What's new

Growing from seed outside

anent

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked but i couldn't find anything on it.
I'm planning to grow some autoflowers outside when the weather allows me, but unfortunately i can't really start them off inside and let them grow a bit before planting them outside. If i would i'd have to put them in weird spots with very little light.

Can i realistically start it off outside? Or should i just let it be a bit stunted in the start?

Also are there any general tips for low maintenance outdoor grows?

Cheers

yardgrazer

Realistically you *could* start them outdoors, but if I were going that route I'd start a lot of seeds reckoning you'll lose a fair # (moreso if you won't have the time to baby them through the first few weeks when you'll need to limit how much direct sunlight they get and keep an eye on soil moisture levels). Do you not have any good options for starting indoors? If it's the best you can do a simple CFL setup might get you through the first couple weeks indoors. You might want to look at some of the guerilla growing threads for advice on no-maintenance outdoor grows, but I don't know how well no-maintenance growing jibes with true autoflowers (depending on how you want to handle care and feeding).

St. Phatty

You will need something to keep the snails & slugs off.

Seedlings are VERY tasty.

Whatever you use to keep the critters off the grow, not good for stealth.

Better to wait until the plant can survive being nibbled on.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can plant them in 5 gallon containers and move out when soil temp is about 55F. Place them outside when folks in your area are planting/transplanting tomato plants. Similar warm schedule.

Beer or apple cider vinegar in shallow dishes ward off snails/slugs. Plants should be on South side to get maximum sun. We plant (from seed), April with the last germination around mid August to finish before freeze.

Perhaps build chicken wire domes so birds and chipmunks cants get to auto seedlings.
Good luck!

budsnblunts

Veteran
I built a very small green house in the bush and used solar lights as supplement lighting. It worked well.

Billyn

The copper rings around the stem of the plants worked very well for me. Slugs and snails hate copper, because of a reaction between their mucus and the copper... also illustrative pic

Attachments

• klkj.png
    klkj.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 32

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The copper rings around the stem of the plants worked very well for me. Slugs and snails hate copper, because of a reaction between their mucus and the copper... also illustrative pic

Great idea, although with the price of copper these days, vinegar with a few drops of dish detergent, or shallow dish of beer works fine, too.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It can be done but safer to grow them on a bit in a place where they won't get eaten by slugs, snails etc. If a leaf gets eaten on a bigger plant it is not fatal.. on a seedling it could be the end of it.

As mentioned, copper works well as a barrier to keep slugs off... but a less expensive solution is to use that rough ashfelt that sheds are roofed with. (the stuff with tiny sharp stone chips on one side that is encredibly abraisive) Slugs and snails will not cross it!

VG

40degsouth

Hi everyone, l hope you’re all well,
Anent, l found this over at the ACE site, specifically the “Auo Zameldica” thread. It was written by ULMW and answers a few of your questions,
Cheers,
Greetings! Nice effort MD and good Q's Browser.
Auto flowering as you both know are not light dependent to initiate flowering. That being said there is good reason to give the fast flowering cultivars of autoflowering strains as much light as possible during Vegetative growth and many opt for 24 hours lights on for that reason. Others prefer to save a dollar on lighting costs by running 18 hours on 6 hours dark or off.
Pot size will also play a role in the productivity of the plant and effect the end result.
After the initial Vegetative growth you will witness the plant burst into to flowering mode. Here again we can find environmental conditions, such as enough powerful light being available for the plant to produce to its ultimate levels. Consideration for how big an area the plant or plants have to grow in and into also limit the productivity. Available light plays a key part, balanced feedings and right temperatures all effect the plant as it develops. Trying a few different mediums and containers as well as which lighting choices you use or combine will also help you bond with this plant better and over time and with a few more grows of her you will know first hand what she likes and does not like. Keeping a grow record will help you know the plant, too. Cuts out all the guess work and advances you as a grower no end.
Needless to say you are in the right place asking the right questions which already tells me how much you care and appreciate these plants. Your tender loving care combined with the Excellent Breeding and Excellent Seeds from ACE will ensure you a very productive grow of this I have no doubts.Enjoy the Auto Zamaldelica, She is a majestic plant with a lot of spiritual and psychoactive abilities!!! Happy Growing! ULMW

Mr. Burgundy

I am lucky,I start outdoors. Well,after the paper towel method. Once I see a tap root I put them out. I use green manure and straw/hay as a mulch,and force the girl to grow through that. So far I have been lucky. I hope I didn't just jinx it. I do have other plants growing in the garden which may increase beneficial predators.

Stay Classy!

NeDank

About 15 years ago when I was first getting into growing and still living with non mj friendly people I started a few Guerilla Gold #2, #3, and some crosses of GG (Good for northern growers). First thing I did was go to lowes and buy bagged cow or other manures/compost. Any good compost will do well and it doesn't cost much money $1-3 per bag .If memory serves correctly I carried 25 20 pound bags into the bush and made a raised bed of sorts then and it with the compost. The next day I wet the soil really good and planted totally spouted seeds (paper towel method) and planted them in the slight raised bed made by stacking logs and branches. Which was full of rich compost. Then I put a pest screen/row cover over the top temporarily stapled in place. so the babies wouldn't get eaten by birds or any other little critter.

You'll grow more plants closer together this way alternatively you could did holes and amend with compost if you'd rather not have all your eggs in one basket. Just takes more work. I like to find 1 secure spot and plant as many plants as possible without going overboard.

When it came time to water I go out to the spot and pour a few 5 gallon buckets on the one bed and/or 1 full 5 gallon bucket of water per mixed hole. Why so much water why so much water well I'll tell you. You want the the moisture to seep down deep into the soil and be ready for big plants later in the season.

I can't seem to find the tread at the moment but hamstring makes a really cool mini greenhouse type thing that works wonders for starting seed outdoor. And it's backpackable

As a side note you may want to find a swamp to plant in for 1 people don't go in swamps and 2 you can plant in a tot with the bottom cut out so the roots can reach down into the water which means you have to visit a lot less times. Maybe 4 times throughout the grow.

Latest posts

Latest posts