What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

greenhouse secuirty?

Hello ICers,

I'm wondering how people secure their greenhouses?

I assume growing in city limits without camouflage plants is a big no no.

Running lights to extend days is a big no no?

--

If I'm in city limits what measures should I take to protect myself? I've heard of 5wall poly carbonate greenhouses for Canadians since it gets cold theyre highly insulated and harder to see inside. I thought this might be a good idea.

I also thought if I were to get a large enough greenhouse I could grow my green grocer veggies in there also.

Another thing is obviously fencing and perhaps a screen even higher but at a point it's just more suspicious... Is growing in the city limits just really dumb? I know my neighbors are legit, a neighbor right next to me just moved in but they're not nosy or anything.

Any other secuirty/greenhouse tips would be greatly appreciated!

The harder it is to see in the greenhouse the less light they will be getting. Outdoor in city limits is sketchy either way.

floater

Don't grow the first year you have it setup. just let folks get adjusted to the sight of it. put in large green plants for the first year, so when the second year comes around, you can drop some plants in and people are well adjusted to large green things in there.

be wary of smell, and prying eyes. my greenhouse has close to 50m to the property line, and 100m to the nearest neighbors house. the nearest road is 250 ft+ with a large hill/no direct line-of-sight on the small side road. it still feels very sketchy.

doublejj

Veteran
Stealth

Stealth

The best greenhouse security is stealth!

You need to try to make it look like something benign, common.

This is a portable carport from Costco, covered with 6mil plastic. The ends are tan shade cloth.

The plastic sheeting looks pretty much like the awning top that came with the carport. Does not draw attention.

These were recently harvested from the greenhouse.

I live inside the city limits of a large city in Northern California, this is the view from the street. Stealth!

Peace
jj

doublejj

Veteran
They all smell!

They all smell!

I haven't found one that's low odor. The greenhouse 'reeks' when they are all flowering!

Luckily neither of my neighbors houses are close to the greenhouse.

I know them enough to be cordial, but we're not friends. I'm sure they get a whiff once in awhile.

Peace
doublejj
P.S. Yes my wife & I are both '215 legal' med users.

this is stinky but if your really concerned about odour when theres heaps of resin on buds and your getting paranoid ... buy a few cheap bags of horse manure or something stinky thats in sealed bags ... and lay them around on the ground outside of pots then cut a big slit into the tops of the bags and rip it apart so the craps exposed but still covered mainly by the plastic ..

basically the poo will stink for months .. because it stil remains moist from still being left in the bag.Every week or so if smell starts to go then put on some gloves and stick ya hand in and stir it up.I do this with plants at side of house as its right next to neighbours and when flowering oh boy can you smell it so of course they can but we have a high fence and plenty of trees surround the outside plants.My neighbour is a old lady and she wouldnt know what it smells like but I am sure she would know what it looked.Only certain people would know that smell not everyone , mainly younger generation and of course police.

is stinky .. but hey it covers the weed smell ... your neighbours will just think you using it on your garden ... even tell them this and appologise if the odour gets to them.They will not think anything of it but they might ask what your growing lol so I would grow some roses or something to show off to them and only do this if you actual do talk to your neighbours... :)

dubite

Biggest problem with GH within city limits is actually light pollution. When setting up your GH take that into consideration since the yield, bud quality and finishing time are all affected by it.

Fluorobuds

wow, flabbergasted is the best word for my reaction to your greenhouse jj, that is some awesome plain sight stealth.

I found that as long as you keep air circulating and moving out of your greenhouse it helps a lot with smell. That's just my experience with a few ounces growing in a greenhouse tho. It wasn't a beautiful big plant like JJ's.......damn, so jealous, that is the coolest thing I have seen in a while.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
at one time I had .cameras,dogs , and guns/archery.. targets left randomly on property too all sighted in on yardage just in case...yeehaw

theclearspot

Ive just had my greenhouse burgled lost all my plants all special strains. Im putting padlocks on the front door , ive bolted down all the polycarbonate panels. not foolproof i know. Im also gonna get a motion sensor alarm system with a receiver in my bedroom. They will set the alarm off but wont hear it. Hopefully I will be there pretty quickly with my hammer.Im considering cctv so i can hopefully find out who it is if they come back...any greenhouse security tips??. Im in a village so the backgarden is pretty exposed easy to hop over our fence and your in...

Latest posts

Latest posts