What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

greek landrace strains

D

DNM1

Attachments

• IMG_3442.jpg
    IMG_3442.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3449.jpg
    IMG_3449.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 35

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Someone get the Kalamata Red out to us poor people. We need trippy sativa heirlooms!

D

DNM1

Greek Landrace Sativa

Greek Landrace Sativa

:)

Attachments

• IMG_4361.jpg
    IMG_4361.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4362.jpg
    IMG_4362.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 47
  • #4 w6 in flo; 3
    #4 w6 in flo; 3
    97.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 42
D

DNM1

Two days to compose the smiley

Attachments

• IMG_4601.jpg
    IMG_4601.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4591.jpg
    IMG_4591.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4595.jpg
    IMG_4595.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 33
D

DNM1

No seeds from Greece on that site.

Cheers
Koon,nice Ace grow by the way, why when people when claiming they hold greek seeds, they do not show us, and,the phenotypes that come with the strain?
Compact pheno might make you sweat, heartbeat working overtime
Hairy pheno,normally after two hours, will let you get off the sofa, and then it will take you where the compact pheno is adjust to remind you where your at :biggrin:
Extremely difficult to get nowadays

Attachments

• IMG_4677.jpg
    IMG_4677.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4681.jpg
    IMG_4681.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 41

Mohadib

Veteran
Two years ago a friend of mine went on a field trip that also included parts of Greece.
She returned with a hand full of seeds she collected from a batch of wild growing cannabis plants in the Nestos area. From the rather blurry pictures she showed me, the plants looked very Sativa'esque: huge narrow-leafed bushes.

Does anyone has any experience with the genetics from that area?

G

Two years ago a friend of mine went on a field trip that also included parts of Greece.
She returned with a hand full of seeds she collected from a batch of wild growing cannabis plants in the Nestos area. From the rather blurry pictures she showed me, the plants looked very Sativa'esque: huge narrow-leafed bushes.

Does anyone has any experience with the genetics from that area?

It's hemp mate!Remains from old times when it was cultivated for rope and fiber...

Mohadib

Veteran
It's hemp mate!Remains from old times when it was cultivated for rope and fiber...

Haha! Maybe it is - I actually didn't think of that possibility :biggrin:

Probably because the plants didn't look like hemp at all (and I actually grew hemp in the past, so I have a rather elaborated idea of how it looks).

Guess I just have to grow some to check it out :)

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I am quite sure that the psychoactive varieties of the Mediterranean derive from hemp from fiber (with some intrusions of high thc populations), in other words, the warm climate of the Mediterranean has favored the natural increase of thc in hemp, and with the help of man.
Keep in mind that fiber hemp tends to increase thc under the sun of Greece and southern Italy, which is why in some countries farmers must buy certified seeds every year...

G

I'm from Greece guys,there is no psychoactive cannabis growing wild here.And if there was,it would be no more :biggrin:

ngakpa

Veteran
All the historical material I've read indicates that the hashish landraces cultivated in Greece in the 19th and early 20th century were short plants like Lebanese, Syrian, Turkish, and Egyptian landraces.

It seems they were introduced by smuggling networks, the "Levantine" underworld groups of the Eastern Mediterranean.

Production in Greece began in the second half of the 19th century after hashish cultivation was banned in Egypt.

The main market for Greek farmers was the cities of Egypt like Alexandria and Cairo.

So seed was brought to Greece along with techniques. There are government documents from the period when it wasn't illegal describing the methods, the plants etc. The crop was grown legally, then the hashish had to be smuggled into Egypt by boat, and often camel.

The Greek plants were short, compact early maturing strains just like Lebanese etc.

When I see these big "Sativa" plants people are claiming are native Greek drug strains my reaction is extreme skepticism.

D

DNM1

All the historical material I've read indicates that the hashish landraces cultivated in Greece in the 19th and early 20th century were short plants like Lebanese, Syrian, Turkish, and Egyptian landraces.

It seems they were introduced by smuggling networks, the "Levantine" underworld groups of the Eastern Mediterranean.

Production in Greece began in the second half of the 19th century after hashish cultivation was banned in Egypt.

The main market for Greek farmers was the cities of Egypt like Alexandria and Cairo.

So seed was brought to Greece along with techniques. There are government documents from the period when it wasn't illegal describing the methods, the plants etc. The crop was grown legally, then the hashish had to be smuggled into Egypt by boat, and often camel.

The Greek plants were short, compact early maturing strains just like Lebanese etc.

When I see these big "Sativa" plants people are claiming are native Greek drug strains my reaction is extreme skepticism.
When trading routes where established with Africa,Asia,Greece as a nation did not exist.So we are are talking about Athenian nation/traders,Spartan nation/traders, etc Every city/nation was self-sufficient,medically, included, to cover its people's needs.At war with each other, most of the time, individually they started establishing trading routes, or,not
Coming from the southern part of Greece,still remains a favourite of mine,Greek Red Landrace mix,Maroccan Black.Three decades after
There is a few greek strains around, rare.A very close friend came across a "purple" greek bud this summer',a strain I've heard about, but my mate trying it is good enough for me

Attachments

• IMG_4740.jpg
    IMG_4740.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 36

ngakpa

Veteran
@DNM1

ancient trading routes and whether what's now called Greece existed as a nation state aren't really relevant here

people were sailing boats around in the eastern Mediterranean in the Neolithic - but that proves nothing

we're talking about the origin of 'drug' cannabis in Greece

it's very clear when commercial cultivation began in Greece, ie mid-19th century, and why it began - to supply Egypt

prior to that, evidence for the presence of hashish in Greece is few and far between

there's zero evidence in the Byzantine era

it was certainly around in the Ottoman era, but evidence for its cultivation in Greece is purely circumstantial

if people know different, I'm happy to be proved wrong

Kannavo

Hi ngakpa, your historical analysis is correct. However there is the possibility that the strains provided by the greek forumers are a sort of hybrid between the old indica-like hash plants and balkan hemp varieties, which very likely had quite low but still notable THC levels (like traditional southern italian hemp varieties by the way).

Kannavo

In fact the difference between "drug" and "non-drug" cannabis in nature is often not so clear-cut, especially in frontier and transitional areas like central-east Mediterranean.