What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing in smart Pots

Josh C.

I am not new to growing, but have a couple questions. I have always grown and harvested plants in the ground. In nice big holes filled with roughly about 12 cubic feet of soil. or 3~4 of those 4 cubic foot bails of whatever brand i am using that year.

Now my planta have always finished nice and big.
i have moved to our new forever home. i have clones i have been taking care of under lights and getting bigger for about little over a month and a half now. have dropped lightighing sschedule down already over time and i am ready to put into my garden.
My question is could i grow my plants out in 50 gallon smart pots all the way through harvest without getting rootbound? is 50 big enough and enough soil ?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank You

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I grow in coco in air pots. Smart I think is term for cloth bags. Both air prune the roots when they hit edge to prevent circling and choking the roots. With coco I finish in 3 gallon pots but need to feed everyday. Hopefully a soil grower will respond.

Mattbho

i grow in 30gal smartpots 3/4 way full . can do 4 in a 4x4 but its tight. but even when i do veg out a monster and do 1 plant in 4x4. i've not been close to rootbound lots of feeder roots come to the top if you keep top dressing/ cover crops/keep the soil covered and it will last forever

Mattbho

but unless you have 12 ft ceilings and multiple sources of light dont expect your indoor to grow like they do under the sun . you will be dissapointed every time

Josh C.

i will take pics tomorrow and post. I have 9, Have been growing under a 1000 watt lcd for the last month. at first 24 hour light, then slowly over last couple weeks have been dropping the light . And have been taking them outdoors and they stay out in full sun all day until i put them to bed at night and put them back in my garage under light again. They have been growing in 1 gallon smart pots, and today started tranplanting them into 3 gallon. They are all pretty tight and full of roots. kinda almost rootbound but i started tranplanting today because some leaves are starting to turn yellow. I am going to be growing them out until harves time all outdoors, not in under the light. I just have had them under the light to acclimate them and get some size on them before starting them outdoor .

So will 50 gallon smart pots be big enough to go the whole season and finish them out?
Thanks again

Josh C.

but unless you have 12 ft ceilings and multiple sources of light dont expect your indoor to grow like they do under the sun . you will be dissapointed every time
I only have them under light right now getting them ready to go out full time into outdoor. i Think i will be putting them out tomorrow and keeping them outdoor, no more light. They are ready

Josh C.

Hi, Can you show the plants? what pot capacity do you have now?
I dont have pics right now, but will try tomorrow.
They have been growing in 1 gallon smart pots for about a month now, all about 2 foot to 3 foot tall and bushy . ready to start my out door season.

wild cat

I dare say that the weed has two phenotypes that are activated by the change of light from artificial to natural. Which causes genetic mutation.

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

50 gallons will get you a huge plant, but maybe not maximum size. I've seen up to 3lbs out of a 45 gallon container & plants over 12' tall, but bigger ones in bigger containers and in large beds of nice soil.