What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Growing in the Desert "First time outdoor grow with Photoperiod plants i need help

Riviera123

Greetings,
I live in the hot desert and tried a outdoor grow for first time.
Now i am little stumped on what triggers the flowering stage . i have some in living soil and some in coco on drip.
I started in January indoors with coco on a 18/6 light schedule then transplanted to soil bed in Feb They took off like rockets . Some were a coco to coco transplant and placed outdoors on drip system .
Now they are all flowering
Will the photos re veg if the days get longer ?
What am i doing wrong ?
Is the daylight too short and i planted too early in year.?

JanKowalski

They will reveg if days get longer.
Once i did a similar move, moving from indoor ( 18/6 ) to outdoor, was March probably. Too early in the season.
Has not been smart, shorter days triggered flowering. Longest, triggered reveg. Again shorter, again flowering.
Results, stressed plant and not great yield.
Now i learnt on my skin, and i move them outside only if there is a right amount of light .

Riviera123

Yes I see the light a little now lol
Meanwhile I guess the smaller plants will be ok to settle for they are a couple feet high and only starting to flower . .So basically for a outdoor grow there needs to be no more than 12 hours of day light to flower thru to harvest . Can I cover them somehow ?

JanKowalski

It's strain dependent, i guess. Some indicas leaning could also flower with 13/14 hours, with sativas you need 12 or less. You can cover them of course, it's called light deprivation.

stiff

Veteran
You could have extended the daylight hours to avoid early flowering plants. You don't even need much light for that.
If you can install a few small lights near your plants and give them 2 hours extra in the morning and evening it usually does the trick.
Veg lights like for cuttings and seedlings should be enough

Riviera123

Thanks for the advice and I should have researched all this before I started.
Personally I think autos are a better idea outside in my warm area climate.
Running extra light seems to be quite a hassle as well as covering them up every night which I don't even think I could keep up with everyday for 2 months . I grow indoors as well so I'm not going to run out. The guy at the hydro shop is said that it really doesn't work that easily here . He told me to get them really big indoors a and then set them outside around Halloween day . I have not given up I will proceed and post some pictures as they get along.

Riviera123

Wow that's interesting, ty . I did try a blanket over them then it started to rain and the blanket got soaked and it
Started to sag, tomorrow I will try to cover them with some black garbage bags .

Riviera123

Ok I got the black bags at home Depot , they are the heavy duty construction ones. I can not see thru when u hold it up to light. I think the heavy duty bag will hold up for awhile .

BrassNwood

Veteran
Planted early like in December, then we had lots of rain . all 5 Marley grins were in soil

Just leave the plants alone and they'll finish about June 1st. You'll have to take them then no matter what as summer will be here.

Start fresh Photoperiod plants now. May 1st is the ideal date as seedlings are not light aware for the first 30 days and by then the days are long enough to hold cannabis in veg.

For most of the northern hemisphere only June and July have long enough days to veg in. If you are in a freeze free zone you can grow year-round with a little effort and planning.

August 1st = Take clones
Oct 15th = Harvest, set out fresh plants, take clones
Jan 1st = Same
March 15th = Same
June 1st = Harvest, set out plants for summer.

I've run this for many years. Depending on mid-summer desert temps you may find you do better skipping the blast furnace heat as my friend who grows in Joshua Tree Ca. found out. He runs the 3 off season sets and doesn't try and keep plants through the worst of the heat. He grows on a deck and the reflected heat is just too much.

PXL_20240315_022306220.jpg

I've got plants in veg under lights and just 30 feet away are the plants in flower.

Energy Turtle

Knowing the critical night length of what you are growing and the day length of your location by month helps.

I know that where I live I have until May 18th when most indica hybrids start to revert to veg.

Here is some Purple Urkle I planted February 28th.

IMG_20240424_151814212.jpg