What's new

Growing my own: Chloemobile's Micro Cab

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
:wave: Just saw this thread and wanted to follow along. The 4x Vero 13s in my PC are working a treat, can't wait to see what you end up with.

Chloemobile

:wave: Just saw this thread and wanted to follow along. The 4x Vero 13s in my PC are working a treat, can't wait to see what you end up with.

Glad to have you along! Your PC build is sick.I think I am going to go with 3 vero 18's @700ma per. Rapid led has refurbished meanwell drivers for 11.00. So each Vero18 will each run on its own driver 42v 700ma driver. I have two drivers already just going to buy a heat sink and two chips in a month or two and see how it goes with two 18's. Incremental cost for another chip and driver is only like 23 bucks. I have some 3w deep reds that I could run in series with these chips to take up the extra voltage but I don't know if I feel like screwin with all that. My current setup is working well and while not exactly what I want my fuckits are on the rise.

Chloemobile

So I have been snipping branches off of my auto for a week or two now. I have a guilty feeling every time I do it and when I smoke it I can tell I picked it early and it's a bit disappointing but having no weed and no way to get any kinda sucks so it is what it is I guess. It's looking nice though frosty and lovely color

picture.php
picture.php

The Super Haze is coming along nice in terms of buds but it's not looking super healthy...some of the top fans are yellowing kinda early...not really sure of the culprit yet. I moved the plants a bit further from the lights to see if that's the issue.

Main cola looking :canabis:

picture.php
picture.php

Chloemobile

Harvested the auto. Next time i grow an auto I won't do it under 12/12 definitely feel like I missed a lot had great potential though and I'd like to grow the Climax Auto again.

This is the last pic of the Super Haze under the the store bought LED bulbs.

picture.php

I ordered two Vero 18 4000k and the came in today. 2 days standard mail from digikey. So it was an unexpected surprise.

They are running on 2 x 42v 700ma mean well drivers.

Ther vero 18's run a hair under 20 watts at 700ma. So 40 watts total draw at 43% efficiency. So they are around 17 par watts In a space just under a square foot (13"x11"). Running on my old Rapid LED heat sink for 3w chips that j was too lazy to scrape the thermal paste off of. That I used even though it's tapped. But the screw holes fit for the veros so I used thermal grease and screws. I have some voltage left on the drivers and I'm going to fill them up with 3 watt chips eventually. 4 630 4 660 and 1 Royal Blue. Should give the light a nice light light purple tinge.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Chloemobile

Lower nugs have been assassinated. I could harvest the whole plant at this point it's nice. Like 20% amber. I kind of like the staggaed harvest. Pick it off and dry it as I need it.

It took a month to clone in a cup of water but it's finally taking off. Some Sensi Star and White Berry seedlings on deck.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Chloemobile

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've updated. I've had two successful runs in this cab since my last post. First time in a long time I haven't changed my light setup. 2x Vero 18 @ 700ma. Here is what's cooking now!

NL x Big Bud Auto

3 gal SIP with some average soil. Would NOT reccomend the use "Black Cow" compost to anyone thinking about it.

She popped around 7/14:

picture.php

Today makes her around day 44. Supposed to take between 50-60 days from seed and it's looking pretty close to that.

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

M

Mr. Sparkle

whats the total wattage? oh 40 watts , lil low?

and give em sum water eh

Looks like they are a little low on nitrogen, and have some issues and need abit of water.

But that's more than enough light for that space , 5000-8000 lumens per sqft depending on the bin of the chip, Should be fine for some nice yields.

Sure the odd issue should be worked out and maybe a fresh coat of some flat pure white paint, but nothing that can't be done easily.

Chloemobile i'll be watching for the next update :tiphat:

Chloemobile

Looks like they are a little low on nitrogen, and have some issues and need abit of water.

But that's more than enough light for that space , 5000-8000 lumens per sqft depending on the bin of the chip, Should be fine for some nice yields.

Sure the odd issue should be worked out and maybe a fresh coat of some flat pure white paint, but nothing that can't be done easily.

Chloemobile i'll be watching for the next update :tiphat:

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at the grow and offer some feedback HuffnPufferfish and Mr. Sparkle!

the amount of light i have is good but i didn't determine this from the lumens. I found this formula on the inter webs a while back when doing copious amounts of LED research. I think i got it from Supra on another forum but Supra = LED god for those unaware.

1000 (dissipation W) * .36 (HPS efficiency average over 12-18 mnths) = 360 PAR W
Apply 20% reflector losses (288 PAR W) and 10% glass losses (260 PAR W)
260 PAR W/16 ft² = 16.2 PAR W/ft²
16.2 * 10.7 (ft² in 1 m²) = 173 PAR W/m²
173 * 4.98 (umol/PAR W for HPS) = 863 PPFD

I plugged in all of the info for my chips at one point and found that i was around 17 PAR W/ft². So for lighting im at roughly the equivalent of a 1000W HPS in a 4x4 area.

You use PAR Watts instead of lumens to gauge the efficacy of LED's since the light they give off is of better quality and more efficient then say an HPS or CFL. PPFD is the real measure you want to go after but once you get the PAR W per square foot its just a conversion to get the PPFD. But the reality is that lumens also end up correlating back to the amount of PAR W you have so lumens is a good rough measuring stick(dont say this to the huge LED nerds =P) but not the proper way to measure the efficacy of LED output for a given area. The spread is also equally as important since the LED is a directional light source.

I read it all and understood it at one point but new stuff has pushed old stuff out :) It was also tedious and unnecessarily detailed but I was trying to figure between 2 or 3 chips. 2 chips has worked fantastically and i have 4 total runs under this array now in this space and am very satisfied

As to the health of the plant you are right she is a haggard bitch right now!

I was reallllly lazy about my soil this time...its Some sunshine mix, Dr.Earth Bud and Bloom, Bio tone and some Black Cow and Mushroom compost. I totally skipped the EWC and my plant has had issues from the get go since. I was really more interested in testing out my SIP design to see if i liked it. Sometimes I have to go out of town for a week or so so I am trying to find a solution that doesn't include an extra/external reservoir, timers or pumps to help for pro-longed periods away from home. Blu mats are still on my mind but rez dump stories scare me...cant really plan around it in my space.

The rez in my Sip is about 40 oz and she is drinking it up fast right now.

I generally alternate between Organic Soil and Maxi-bloom Hempy buckets because i enjoy growing both ways(because the K.I.S.S Maxi bloom Hempys are just so easy...no PH meter just one scoop in a galon of tap water and im done). This ugly plant is just a product of being lazy about the soil...no teas or anything etc. maybe next soil run =P

It is quite big for only being 6ish weeks from seed though! Im expecting at least 28 grams on the low end and 42 on the high end.

Chloemobile

High Friends :)

About a week to go from the full chop. Ive been on an incremental harvest schedule for the past 2 weeks. Ive been thinning out fan leaves as well as nugs :smoker: to get the lowers some more light.

picture.php

Here is the most recent incremental harvest:

picture.php

I've got some clones cooking that will hopefully be ready by the time i cull the rest.

I've been searching for an automated-ish watering solution and I think i found how I'm going to go about it. I have read many successful bottom feeding journal's...most recently Mr.Sparkles using my preferred nutrient of maxi-bloom. Also many examples can be found in this thread here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=209848

But the real trick for me was always how do I automate the watering when I am away or feeling lazy...pumps and timers...tried it didnt like it for my micro setup...blumats still have yet to try it...but i think i can accomplish the same thing but simpler with basic hydro-static pressure. This is just a variation of your typical automatic dog watering container.

A 13 x 10 aluminum pan fits perfectly in my cab...so what I am going to do is just get some of the 1/8" black tubing that you get from homedepot in the little patio watering section. fasten it in an adjustable manor to the inside of the pan at my desired water level..run the tube up to a beverage dispenser like the one below and use silicon or something to seal the tubing to the mouth of the dispenser. Maybe add a on/off valve in the middle for changing out containers or something. but the dispenser it self also acts like a valve too. I also added a hole with a tube a bit higher up on my pan in case i want to flush/drain the pan kind of like a big hempy bucket.

41XaM%2B1QsQL.jpg

In the pan i hope to do a perpetual sog in 1 or 2 liter bottles of perlite/verm... either way i can fit 6

as the plants drink and the water level falls, more water gets added hydro-statically.