much as you can at first. Leave it alone for a couple days then pull it over some more....You should be able to flex the whole plant over if you start near the very top first...

Good luck, and good job :headbange :rasta:

M

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a bread tie? :redface:

Thanks for the tip I'll try it as soon as I figure out what a bread tie is... :-$

And thanks! :-D

As soon as I find that damned camera I'll post some better pics... :)

/MdGot

G

Hey md - the option I would use is supercropping. It's easy, requires no tying down and also doesnt require you to cut anything.

About 3-4 inches down that tall branch just pinch the stem in between your fingers... Now start to twist it back and forth. Small twists to start and then increase the pressure until you feel it breaking loose a bit. Once you feel it 'crack' let go and the branch should just kinda fall over.

As long as you did not break the stem in half (takes a lot of bending for that to occur) the branch will fall and begin to grow horizontally instead of vertically.... the tip should turn back up to face the light within a few hours (let's you know all is ok) and that's it!

I do this on all the branches that grow higher than the canopy. This way I can keep the light where it is and still allow those taller branches to get all the sunshine they need.

G

youi can do just about anything you want to a stalk short of removing it and it will heal and be ok

Last edited:

bobblehead

Veteran
yeah, i've accidentally split stalks right down the middle, and the plant does just fine. They're crazy vigorous.

mdgot2k

Klutter said:
Hey md - the option I would use is supercropping. It's easy, requires no tying down and also doesnt require you to cut anything.

About 3-4 inches down that tall branch just pinch the stem in between your fingers... Now start to twist it back and forth. Small twists to start and then increase the pressure until you feel it breaking loose a bit. Once you feel it 'crack' let go and the branch should just kinda fall over.

As long as you did not break the stem in half (takes a lot of bending for that to occur) the branch will fall and begin to grow horizontally instead of vertically.... the tip should turn back up to face the light within a few hours (let's you know all is ok) and that's it!

I do this on all the branches that grow higher than the canopy. This way I can keep the light where it is and still allow those taller branches to get all the sunshine they need.

Wow, never heard of supercropping before...

But is it safe? Don't like hurting them... how will it affect the yield?

Is it better to tie it down?

Thanks!

/MdGot

G

stem crushing slows flowering a little but for sure makes the buds bigger and slows vertical growth

mdgot2k

brainthor said:
stem crushing slows flowering a little but for sure makes the buds bigger and slows vertical growth

So by supercropping I can expect att bigger yield? Both in weight and potency or do you sacrifice potency for weight by supercropping?

/MdGot

mdgot2k

New pics

New pics

Allright!

Finally found the camera, so here comes some new pics.

I got 12 girls going under 2x600w HPS (too crowded?)

It's a autopot system with aircages and a air-bubbler in the tank.

Got a Co2 system with a circulating fan.

I have a question, might as well ask here... :)

What's the ideal temp (and perhaps RH) when using co2?

Right now its about 95degrees F and about 60% RH.

What do you think?

Any and all comments and criticism is more than welcome!

Thanks!

/MdGot

Last edited:
G

you get more weight...the potency is the same
mdgot2k said:
So by supercropping I can expect att bigger yield? Both in weight and potency or do you sacrifice potency for weight by supercropping?

/MdGot

mdgot2k

So it's flowerweek number 5, and I get the feeling nothing is happening.

I can't see the usual day-to-day changes, it's seems that everything has stopped.

They look healthy, feel healthy and smell healthy, but progress is slow or none at all.

What could be wrong and what can I do?

Thanks!

/MdGot

mdgot2k

brainthor said:
you be patient is what you do...35 days long way to go

Being patient isn't my strongest trait...

But true, the two strains I'm growing right now are 11 weekers.

Previous ones have been 8 weekers.

Can't wait! :D

Thanks!

/MdGot

mdgot2k

ItsGrowTime said:
No burning? At 95* I would think your tops would be crispy?

Hmm... maybe I did the conversion wrong (live in a celsius country...)

As we speak temp is 90F och RH is in the 50's.

The lamps are cooltubed and the distance is at least 10" from the closest top... except the two that grew past the lights, but those are fixed inbetween the tubes. :D

Oh yeah, Co2 is pumping as well and I have a circ. fan.

Anyway, I'm glad you posted in my thread, I've read some of your post and you seem to know a lot.

If you have any suggestions and/or comments I'll gladly hear them! :)

Thanks!

/MdGot

G

mdgot2k said:
So it's flowerweek number 5, and I get the feeling nothing is happening.

I can't see the usual day-to-day changes, it's seems that everything has stopped.

They look healthy, feel healthy and smell healthy, but progress is slow or none at all.

What could be wrong and what can I do?

Thanks!

/MdGot

This is completely normal and actually a good sign. It is normal for a plant to really grow like crazy for the first 4-5 weeks in flowering, they stretch, etc. Then the focus of its growth will shift to growing bigger buds. This will cause the plant to look like it's stopped but in another 6-7 days you'll see the increase in bud mass over the entire plant.

One thing I noticed in your pics was the single 'taller' plant. This is the one I would super crop, bending it over the rest of the canopy. This will also allow that single branch to get the same light intensity from the top down to the point you fold it - creating larger buds for that stalk.

As far as your temps being at 90, this might be ok for now but will create problems as you continue flowering. Mainly because the plants will bulk up and begin to hold more heat due to the decrease in air flow around them. Might wanna look into working on your air cooling system to try and get this number down to at least the mid 80's if possible. Again, if you're looking for the larger harvest, the lower the air temps the better your ladies will grow :)