What's new

Grow tent set up, 400w or 600w?

LIFER25

After a few years lay off I'm thinking about starting up again. Previous grow was done in a small grow tent with a 250w hps. Did well and was happy with the outcome. For this next grow I want to upgrade to a 400w or maybe even a 600. Here is a list of the set up below for each one, please let me know which set up would work the best. How much difference is a 400w compare to a 600 as in term of bud density? Not to concern on yield as this is all for personal use, I just want hard dense nugs. TIA

1. 3ft x 3ft x 5ft grow tent
400w hps, 4" carbon filter and fan
2 - 6" circulating fan

2. 4ft x 4ft x 6ft grow tent
600w hps, 6" carbon filter and fan
2- 6" circulating fan

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
If you want hard, dense nugs, you might consider going with the 600w inside of a 3x3 tent. It seems that with your choices, you are spreading the light out too much. Not saying it wouldn't work out to your liking, but I think you are going to achieve your goal much easier if you provide more light per sq ft.

If you go with the 600 in a 3x3 tent, you are getting 66.6w per sq ft. But if you put it in a 4x4 you are only getting 37.5w per sq ft.

I definitely recommend going with a 600 over the 400. The difference in plant growth is staggering as you step up the wattage, yet the price difference is practically nil.

captain planet

Veteran
Get a dimmable ballast , lumitek makes one that could fire a 400, 600 or 1000...... I have a 600 dmmable quantum in a 4 x 4 and I like it, but wish I had 1000 waters, even If I didn't always run them at full power :)

Jnugg

Veteran
Shit,you can get big rockhard dense buds from a 400w HPS in a 3x3 area...check my vert thread...400w HPS hung bare bulb vertical in a 3x3x6 tent,5 various bagseed plants...12oz first go...gonna monocrop next round with 5 clones from the same mom...hoping to hit 14-16 zips.