What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

greek landrace strains

RED 1

Greetings All,

I am happy to report that my Female outdoor grown 'Athena' Greek landrace (Tropical Seeds) has been harvested and trimmed and is now curing in her jars. She grew absolutely beautifully. She even had gorgeous pink pistils! A very strong hash plant scent. The info from Tropical seeds said she takes 8-10 weeks and is ready in mid October. My girl was perfect by September 9th. Early smoke tests had a potent and pleasant hash plant high, somewhere between bubba kush and og kush. I saved a cutting and will be incorporating her into an open pollination seed crop, using the rest of the seeds in the original pack. This plant had absolutely stunning deep maroon red stalks and stems with mint green resin covered buds, with pink pistils. The structure was very hempy and I topped her once or twice, but she wanted to grow straight up with many stalks close together. The stalks do not bend very well. All in all, an exquisite hash plant which finished in early September at about six feet tall. I yielded just over 6.5oz on a plant with about 12 tops and grown in a 20gal fabric pot.
Have you a photo of a greek landrace that finishes ok September time?
A little male to "wet" your visuals
picture.php

Majo

Veteran
Thanks hempy!
"Athina'' from tropical seeds is a strain from Serres which is North Greece and is very far from south and Kalamata.
Although it could easily be relatives with Kalamata Red
Hope to enjoy pleasant creative/energetic highs and oldschool earthy hashy terps as happening with most of these strains.
I did Athina Sativa few years ago.
One of the best sativas I ever tried.

Incredible flavour and celebral high. Short flowering (12 weeks) for a pure sativa. I had two phenos but both of them were really great.

I swear I kept some of those seeds, I had them as freebies (an user called fatrasta brought them from a Greek family that grows it for more than 20 years)

delicorganic

Before 2 years i tried to germinate a few Cretan 90's seeds from my collection just by soft scratching the seeds and using H2O2 treatment for sterilization.
The result was very poor germination rates 3%.
Last year germination rates were much better (7%)by using apart of scratching and H2O2 methods,aloe Vera Juice..
But again i didn't found enough individuals or a promising male to preserve that strain in her pure form.
So the last season i've just crossed selected clones of Cretan90 with a kalamata red male in order to create a pure Greek F1 hybrid.

This year i tried again with much more seeds from Cretan90 and a few Arcadian hashplants/Tripoli(early 90's) by treating them with GA3.
First step was to scratch the shells, then soaked for 12 hours in 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and 12 hours treatment of 400 ppm GA3 solution.
The last step was to give their waterings on the paper from a glass of RO water where i had germinated before hundreds of fresh,viable and sterilized seeds, just giving by this way the natural vitamins that old seeds need to sprout.
I m really fascinated and fully satisfied with the results ,much higher germination rates at 20% giving me the opportunity to work with Cretan90 inbred line this season.
Arcadian hashplants germination rates (6%) were much lower than Cretan90.
I m going to use this method for every different seedstock of the remote past in my collection.

GA3 treated seedlings started with weird and lanky growth but very soon in the vegetation stage they became normal plants.

Last edited:

Hempy McNoodle

Have you a photo of a greek landrace that finishes ok September time?
A little male to "wet" your visuals
View Image

After much procrastination and hesitation, because of past difficulties with posting photos, I finally revisited posting photos and am finding it to be very easy this time around. So, here are a couple of pix of the 'Athina' Greek (Serres, Greece Landrace) specimen which I had the great pleasure to grow outdoors this year. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good bud shot until the pink started to fade in her pistils. I believe she is very similar to the "Kalamata Red" landrace, at least in appearance. She had very hempy stems that were a very bright red coloration. The high is sort of a heavyness in the head kinda stone and at times can cause nice relaxation. The smoke is very smooth, the taste is wonderful and floral and the scent is very dark cherry. As I mentioned before, I was able to harvest her by September 9th! She ended up being about 6feet tall (7ft with the pot included). I got 7.25oz.

ctg

Veteran
More than interested in Greek genetics. I’m American but my fathers family is from greece. Heard stories from older family members that the cannabis in Greece was good. Seems I got to the game late on the Athena

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Some of the Greeks that immigrated here brought over genetics the 2 most common i remember from the late 70s was Kalamata Red and Creation Red.

grayeyes

A strain of what is called "Kalamata" is available now from TRSC. I don't know how 'true' it is. But it is a start.

ctg

Veteran
Best I’ve grown from Greek heirloom seed came from delicorganic
Kalamata red nice frosty sativa, robust and stretchy.

Cretan sativa ( best by far of the Greek genetics I’ve grown) reminded me of the early white widow from the 80’s

Athena from fat rasta real nice. Def sativa. Doesn’t build huge buds. Fairly poddy in growth.

Plookerkingjon

After much procrastination and hesitation, because of past difficulties with posting photos, I finally revisited posting photos and am finding it to be very easy this time around. So, here are a couple of pix of the 'Athina' Greek (Serres, Greece Landrace) specimen which I had the great pleasure to grow outdoors this year. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good bud shot until the pink started to fade in her pistils. I believe she is very similar to the "Kalamata Red" landrace, at least in appearance. She had very hempy stems that were a very bright red coloration. The high is sort of a heavyness in the head kinda stone and at times can cause nice relaxation. The smoke is very smooth, the taste is wonderful and floral and the scent is very dark cherry. As I mentioned before, I was able to harvest her by September 9th! She ended up being about 6feet tall (7ft with the pot included). I got 7.25oz.

Well done sir!

need4weed

Veteran
Best I’ve grown from Greek heirloom seed came from delicorganic
Kalamata red nice frosty sativa, robust and stretchy.

Cretan sativa ( best by far of the Greek genetics I’ve grown) reminded me of the early white widow from the 80’s

Athena from fat rasta real nice. Def sativa. Doesn’t build huge buds. Fairly poddy in growth.
How do you compare the creten vs the kalamata in terms of effects and potency?

need4weed

Veteran
Before 2 years i tried to germinate a few Cretan 90's seeds from my collection just by soft scratching the seeds and using H2O2 treatment for sterilization.
The result was very poor germination rates 3%.
Last year germination rates were much better (7%)by using apart of scratching and H2O2 methods,aloe Vera Juice..
But again i didn't found enough individuals or a promising male to preserve that strain in her pure form.
So the last season i've just crossed selected clones of Cretan90 with a kalamata red male in order to create a pure Greek F1 hybrid.

This year i tried again with much more seeds from Cretan90 and a few Arcadian hashplants/Tripoli(early 90's) by treating them with GA3.
First step was to scratch the shells, then soaked for 12 hours in 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and 12 hours treatment of 400 ppm GA3 solution.
The last step was to give their waterings on the paper from a glass of RO water where i had germinated before hundreds of fresh,viable and sterilized seeds, just giving by this way the natural vitamins that old seeds need to sprout.
I m really fascinated and fully satisfied with the results ,much higher germination rates at 20% giving me the opportunity to work with Cretan90 inbred line this season.
Arcadian hashplants germination rates (6%) were much lower than Cretan90.
I m going to use this method for every different seedstock of the remote past in my collection.

GA3 treated seedlings started with weird and lanky growth but very soon in the vegetation stage they became normal plants.
I'm interested to try this method myself as I have old heirlooms I would love to revive. I need to read up a bit more on the process

ctg

Veteran
How do you compare the creten vs the kalamata in terms of effects and potency?
I would say that with all the Greek cultivars I’ve grown you can taste and feel similar things. The kalamata is a larger plant extremely robust, fairly frosty with a decent flavor. High is not totally sativa dom has some body to it does stone ya pretty good. The Cretan is extremely frosty has old school sour funky flavor (reminds me of some of the first white widows) high is like the kalamata body and head but longer lasting than the kalamata overall just a better flav and high. It flowers faster than the kalamata as well by at least a couple weeks. Things may be diff in other environments, my climate in hawaii is allot different than Greece. Can be extremely wet here as compared to low humidity in Greek outdoor gardens.
They are both worthy for sure I just prefer the Cretan

need4weed

Veteran
I would say that with all the Greek cultivars I’ve grown you can taste and feel similar things. The kalamata is a larger plant extremely robust, fairly frosty with a decent flavor. High is not totally sativa dom has some body to it does stone ya pretty good. The Cretan is extremely frosty has old school sour funky flavor (reminds me of some of the first white widows) high is like the kalamata body and head but longer lasting than the kalamata overall just a better flav and high. It flowers faster than the kalamata as well by at least a couple weeks. Things may be diff in other environments, my climate in hawaii is allot different than Greece. Can be extremely wet here as compared to low humidity in Greek outdoor gardens.
They are both worthy for sure I just prefer the Cretan
I remember early ww, my first seed purchase was 1996 when I went to Amsterdam for the 1st time. Brought a pack of white widow and Swiss XT from a shop called aloha. Still have the ww line but I've bred it towards the indica side. I remember my first growof it, waves of sativa euphoria with stoned to the bone indica buzz. Awesome stuff

Reactions: ctg