What's new

grow room design help

This is my first post. I have been growing mushrooms for a few years now and decided to give something else a go. I have been reading a lot and im glad i found this place.

OKay ill start off with my setup that I plan to buy in the next few days.

my plan is to buy a dark room 150 (5x5x7) tent and it will be in my bedroom.
my light and reflector that i plant on buying is:
ArticSun Plug 'N Play Reflector - 1000W HPS Luma 2.0 Ballast-Eye Hortilux Super HPS Bulb 1000W

to cool the light I plan on buying:
6" Vortex PowerFan: 449 CFM

would this be sufficient to cool the light?

now to exhaust the tent (which is completely seperate from the light) I was planning on buying the same fan. would this be good enough to exhaust 172 cubic feet (5x5x7) and keep the temps down inside the tent? or would this be over kill and get a smaller fan? I live in ohio so the temps are not sooo bad but still get in the 90's from time to time. I got an air conditioner in the room anyways. I am going to buy some fan speed controls too.. what cfm do you think would work best to exhaust this tent?

now what about the intake on the tent? i heard its a good idea to keep negative pressure in the tent. so less cfm on the intake. what cfm would you recomend?

and now on too the smell. my original plan was to have the carbon filter on the inside of my tent hanging from the top and then to the inline fan exhausting the tent. so filter ---> ducting -----> inline fan ----> exhausting outside of tent.

but then i realized I could just scrub the air outside of the room instead. because im also gonna have another tent for veg.

would this work okay? to find the proper fan/filter combo, should i find cubic feet of my bedroom and then divide by 5? i have decided on buying the can fan/filter combo pack.

Thank You

E

EvilTwin

Hi CZ,
I've never grown in a tent, but have done several larger rooms. I've seen people use a single blower inline. Starting with a scrubber...then to the light and then to the blower and exhaust out of the tent. I'd just have intake be passive which would give you a negative pressure. So one blower per tent.

I run an intake fan and an exhaust fan in a 10x11 room which gives total air exchange in about 3 1/2 minutes. Each fan is 240cfm and keeps fresh air and proper temperature in the room.

Seems like you're getting a little carried away with ventilation but I also don't quite relate to the heat build-up in a tent. Have your ballast outside if you can.

Just some random thoughts...
ET

you cant really exhaust the air in the tent through a 1000w light and keep temps down or so i have read.

with 1000w light you have to keep that completely seperate from the air in side the tent with an air cooled hood.

im not to worried about my light ventilation i got that down.

what i am worried about is keeping my tent cool. what cfm should be exhausting my tent (not my light)?

and i heard its kind of important to have an intake of some sort. i was thinking something around 250cfm.

and then i want to know if its okay to just scrub the air outside of the tent in my bedroom to keep the smell down?

I dont really feel im going over board. I have saved up about $3000 over the past few months and worked my ass off to get this started. so i want to make sure everything is correct. I want to grow DANK :)

you cant really exhaust the air in the tent through a 1000w light and keep temps down or so i have read.

with 1000w light you have to keep that completely seperate from the air in side the tent with an air cooled hood.

im not to worried about my light ventilation i got that down.

what i am worried about is keeping my tent cool. what cfm should be exhausting my tent (not my light)?

and i heard its kind of important to have an intake of some sort. i was thinking something around 250cfm.

and then i want to know if its okay to just scrub the air outside of the tent in my bedroom to keep the smell down?

I dont really feel im going over board. I have saved up about $3000 over the past few months and worked my ass off to get this started. so i want to make sure everything is correct. I want to grow DANK :)

if u scrubbing tent properly and you arent sucking growroom air out of leaks and cracks in your cooltube / air cooled reflector no need to scrub room

u can for sure get away with one fan pulling through the tent and the light inline but it'd need to be an 8" im pretty sure. id rather do what you plan to do, use 2 fans one for light one for tent, that way you can leave one running 24/7 for scrubbing and it could be smaller than if you had a bigger 8" running 24/7 and exhausting the light that isnt on in the dark.

calculate your tent's cubic feet and then get a fan that can exhaust it 2-3 times a minute. that should keep your tent plenty cool cause you already exhausting the light seperately. personally id run a 6" 300-350cfm fan on your light and a 450-500cfm fan for your tent. that will probably be plenty overkill but you will never have to worry about temps unless you get a heat wave. perhaps invest in a speed controller for the tent fan on a thermostat. that would be a ballin' setup. maybe use a 4" fan for intake unless you got big enough holes for passive intake

by the way, if you are concerned about noise either for your sanity or for security, i'd go with S&P fans for the 6" (312cfm and really quiet) exhausting the light and the active intake could be a 4" s&p which i believe is 150cfm~ if you decide to use one, and i'd go for a canfan max 8" (650cfm~) in an insulated box with a duct muffler on the end. that will be relatively quiet. Relatively. vortex fans are really loud. also im probably wrong on my active intake cfm measurements as ive only ever used passive and i believe the rule of thumb is having a hole thats twice as large as your exhaust... or two holes of the same size. someone correct me if wrong

well i dont really plan on scrubbing the inside of my tent. i was at first but i changed my mind since i was gonna have 2 tents in the room.

i agree about the cfm on the light and the tent. i am gonna use 2 6 inch vortex on the tent. 1 for light and 1 for tent both with fan speed controls. also i only got 6 inch openings on my tent no 8 inch anyways.

but what about intake on the tent?

and back to the carbon filter. the idea is to scrub the outside room. with a can fan/filter combo of which ever size is best. it is a pretty big bedroom. i got allergies pretty bad to so this will be awsome haha

that way it will get the smell from the veg and flowering tents. killing 2 birds with one stone.

the tents will just be exhuasting outside into the room (for the exception of the light. i am exhausting that into the attic cause of heat). no carbon filter at all in the tents.

i was just wondering if it would work to just scrub the air in my bedroom. and how many times a minute should i scrub the room? 5 times in 1 minute. or 1 time every 5 minutes since it isn't cooling anything anyways?

does everyone get what im saying now?

well i dont really plan on scrubbing the inside of my tent. i was at first but i changed my mind since i was gonna have 2 tents in the room.

i agree about the cfm on the light and the tent. i am gonna use 2 6 inch vortex on the tent. 1 for light and 1 for tent both with fan speed controls. also i only got 6 inch openings on my tent no 8 inch anyways.

but what about intake on the tent?

and back to the carbon filter. the idea is to scrub the outside room. with a can fan/filter combo of which ever size is best. it is a pretty big bedroom. i got allergies pretty bad to so this will be awsome haha

that way it will get the smell from the veg and flowering tents. killing 2 birds with one stone.

the tents will just be exhuasting outside into the room (for the exception of the light. i am exhausting that into the attic cause of heat). no carbon filter at all in the tents.

i was just wondering if it would work to just scrub the air in my bedroom. and how many times a minute should i scrub the room? 5 times in 1 minute. or 1 time every 5 minutes since it isn't cooling anything anyways?

does everyone get what im saying now?

i understand what your saying. i thought about doing the same thing, but i was worried about smells seeping out of the cracks under the door of the room the tent was in before the scrubber could get at it. im not sure if that would be an issue. if you are concerned about space in your tent and dont want to put the filter on the floor, just hang out from the tent with pipe strap whatever that shit is called. "Round-all" i think. and yah i think a 6" would work if its about 450cfm like the vortex for tent exhaust. it would probably still be enough even after passing through the carbon filter and losing a bit of cfm.

FWIW seemorebuds has the same type of setup you are talking about in his video, i think it was 4 seperate tents exhausting into a main room with a big scrubber exhausting out of the roof. so it probably works, try it out.

oh by the way, whicever way you decide to go, id exhaust the scrubbed air into the attic. ie. if you decide to get one big scrubber you should set it to exhaust out the attic rather than recirculate the room. heat will build up and make your setup less efficient. instead of a scrubber exhausting out the attic and pulling in good fresh air from cracks in the room, under the door, you'll just be passing the same air through your tent over and over?? but i guess the fans for the light would be pulling in some new air. but if you are already cutting 2 holes you might as well cut another 2. plus you won't be pulling in as much fresh air from the cracks under your door in the room, fresh air is good for your plants

Jnugg

Veteran
How many tents are we using and how much lighting in the 2nd tent (I see you have a 1000w HID for one tent)?

I'd exhuast the A/C light(s) to the attic...as far as ventilation exhuast,I'd run that to the attic too (this way you might never go above ambient temps!Slap the carbon filter(s) either in the cab to scrub or in the attic at the end of your ventilations exhuast in the attic.

If you set the scrubber up outside the tents scrubbing you'll not be doing a whole lot and I really don't think it will do you any good for your allergies.....get hepa air conditioner filters and replace your standard A/C filterswith those.

yeah i have space in my tent im sure. i just wanted to exhuast the room instead so i can get the smell out of both tents. i heard some strains smell a little when in veg state. so i didn't want to buy 2 filters and 2 fans (1 for each tent).

im sure it will work. i live in a house out in the middle of no where anyways. no neighbors for about 5 acres or so.

yeah i have space in my tent im sure. i just wanted to exhuast the room instead so i can get the smell out of both tents. i heard some strains smell a little when in veg state. so i didn't want to buy 2 filters and 2 fans (1 for each tent).

im sure it will work. i live in a house out in the middle of no where anyways. no neighbors for about 5 acres or so.

yah its probably fine. alot of times people tell me things on here that they say will not work but then i try it and its fine so go for it and see how it goes

2 tents. a 5x5x7 for flowering. and a 4x4x7 for veg.

the veg is only gonna have t5's in there for now. so just a small exhaust fan will go in that tent

both tents are gonna be in the same room.

i was only gonna exhaust the 1k light to the attic and exhaust the tent to the room but i guess i could exhuast all to the attic and just scrub the attic. but what about leaks when i open the tent?

i was kinda just kidding about the allergy thing. i can deal with it lol

but yeah if im exhausting the tents into the room i can just scrub the room right?
(once again i would never exhaust the light into the same room)

i also have an air conditioner in the room

if i was to just put the filter in the tent and exhuast through the filter then what about the veg tent? does it need a carbon filter too? cause im not gonna buy 2 i cant really do it right now

also if i need to exhaust my tent at around 500cfm? where in the world do you find a carbon filter that can handle 500cfm? (this tent is 5x5x7)

Jnugg

Veteran
I wouldn't worry about the leaks when you open the tent,if so just get a can of Ozium.

I think it would be best to run all ducting exhuast to the attic to control temps/ambient temps.

okay i am cool with exhausting everything into the attic. ill take your advice on that.

so then what size fan and filter should exhuast my tent into the attic? and should i put the filter in the attic connecting to the ducting and then the inline fan in the tent? or both fan and filter in the attic pulling air out of the tent. or carbon filter in tent and then inline fan in attic sucking air out of tent?

and then what about my other veg tent? doesn't it need a filter too?

and then what about the cfm of the exhuast fan and filter for the 5x5 flowering tent?

Jnugg

Veteran
okay i am cool with exhausting everything into the attic. ill take your advice on that.

so then what size fan and filter should exhuast my tent into the attic? and should i put the filter in the attic connecting to the ducting and then the inline fan in the tent? or both fan and filter in the attic pulling air out of the tent. or carbon filter in tent and then inline fan in attic sucking air out of tent?

and then what about my other veg tent? doesn't it need a filter too?

and then what about the cfm of the exhuast fan and filter for the 5x5 flowering tent?

The 6" Vortex should work just fine for ventilation and scrubbing of the tent via carbon filter.

As for the veg tent,yeah you might want to add a carbon filter to that too as there are some strains that stink like holy hell during veg.

Run you A/C lights exhuast to the attic.

For you ventilation and scrubbing set up like so :

passive intake > inside tent > carbon filter > small run of ducting > exhuast fan > small run of ducting to the attic

or

passive intake > inside tent > exhuast fan > small run of ducting to attic > carbon filter.

Need anymore help with your airflow then you should take a look at the links in my sig and read read read.

As for the size/airflow of the exhuast fan and filter for the veg tent,I base everything off of the Can Fan/Can Filter site.
Using the Can Fan 6" HO which is rated 392cfm @ 0" wg/static pressure 348cfm @ .25" wg/static pressure 301cfm @ .5" wg/static pressure 260cfm @ .75" wg/static pressure 230cfm @ 1" wg/static pressure 179cfm @ 1.25" wg/static pressure and finally 139cfm @ 1.5" wg/static pressure.The can fan 6" HO can handle a max of 2.08" wg/static pressure although airflow would be next to none at this level of static pressure.

Now we look at the Can Filters.We'll use the Can 50 filter for reference.Can Fan states that if you use a Can Fan 6" HO with a Can 50 filter that your airflow would be about 300cfm.

Hope that helps!

thanks man ill do that then that was actually my original plan

but i still have a question. what fan and filter should i get for this flowering tent?

i can run the vortex on a can 33 its way to many cfm's for that 33.

so please help me out here. i am gonna be buying this stuff in a few days

also another reason i wanted the carbon filter outside of the room, is that it would also remove the smell when i am drying and all that. it would be like an all in one system to remove the smell.

but it seems like i am gonna have to buy multiple carbon filters and fans. this is gonna go over 3 grand i bet.

what about the veg tent? what size carbon filter and fan should i get for that one?

Jnugg

Veteran
also another reason i wanted the carbon filter outside of the room, is that it would also remove the smell when i am drying and all that. it would be like an all in one system to remove the smell.

but it seems like i am gonna have to buy multiple carbon filters and fans. this is gonna go over 3 grand i bet.

what about the veg tent? what size carbon filter and fan should i get for that one?

See my last post on page 1 of this thread.

man ive been reading this all for about a year now. thats how long i been planning this. there is a lot of area's to cover all the time. it would be very helpful if someone could be a little more specific on which carbon filter to get and which fan to get for my 5x5 tent.

i read a lot about ventilation dont worry. how else would i know to find cubic feet and multiply by 5?

my cubic feet of that tent is 172.. 172 times 5 = 860... there is no way i can do 860 cfm and i dont even know where to get a carbon filter that does that.

now i can figure the veg out myself whatever about that.

i guess i should just send mr bojangles a message eh? and ask him since he has the same tent

i am pretty experienced in mycoclogy and spend a lot of time on that. i work 40 hours a week. and have another job fixing computers on the side. i am very busy and would really appreciate some help here before i throw down 3 grand. you were new to this at one time as well. i appreciate all the help you have provided so far.. just getting a negative vibe from you. like you aint ever been in my place before. kinda like smug in a way

i would just ask a few friends i know that grow but none of them use tents... its a little different and they told me they didn't really know. and they are about 15 years experienced in this. they have 3 1000k lights on a rail in a room.

and also some people say an intake on the tent is important as well. i just read about that.

Jnugg

Veteran
Dude in your 5 x 5 x 7 tent a 6" vortex with a can 50 filter will do the trick.You don't need to ventilate your cab with sooo much airflow unless you were using one fan to both cool the light and ventilate/scrub the tent.

replacing the air in your grow 5+ times in one minute is only for that.Since you'll have a seperate fan to air cool the light you will only need to replace/exhuast the air in the tent 3x in one minute.

If you're that worried get an 8" Vortex.If you were to use a Can 75 filter with an exhuast fan with similar airflow ratings as the Can Fan 6" HO you would have an airflow after scrubbing of 348cfm.

I'm making this easier then I should for you.....you just need to read read read,and then read some more.If only people would just come to you and say you need this and that and this or would just set it up for you.....but where is the learning experience in that,let alone the fun?!