What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow room has carpet - require advice and feedback on my solution plz

HazePhase

Alright.. here is what I am thinking and feedback please.
Forget about the tarp idea as I am assuming I would have to staple it to the wall which won't go over well.

Also I will just be extra careful on the carpet.
Now just curious but what happens about the dust and crap that holds in carpets with my vents on the ground... would this be another good reason to cover it.

HazePhase

Yeah I have a carbon filter but my vents are right by the ground where it's going to pull the air into .. it's going to take in dust for sure...
Hmm... wondering if I should maybe just cover the damn thing and be done with it... pay another 130 bucks and be safe.

Granger2

Veteran
Forget "being really careful." You're human. Plan for worst case. I have 12 year old pond liner. Never had a problem. Good luck. -granger

HazePhase

Forget "being really careful." You're human. Plan for worst case. I have 12 year old pond liner. Never had a problem. Good luck. -granger

I just bought a 14x14 pvc pond liner ok clearance :) $89.99.
Wish I didn't set up my 5x5 tent - might vacuum quick where I can and then slide it under the tent and up the wall.

Trich_Tyson

Go pond liner. You are in the same sitch as me. All carpet room. Running 2 flower and one veg tent. Door opens in. Bought a 12x15 pond liner on amazon for like 90 bucks. Pushed t against 3 walls then rolled it up to make an edge around where door opens. The dude on page one has the right idea. Throw some 2x4 under or something.
I've thanked myself for it a few times already.

Just do it.

Edit: just saw that you scooped one. Good move. Let it air out. They stink. You'll be able to slide it under the tent. Just a bit of a pain

HazePhase

Go pond liner. You are in the same sitch as me. All carpet room. Running 2 flower and one veg tent. Door opens in. Bought a 12x15 pond liner on amazon for like 90 bucks. Pushed t against 3 walls then rolled it up to make an edge around where door opens. The dude on page one has the right idea. Throw some 2x4 under or something.
I've thanked myself for it a few times already.

Just do it.

Edit: just saw that you scooped one. Good move. Let it air out. They stink. You'll be able to slide it under the tent. Just a bit of a pain

Haha will do.
Do you have boards under yours.
I might do that after this grow if I find I need it but should be fine - if not will take it all down and redo it.

Thx for post man!
I feel better. :woohoo:

Trich_Tyson

No boards.. i just roll it up and pull it tight every time i take out the rez - weekly.

I ran my water level down below my circulating pump and caused a geyser in the corner. Patted myself on the back for the purchase.. and then slapped my self for the mistake.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
My grow room is carpet and I don't use anything. The bottom of the tent has a drip tray that would catch any spilled water and the tent itself has a 4 or 5" ridge around the bottom. And, I think tents are water-tight.

I am not seeing the need for plastic outside the tent.

Also, you might get more response by starting a new thread. This one is from 2017.

Good luck

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
My grow room is carpet and I don't use anything. The bottom of the tent has a drip tray that would catch any spilled water and the tent itself has a 4 or 5" ridge around the bottom. And, I think tents are water-tight.

I am not seeing the need for plastic outside the tent.

same here - 5x5ft , carpet on floor, but the tent has a heavyduty drip tray, so don't see any need for extra protection..

Three Berries

I have one on a carpet. I just have a sheet of cardboard in front to catch any mess. My tent that sits on the wood floor has a sheet of insulation under it.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Back in the day before grow tents I had a grow room with carpet and I used one of those soft-side kiddie swimming pools. If I remember right, my grow room was 4x4 and it was a 5' diameter pool so I just stretched it around the room and stapled it to the walls. Wasn't a perfect fit but it kept the carpet dry.

Albeit, 10 years later when I picked everything up, the carpet was still fucked up under the pool. Just moldy and fucked up from plastic being air tight over it for too long.

So, maybe I should have taken it out every couple of years and let the carpet breath.

Today, fuck yeah.... grow tent.

Reactions: Gry

beyondledtech

Back in the day before grow tents I had a grow room with carpet and I used one of those soft-side kiddie swimming pools. If I remember right, my grow room was 4x4 and it was a 5' diameter pool so I just stretched it around the room and stapled it to the walls. Wasn't a perfect fit but it kept the carpet dry.

Albeit, 10 years later when I picked everything up, the carpet was still fucked up under the pool. Just moldy and fucked up from plastic being air tight over it for too long.

So, maybe I should have taken it out every couple of years and let the carpet breath.

Today, fuck yeah.... grow tent. warehouse led lights
Perfectly said. Thank you so much for your suggestion.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Peeps,

The only place I have room for a grow is upstairs in my spare bedroom which has carpet.
I am running 2 - tents (currently have one set up) which is a 5x5 and a closet on 2x4.

Everything is carpet in this room and what I was thinking of doing is laying down pond liner in the room with about 6 inch of lip on each side going up the wall. This way keeps dust and what not under and keep nutes and water off my carpet.
Since I have a door that opens inward to get into the room I am going to have to make a 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 frame to go around the door with some wood (open to suggestions please) so that i can open the door but still be able to have a 6inch lip to catch any water.

The tents i have are Gorilla tents so they hold tons of water and I am currently doing soil but may switch to hydro - I just wanted to ensure no issues with my carpet and I don't want to have to lay down plywood first.

I was hoping to get some feedback from peeps.
14x10 is the size I need and I was thinking of getting it from:
http://www.everything-ponds.com/premium-grade-rpe-pond-liner.html

I would assume for what I am using it for the 24mil would be enough - they also have stronger ones 30 and 40mil but this is already 3x stronger than EPDM liners.

Hoping to get some help and comments - thank you!
This is what i have used for a good few years. :good:

Waterproof Self Adhesive Clear Carpet Protection Film, :tiphat: