What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing from seeds

TexasToker

Usually it's a size issue TexasToker... To get the same size plant, you start a sativa at 12/12 and let an indica veg for a while.

Ahh, I understand what he was saying now. Yes, that does make sense...I never thought about it like that since I have no set schedules or height limits...only wattage.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Weird. I grow 12/12 from seed usually, and sativas always mature slower. Wouldn't that translate into them 'needing' more veg time since an indica will be mature and in full blown flower sooner than a sativa?

The sativa certainly takes more time to grow to maturity. I think what we're really talking about is, what the grower "needs."

Sativas take 20 weeks to mature, Indicas 8. Generally speaking, 20 weeks of growth will be bigger than 8 weeks of growth. The indica "needs" more veg time to compete in terms of yield volume.

Sativa-No Veg ...... Indica-1 Month Veg+Two Weeks Flower

Admittedly, the above is hardly a scientific comparison. I rarely grow indicas and have no photo of it at harvest but consider the following. The indica, while it produced nice fat buds, barely increased it's footprint between the shot and harvest time. The sativa represents about 1/2 of potential production because the double steel wall construction of my freezer said there was no more room. In this sloppy comparison a 30 day veg indica produced maybe 1/4 the production of a 0 day veg sativa.

Alittle off topic, but when starting w/seeds I also 12/12 to start (and also follow other tips for higher females) under coolwhites.
But then I'll put under 18/6 in veg room using a HID "super blue" which has some red spec. And that is enough for plants to quickly show preflowers w/out much stress. And the move adds hours keeping plants from continue/completely flowering. Prob hard to believe but I get like 75-80% female rates using these techniques.

Freezerboy what do you mean when saying increased its footprint?

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Footprint would be area or, the bird's eye view. Length and width but not height. The footprint of my ScrOG screen is 22"x29". The sativa filled that footprint about halfway through it's all 12/12 grow. As a result, I was tossing out growing shoots hand over fist. After a month of veg, the indica used maybe 1/4 the footprint, leaving space for 3-5 more plants.

Avid Fan

Footprint would be area or, the bird's eye view. Length and width but not height. The footprint of my ScrOG screen is 22"x29". The sativa filled that footprint about halfway through it's all 12/12 grow. As a result, I was tossing out growing shoots hand over fist. After a month of veg, the indica used maybe 1/4 the footprint, leaving space for 3-5 more plants.

i was thinking of using sativa for a scrog similar in size to yours.
would i only need one plant with no veg?

FB whats the best all around strain youve ran for scrog? I think the future grow scene(medical marijuana, plant limits) will make scrog the most used setup. I have run 1 scrog w/c99 w/good results, love to hear your experience w/strains using that tech? I am in the middle of crossing some fav indica's(wht russian,spg, and the Hog) to get a great mix of sativa/indica high. Im hoping c99's influence will help make light reach lower parts of plants and an over all larger outdoor plants

FreezerBoy

Veteran
i was thinking of using sativa for a scrog similar in size to yours.
would i only need one plant with no veg?

First let me correct myself. The sativa shown is 17 weeks, it was it's clones that ran 20+.

That said, none of them ever stopped stretching out. All you can do is grit your teeth, steel your heart and keep tossing out growth, telling yourself it's for the best.

At 14 weeks or less, some veg time may be advisable.

FB whats the best all around strain youve ran for scrog?

What do you feel is the best strain for smoking? In cabs of limited vertical space, any plant will benefit from canopy control.

FB prob depends on time of day or if its for my meds but I do like a indica/sativa mix and the white rhino x c99 cross I have is prob my fav all around high.

You can go 12/12 from seed but you will lose yield.

I've heard people suggest waiting 60 days before flowering something from seed, but I've never put that to the test.

I've always been told the general rule is that it takes 21 days for a plant to fully show sex.

This is a great post. I have been growing some Indica/Sativa Hybrids and am near 8 weeks now. Only just recently have the branching begun to show maturity while some still aren't. I've decided to Veg an extra 7 weeks almost - to ensure I've no over heat, pest or humidity problems. Also I'll get more yield.

Wow I'm at like 60 days with tons of branching and stuff but can't see sex. Easy to check my album *I'll post a link - maybe you can tell me what I have*:laughing:

Peace