What's new

Grow Room Design and Ventilation 2000W

wspcolorado

I could use some help on my Grow Room Design - Ventilation

picture.php

Room before I started, (Note: 2 concrete walls, 1 open framed wall)

picture.php

Room sealed

picture.php

Door will be zippers to the right of the pipe between the 2x4's

picture.php

My 6" canfan and vortex

I am using 2 - 1000 Watt Lumatec Digital Ballast that are mounted outside of the room. Eye Bulbs and Magnum XXXL Reflectors with 6" Co2, Regulator and Air4 control.

Wondering what the best way to use the fan above and my lights together. In the past I have only run 1 light systems. With the can on the ground sucking air thru the filter and out thru the light and out of the room via dryer vents ets.

sorry about the previous photos :)

looking good bro. hey what is that white/black sided tarp you are using? i see this stuff all over people are wrapping their rooms with. please tell me.

as for your ventilation setup, what's the CFM on your vortex? i would just daisy chain the two lights together, then throw the fan on the backside sucking through the can filter like you said. i would try and mount the can filter on the ceiling along with the lights and fan so you're sucking that hot air out.

S

silent_lemon

sirripalot, panda film, i purchased mine at a hydro shop locally.

does panda film provide the same thermal barrier that thermal shield does? thermal shield (found it at hydrowholesale.com), looks like the same thing but also blocks thermal imaging. is this stuff the same thing or no?

wspcolorado

Black and White Poly

Black and White Poly

sirripalot - The sheeting you see up is Black and White poly. I decided to do the ceiling as well to try and seal the room. The stuff rocks for cleaning as you can get a light brush and some bleach and clean the room. I picked up mine at the local hydro store. 100 foot roll. Better to have more then less!

My Vortex600 has a CFM of 449

I think mounting the can and fan up hi sounds good, will this affect smell vs having the can on the ground closer to the plants?

Thanks everyone, more photos to follow

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
sup?

summtin like dis?

The lights are in SunSystem II hoods -

8-in, T fitting wit 2, 6-inch reducers - all from Home Depot - and a 90 deg bend into the carbon scrubber in the next room. Vortex 750 CFM fan.

All on a 6 ft light rail

back and forth
back and forth
back and forth
back and forth
back and forth

Works EXCELLENT

ohhh - I have the fan running at about 45-50 %

sirripalot - The sheeting you see up is Black and White poly. I decided to do the ceiling as well to try and seal the room. The stuff rocks for cleaning as you can get a light brush and some bleach and clean the room. I picked up mine at the local hydro store. 100 foot roll. Better to have more then less!

My Vortex600 has a CFM of 449

I think mounting the can and fan up hi sounds good, will this affect smell vs having the can on the ground closer to the plants?

Thanks everyone, more photos to follow

thanks wspcolorado. yeah i found the stuff at my local hydro store as well, but i'm leaning towards this thermal shield stuff instead since it provides the thermal barrier (just to feel all warm and fuzzy inside).

that's a good point about the smell, but i think you'll be alright. the hot air with the smell is rising anyway. by the time your buds start stinking anyway aren't they up higher closer to the light than the floor? :joint:

wspcolorado

RockyMountainHi -Thanks for sharing the photos, any reason you have the scruber located in the next room as opposed to the grow area? I have being seeing more and more of that.

So to understand this: hot air comes thru the lights, into the vortex and then is sent to the next room and out thru the scruber? Seems slick!

Reverev313 - Are you using more then one fan?

For everyone is it best to have the scruber at the start or end of the line?

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
wspcolorado, welcome to IC! I would do something similar to Rockymountainhi's setup, get a t or a y, branch off your air so each reflector gets cool air, not just the first one. This will help to keep your growroom temps lower and more consistent. I built 2 manifolds for mine out of aluminized foamboard and foil tape. Built an intake and an exhaust, because I had extra foamboard laying around, and the price of all the different HVAC stuff would have been prohibitively expensive for my application. The room and the shades stay much cooler than running them inline, as well as the temps being more consistent across the room. I'll try to find some pics of my manifolds and post them, you can kinda see em in my grow thread in my sig, they're just hard to make out, because I used the foamboard to cover the entire ceiling, and put the manifolds up into the joists, to save precious headroom. From one Coloradoan to another, good luck! :wave:

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
Exhaust the heat from the big lights out of the room compleatly - otherwise you have an overgrown ez-Bake oven.

I did some veg time inder the big lights, initially and mid summer the room started getting real warm after 18 to 20 hours

The 750 cfm fan running at 1/2 speed or so is quiet - reasonably so anyway; the A/C makes more noise lol

I have 640 W. of floro and 400 MH (also on a mover) that is un-vented for vegative growing on the other side of the room.

Temp control will be the issue to watch. I used to run a single 1000 in the room and had to dam near shut down in summer.

Not this year.

If you blow into the scrubber (like in a different room) you need to filter the air intakes so the lint and crap dosen' t clog the scrubber from the inside and you don't get dirt and crap that burns onto the bulbs.

The last few days, - the scrubber isn't quite keeping up with a room full of stinky diesels (It's soooo close to harvest) so I augment with glade plug-ins.

Drying,,,, - is one thing I hadn't quite planned for ,,,,, YET

BudGood

Veteran
RMH, what brand and size of fan do you have, 8"? Sounds ideal for my needs... :smoker:

BudGood

Veteran
For everyone is it best to have the scruber at the start or end of the line?

It depends. Some don't like to run hot air through their fan, so they go:

Fan>lights>scrubber

I vent my air outside, it'd be kinda hard to put one outside, so my setup goes:

Scrubber>Lights>Fan>Outside

My fan is a can-fan 6" 440, doesn't seem to be affected by the scrubber or the heat from the lights, running reliably for 5 years now. It depends on your setup, where are you going to be pulling your cool air from? Are you going to be using CO2 or just regular ventilation?

i always heard to push air through your cool tubes, not pull. and i've heard the opposite about scrubbers, pull air not push.

scrubber->fan->lights->exhaust (or icebox!)

:yeahthats

BudGood

Veteran
It depends sirripalot, not all situations are the same. Your mileage may vary, find out what works for your specific situation.

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
And yes, it is design relative. I don't need the most efficent results - I want the most effective results. Small difference - but noteworthy

My scrubber was designed to flow from the outside to the inside (It's got a honkin filter wrapped around the outside) - my design says I need to flow backwards. I will draw room air into the hoods, over the lights and to the T.

The air from the lights meets at the T and heads down the flex hose to the fan. Thru the fan and into a 90 deg turn and then into the scrubber, thru and out into a different room. (and the closet runs about 105 f with the lights on - which is fine with me - it's away from the plants.)

The scrubber is in the ceiling of an adjacent closet.

I know enough about manafacturing to know there is a piece of sheetmetal or screen inside the scrubber - if I blow dirty lint laden air into that scrubber - it will soon plug up. If I blow filtered lint free air in - it comes out smelling clean and fresh.
This useage will last much longer if I place a filter at the air intakes on the hoods.

The fan and scrubber are 8-inch - the scrubber is 48-inches ling and about 2 ft thick - As stated before - I have the fan on a speed control at about 50% or so. The fan is a Vortex brand. Not the cheapest, but -- so far,, only bought one ! lol

Doing a little maintenance - the closet dosen't smell like dank - it's not the scrubber that is leaking. The odors are removed with a single pass thru the filter.

wspcolorado

Thanks everyone, souch to think about

RockMountainHi - So if your scruber is outside of your room and your lights-flex tubing are sealed how is it possibly pulling the dank smell out of the room? Wouldnt this just pull out the heat?

Budgod - Thanks for the tips as well.. Never thought about cooling both lights equally. If I set up the T and the air is being sucked out how do the lights recieve cool air - sorry if this is a stupid question

wspcolorado

Few updated pictures:

picture.php

This is where I am at, and sort of stumped. I have 2 lights ready to hang next to one another.

picture.php

Intake

picture.php

Would like to vent out the back corner..

So options are:

#1. Leave CanFilter on ground, vortex sitting ontop. Sucking air thru the filter and pushing out thru the vortex via 2 magnum hoods and then 90 elbow and outside of the room.

#2 Setup like RockyMountainHi, 2 lights conected with a 6" T fitting, hang the vortex and suck air from the lights thru the vortex and out thru the can.

RockyMountainHi, are the blue things on the end of your lights filters? So to think back to my earlier post, you are able to suck the dank smell thru the lights via vortex and then out thru the scruber?

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
Yes the blue color is the intake filter material

OK, now think this thru - THE ROOM IS FULL OF DANKNESS

ANY AIR IN THERE IS PRETTY WELL LOADED WITH ODOROUS MOLECULES

THE FAN DRAWS THOSE STINKY MOLECULES IN AND BLOWS THEM INTO THE SCRUBBER WHICH CATCHES THEM and keeps them. This air is taken out of the room - so if I had tighter construction - the room would be somewhat negative pressure - it's not tight at all and that is prolly why I get a little odor leakage.

The total cubic foot area of the room is 800 cubic feet - the fan runs at 300-400 cfm - and with restrictions and BS - fuck - who knows but,,,,

I figgure fresh air about every 2 minutes could be every minute, maybe evey 3 minutes ....... pretty easy - works fookin GREAT

Latest posts

Latest posts