What's new

Growing just for oil/hash

I tried it once when I had to leave town and harvest 2 weeks early it was a mixed strain run. the BHO turned out very wax in a bad way and tasted kinda crude. I ran the rest into quick iso and that turned out a little better but the yield just wasn't there made a nice potent batch of brownies but I don't care to smoke iso, but I gave it a sample. wasn't bad imo.

But long story short not recommended in my book.

If you take the time to flower it why cut yourself short?

Stoop i have a strain that runs 50 days.You could chop it at day 40 and still have something.But the final weeks are when magic happens.

I wasn't trying to be a dick but a quick search says that 1-2 weeks early or when trichs are a mix of clear and cloudy.When taken at this stage they produce more THCA.The product after a vacumn purge comes out like the desired "shatter".

you can run mom's that have never been flowered before, you will get oil, not much, and it wont taste good, but it will get you high...

if i run out of weed before my next run there was a time when i would pick early and quick dry, now i just pick early, stuff it in a tube, and run it for bho fresh and moist...

im not a big fan of bho, but fresh weed off the plant makes the best oils, and id rather smoke the best bho vs 6 week old buds quick dried in a dehydrator...it's much much more satisfying...i have done it from 5 weeks into budding up untill harvest at 9-10 weeks, im sure the 9-10 week stuff is more potent but id be hard pressed to confirm it at this point, to be honest it all seems about the same potency to me, you just get a lot more of it when it's more ripe...

just because strains get a little frosty at week 3...well thats nothing compared to week 10, anybody that has actually grown a plant should know that, you have infinitely more active terps and resins at harvest than you do at weeks 2-4...there would be absolutely no benefit to harvesting that early just for oil, and in the new legal market people aren't gonna pay top prices for lower grade oils made from premature buds which lack flavor and body anyway, it's time to step up your game for the new order, not to continue trying to find new ways to exploit it's illigal status for more profits...

if yer in a bind and want to get high picking early and running for oil works great, but i wouldn't recommend it unless you really feel it's necessary, just like with picking buds early, you will get much more if you just wait till it's all ripe...

Hash Man

But not too ripe. Depending on your definition of oil... I have to have a wax or shatter to be happy, so i dont ripen to amber... The thca is the milky white substance in the trichome and when its amber you wont get a structure to your oil.

Just to reiterate, this is strictly for my own consumption. This has absolutely nothing to do with profits or exploiting anyone.

But thank you, general consensus seems to be that running plants to early maturity is worth the while vs harvesting at an earlier time in favor of faster turnover.

Jnugg

Veteran
If it's for your own consumption then why do you want to use premature buds to get such a quick turnaround?

EllieGrows

Veteran
I wouldnt bother stopping plants early, you wanna just change your method to grow a different shape flowers. Also you wanna select cultivars by a different standard. I didnt read the whole thread to know what your methods are but for example you could try hanging your light at 8-10 feet and getting a 7X7 or 8X8 foot print. If its all getting shoved in a tube who cares if the nugs are all small.

ghostmade

Veteran
if your gonna pull down premies.please for the love of God,decarb then pop a oil pill,or medibals.cuz your gonna wanna make them 2 g's last.lol

ghostmade

Veteran
not a literal figure man.lol just saying,your not just missing out,on the flavors.but also your plant ability to produce its broad range of cannabinoids;also the AMOUNT of this oil.bottom line full maturity (i.e. 100%milky trichomes) and thats on a plant by plant basis.as is pretty much everything.good luck.,GM

p.s. Patience is key the key

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"not as good" is not a quantifiable trait to me. I don't dab, this shit all goes in my ecig that destroys all flavor anyways. You think early harvested hash doesn't get you high?

If I can harvest 2 or 3 weeks early and only lose 10% of yield while cutting 25-30% of the time required to flower that sounds like a win to me.

Hi , its been a long time for me to get on this board !

There's no real win in this game , especially when it comes down to harvesting early/unripe ! Yes you get some spare time and a real loss in potency ... , we are talking 'bout herb which was grown for hash only as most , if not all plants for hash are harvested at the end of their harvest window , as hash heads want over ripe glands !

If you dont want to hear this , than harvest a single one unripe and let the others get to their full potential and compare the effects ! Even unseasoned smokers will get enlighted on this subject .

Thanks a lot and have a nice day !

Fj

PS: This is about the earliest for harvesting a plant which will go to the sieve when its bone dry ... hear me .... BONE DRY !
picture.php

B

beakermuppet

I could be wrong here..........But wouldn't smoking oil from very premature bud be kinda like............smoking premature bud? It should all depend on how mature the glands are i would think? Same thing if you were to make hash out of premature glands.........The buzz would be very weak because the glands weren't mature?

I would also say the yeild would be smaller...........Last couple weeks of flower is a pretty productive time in a plants life for trichome production......I think?

So, In conclusion........If you were to harvest a 10 week flowering plant at say....5 weeks. The glands would be very premature.....would be clear still......which would mean a very weak buzz. The yeild would also suffer because while some plants put out a good amount of trich's by this time, it still pales in comparison to the amount that would be produced if one were to wait the full 10 weeks.

The reason I think nobody has tried it is because it doesn't make any sense........we all know that premature weed has a weak buzz.....So why would the oil be any different? The trich's aren't mature.........I dunno man, seems like common sense to me.

Might not get much flavour in the oil either.........Probably taste like chlorophyll............Just like Premature buds taste.........Could be wrong...........Takes a bit of time for those terpenes to develop.

Goodluck

Try and experiment though..........it's always fun to experiment!!

Kinda surprised that their's 3 pages of reply's to this

blastfrompast

Veteran
Buddy blasted with some OD he cut 2 weeks early last fall....short lived high....kinda made his heart race....yield sucked....smoking the flowers was even worse...1/2 hour buzz tops..

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Easy enough to find out for yourself. Chop one branch from your plant at 2-3 weeks or whatever you had in mind and then let the rest of the plant fully mature. Compare the quality and quantity (ratio). I think you'll see very easily.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
its not worth it..well it wasn't for me.. I had a strain called critical hash a critical mass cross....I took it early once and only once...I suggest some testing of your own...find the balance between potency and harvest time...good luck

I have experience with this. I've accidentally killed off a couple crops 5-6 weeks in to flower and turned them all into BHO.

The product isn't as good and you don't get nearly as much. It's sellable but nothing to be proud of. The trichs swell as time goes on.

People who grow stuff specifically for extract still let the plants go the full length to allow the terpenoids and other CBx compounds to develop and mature. Then they vacuum purge the finished product to keep all the extra goodies in there.

Jnugg

Veteran
I have experience with this. I've accidentally killed off a couple crops 5-6 weeks in to flower and turned them all into BHO.

The product isn't as good and you don't get nearly as much. It's sellable but nothing to be proud of. The trichs swell as time goes on.

People who grow stuff specifically for extract still let the plants go the full length to allow the terpenoids and other CBx compounds to develop and mature. Then they vacuum purge the finished product to keep all the extra goodies in there.

Actually,they vac purge to remive as much,if not all,residual solvent.