What's new

Greenhorn Grower with questions...

WhiteBuddha

OK, this is my first attempt and I'm pretty broke right now so I'm running a minimalist setup right now. My first question is regarding lights. So first thing I did, without much thought or research, was grab about five of these encased cfl "daylight" bulbs that are 15w\1500lumens\6000k... I went back today after reading a little bit and got all the LED bulbs they had, which are 15w\850lumens\3000-4000k. I just finished germinating and don't quite have sprouts yet but I am broke now and I have everything set up so far. I also have a few blacklight and a blue cfl I can add into the mix but I wasn't sure if they would help?

bmp420gti

veg with the cfls and put them close to the light, test run them and check your heat temps, you might need a fan or two. You may find you need something more than cfl or those leds for flowering, maybe save up now for a cheap hps light for flower. Also lights are just the beginning, what media are you going to use? Soil? Coco? What about water and feeding, you need a PH pen at minimum and a PH adjustment kit. Read, read, and keep reading.

WhiteBuddha

I do have a fan, and I got pH test strips but I know that they aren't what I'm looking for... I will have the money to buy some lights by the time I flower them too. I'm using soil, mixed with some organic manure\hummus for this grow because of the monetary constraints. As for food I am going to get that here in a few days, but I was told a 20\10\10 would work good?

Snow Crash

Veteran
Those bulbs are too low wattage, you're going to need to keep them <1" from the plants. Seriously close. This will limit your plant count and plant size. I hardly mess around with anything under 23w. I prefer the 27w variety (that's only 4 more watts, but it's like 9% more energy, which means 9% more growth).

For all those CFL and LED bulbs, plus the cost of the sockets/reflectors to hold them. And all those power cords running to a power strip... I've done that before, and as one formerly very poor man to another; they are a waste of your money over the long run.

Take a look at this:
Sun System 150w HPS system - $59.95
400w Quantum Package - $149.95
EconoLume 600w Ballast + 600w Ultra Sun HPS + Econowing - $142.85

So... I get that you're broke. But for $150 you could have had a much, much better setup. Hell, if you spent more than $60 on bulbs and bologna, you could have had a straight 150w HPS and got a lot more energy to the plants than the wattage you're pushing now.

Trust me man. I've probably spent $150 on CFL bulbs to grow with in my lifetime. Lighting and ventilation are worth it. Save $20 a month and at the end of this grow you'll have enough saved to really take this to the next level.

WhiteBuddha

I do intend to invest some money into good lights/proper soil and nutes. As for the immediate situation though I intended for this to be a really small grow because I'm just winging it with some Reggie seeds so that I can learn what I'm doing a little before I mess with any good strains. But I got little mini sprouts after just one day and I know I had it too far away from the lights, but that's gotta be a good sign right?

Depending on your tinker skills you can look around for 4' shoplights that people have thrown out for being broken. Many times its a quick fix, the tube holders break contact, and bulbs don't light, so people chuck it.

I use T-12s for vegging and have flowered with them, so it will get you going till you can get something better. If you hit a honeyhole you can even sell them on craigslist to fund better lighting.

WhiteBuddha

Ok, I know that I'm not supposed to use clear containers...hence the duct tape...but I have mini sprouts after the first 24 hours....the cabbage patch kids are breaking ground!

WhiteBuddha

By the time I find some shop lights etc I will be able to buy equipment, I'm just temporarily broke and in the middle of getting a new vehicle. I would have waited to do this until I had the money but my house full of fiends have no patience and I figured I needed to learn anyway. And how better to learn than to make something work out of nothing.

N

NoSocSlic

It is possible to get through the entire grow with CFL's alone. I just started growing last year. All I have used so far is CFL's. You won't be growing monster plants with them but you can get a decent amount off of one plant, maybe an oz. or two. Its a good way to learn.