What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

@Green - Buzzard's Hawaiian Hashbud

great - even if you can keep the Buzzard's going in some way by crossing it, that's better than nothing

Agreed! I got one really nice Buzzards Hawaiian Hashbud plant, no deformity or issues, and moderately vigorous, however I do agree on the inbreeding depression.

I crossed it to a nice Deep Chunk male.

I hope someone out there makes a nice reproduction of the pure Hashbud though, it was some CHOICE smoke!

p59teitel

Here's my sole Hawaiian Hashbud a couple of days ago. It split on its own into two main stems early on in life. Hasn't declared sex yet. Strange thing that is thriving, although I have no idea why the leaves are turning into ridgebacks!

picture.php

picture.php

BlackBart

Veteran
I would take a few cuts and make some moms so you can keep it going . Also you could make some fem seeds

ctg

Veteran
I was going to mention mountain nectar’ x should turn out some stellar phenos!
-ct-

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
Clone and self it would be ideal, assuming crossing with another BHH plant isn't possible

Otherwise, crossing it to another pure Afghan would be the next best choice imo

(don't know what the leaf deformation is about - could be an infection, perhaps)

Green

Veteran
Aloha Icmag family,

Hey guys, Hows everybody doing? Everything is well with me, staying busy with many different projects. And above all enjoying the trade winds..

In regards to Buzzard's Hawaiian Hashbud. It was collected in the late 80's in Hawaii. (its quite possible the line is even older.)

Guessing it's from the first invasion of wide leafs to hit the islands. Possible cali heirloom, possible dutch heirloom, or even from landrace origins.

its an old school hash plant with wide spade shape leaves. Over the many years in Hawaii it was selected to be what we call in Hawaii a "short season variety" With three seasons in a single year, under the normal tropical photoperiod.

The line is extremely inbred. From what I understand single male and single female mating were used sequentially in reproduction for many years... I am talking about way too many single pair mating since it's last collection date in the late 80s...

Unfortunately with this extreme inbred depression, the line has many issues. Mutants, runts, krinkle leaves, and what you guys call in this thread the "ridge back leaf". Chiefly among these inbred depression issues is gemination. Even then there are a few plants that show moderate vigor.

I have seen a few buzz hybrids grown out. They look outstanding with some displaying autumn crimson colors in late flowering. Best of luck with all the hybrids. Buzzards hashbud is a very old and tired line. No doubt she may shine through with new blood mixed in.

I made the reproduction in 2018, and made several thousand seeds to be gifted out to the greater cannabis community with much aloha.

Most of you know me as a Narrow leaf fiend with focus on extreme tropical types. So my idea was to pass the torch onto the wide leaf loving brothers. Whether this torch was passed or Buzzards Hawaiian Hashbud is truly a dying breed (inbreed-lol). Is up to the great cannabis evolution game..

Thousand blessings, to all the 'pure' Buzzards out there and Buzzard hybrids with my wish and blessing that they remain freely gifted among the great cannabis community, with aloha to all.

green

musigny23

Interesting, thanks!

Yep had poor germination and from 5 or 6 seeds got what turned out to be a male. It flowered weeks ago so I froze some pollen. Insanely early, practically auto flower. I'm mainly NLD too but this year I'm growing a type from Pakistan Kashmir called Neelum Valley. The leave shapes and structure are very similar so I think I'll try the pollen on it. Might be a beneficial complementary sort of cross.

p59teitel

Yes, thanks for the additional info, Green. I chopped my male recently - it was a strange thing structurally, yet had good size and substance despite the weirdness.

I saved a couple of branches for pollen - it should dump soon, and I will freeze some and maybe try it out with one of the girls I have going currently (Afghan Kush, Balkhi or Waziri).

p59teitel

What he looked like before he was chopped. The ridgeback leaf thing had calmed down and he was producing new normal leaves at the end.

squatty

Appreciate the information Green.

I'm hoping to get a couple of plants going next spring to reproduce in preparation for our return to the islands. Looking for an indica line that will handle the humidity of upper Puna.

Green light me up with some more! I'll trade you some most excellent Thai (Chiang Rai) x Honduras that will light your fire. That hashbud is my style man...

p59teitel

The deed has been done. Selectively (I hope!) pollinated lower flowers on both my TRSC Balkhi girls today with the Hawaiian Hashbud demon semen.

Will hit them again a couple more times in the next week or so. I chose the Balkhi because of Ngakpa’s recommendation to cross to a pure Afghan - and also because the Balkhi have jumped into flower more quickly than my Waziri have, so thinking they were a better match to preserve the fast-flowering quality of the Hashbud.

picture.php

musigny23

I got just one male from the 5 or 6 seeds I tried. It flowered about 7-8 weeks ago. I froze some pollen and I'm going try it on a RSC Tashkurgan I have and also a Neelum Valley Kashmir. The Kashmir plant looks nearly identical to it so they may be related. Should both be complementary combinations.

I don't usually grow broadleaf types because in my coastal zone they mold easily but those were modern California hybrids. As these two females are from "landrace" populations and presumably not genetically bottlenecked and compromised, my hope is they are more hardy and resistant to botrytis.

p59teitel

I have some leftover frozen pollen too. Next year I’ll be running TRSC Tirah and maybe there will be some interesting hookups to consider then.

p59teitel

Update - saw a plump calyx on Balkhi 3 turning yellow, a closer look revealed it had split, simply touched it and out popped the first seed. Looks very healthy -

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: