What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow room Nightmare

B

Baked Alaskan

You mentioned a gas leak. I installed a propane cooking stove in my house that was set up for natural gas. The plants in the next room started to die and I couldn't figure out why untill I set my stove up for propane and not natural gas then they came back around.

I'm sure off gassing could do it. Some fresh paints or crappy sheet rock will give off chemicals as they age.

Czech Brothers

It's not BM's. Their damage is quite different to what you are experiencing.
It really looks like offgassing. When offgassing was new, people thought
it was iron def. When I had offgassing from some N-G-W black hose,
I thought is was iron def. Same symptoms.

I think you guys are right. "Off gassing" it makes perfect sense! and it's something i would have never thought of on my own

We have them in a room with old linoleum floors and i have a hunch that those floors are off gassing under the lamps
the white things on the wall are just some painted plywood paneling. I'm very excited to get rid of this flooring and see where it ends up. i'll keep everyone posted. i think you guys are all right. i can't tell you all how grateful i am for your help and input and this forum. you guys freaking rock

:thank you::tiphat::rtfo:

J

johndoe123

What is that white board stuff covering the walls?
Good eye KCar I used those boards before on a siding job. . I do know for a fact that they are lifetime maintenance free VINYL boards.... I would not be to sure that this is not where your problem lies. Might want to try reflectix or Mylar over top of them.... When you cut them they give more of a plastic flake than a sawdust

Piel

Veteran
If it´s broad mites you should be able to see them in a microscope (0.2mm big) so do that before jumping the temps to 120F.

Why is growing 90% of the time easy and the rest is catastrofe? I mean, it´s only a weed.

My 2c´s

B

Baked Alaskan

Off gassing usually occurs with new material that are still curing. I would think old linoleum will be fairly inert, unless exposed to high heat (100º f plus).

My propane stove was only burning the lp wrong (regulator was set for natural gas) and my plants looked like yours. After I set the stove regulator to lp my plants came around within a couple days and I had no more problems.

So I imagine a gas leak would do the same. I would seriously check for a gas leak also.

Good luck

Czech Brothers

Off gassing usually occurs with new material that are still curing. I would think old linoleum will be fairly inert, unless exposed to high heat (100º f plus).

My propane stove was only burning the lp wrong (regulator was set for natural gas) and my plants looked like yours. After I set the stove regulator to lp my plants came around within a couple days and I had no more problems.

So I imagine a gas leak would do the same. I would seriously check for a gas leak also.

Good luck
thank you baked Alaska, we will definitely check for that today we ripped out all the linoleum and we have our fingers crossed that this was the issue. I think kcar had it right on the nose. I do appreciate everybody's input as the more information I have the better we can figure this out we are not willing to give up the second spot we dump way too much money into it and I think it's going to work out this time I really think the linoleum was the problem. I will definitely keep you guys updated much respect

Czech Brothers

[/QUOTE=johndoe123;6188706]Good eye KCar I used those boards before on a siding job. . I do know for a fact that they are lifetime maintenance free VINYL boards.... I would not be to sure that this is not where your problem lies. Might want to try reflectix or Mylar over top of them.... When you cut them they give more of a plastic flake than a sawdust[/QUOTE]

those boards to look like they're vinyl however they are painted by 8 sheets of plywood. not particle board not MDF but real plywood.they are definitely not off gassing

J

johndoe123

those boards to look like they're vinyl however they are painted by 8 sheets of plywood. not particle board not MDF but real plywood.they are definitely not off gassing
Thats good! One less source to worry about :) Hope ya get it all figured out!

macamus33

It could also be the plywood offgassing. The glue in most plywood can be very toxic as it is made with formaldahyde. But if the plywood is painted you should have no problem. Usually there is no problem but with HID's it could also be causing the problem of offgassing. I used to be a plywood salesman and when I would take inventory in the warehouse; would have to wear a mask and the fumes from the plywood would bring tears to your eyes. Of course this was a whole warehouse packed with the stuff from floor to ceiling. As a matter of fact manufactured homes/trailers are now required to have special plywood called LFE plywood in thier construction for this very reason.

Czech Brothers

Yesterday we were ripping out the linoleum and ill be honest, i know it's Just mental, but i feel like the plants are already doing way better. now we have to put something on the floor and put the next round of clones in. they are already to go and i pray the this round will produce
. this is taking the floor out after emptying the beds

A few test plants to make sure the issue is resolved

the beds were heavy so it was a bitch to roll the linolium off these floors

were hoping that in about 8 weeks we'll have 2 rooms like these ones . these pix were taken last night and the ladies are coming along nicely.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Off gassing or root aphids. If it's off gassing, move them to a different area, and you should see immediate improvement, even if you just have to keep them under flourescents for awhile, just to get them out of that space. If it's root aphids, you can tell by pulling a plant and inspecting the roots with a bright flashlight. Be patient and you will see them moving after awhile, if not right away. Since you are in soil, root aphids are very common.

sid75

Is the lino for sure, same thing had me guessing for months, would kill a plant within two weeks of introduction to the area. Always the little things.

no lino no problem

gmanwho

Veteran
I have linoleum in a entry hallway south facing, whenever the sun comes into the hallway an heats up. it smells like fresh adhesive. Probably 8 yr old floor..

I've had offgassing of fresh paint look like your further damaged fan leaves. It Tricks you an mimics Potassium def.

Hope the floor removal solves your problems!!!

b-safe

Czech Brothers

I have linoleum in a entry hallway south facing, whenever the sun comes into the hallway an heats up. it smells like fresh adhesive. Probably 8 yr old floor..

I've had offgassing of fresh paint look like your further damaged fan leaves. It Tricks you an mimics Potassium def.

Hope the floor removal solves your problems!!!

b-safe

we put a new round in yesterday, so we should know in a few short weeks. I've got my fingers crossed.
thanks everyone for your help with this. I'll keep you updated
:tiphat:

farmari

Is offgassing only a problem with sealed rooms without carbon filters? You'd think the VOCs in a sealed room would be over 100x higher than a ventilated room. Even just having a carbon filter... I thought carbon filters removed VOCs?

doneit

Veteran
Have you checked your roots?
Could be a fungal problem, if roots are shitty and you dont have critters you most likely have a disease

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
what kind of paint is known to off gas? i have to paint my room soon and not sure what to use, also want to use a spray gun too not rollers.

czech have you had root aphids before? i had plants go yellow and stunt like that and found out it was the damn root aphids.