What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting?

I've seen people graft different branches of strains together on a plant near flower and then flower it and it worked. From what the person said it wasn't worth the effort to grow that way, but was definately a cool experiment. All branches retained their original strain heritage. There was no blending of strains so to speak.

Sorry, but I don't think the way you're grafting it will work because of the big difference in diameter of the stems. Air is bound to get into there and we know what happens when an air bubble gets in a clone.

I wish you all the best and hope it works out well for you.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
sunnydog said:
Didn't make it. bummer. :badday:
I will try again,some other time.
Thanks to everybody for hanging around. :joint:

You tried, and THAT is what counts in my book. Thanks Sunnydog. If you decide to try again, please keep us informed.

Namaste, mess

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I will try this again some time, I'll read up some on grafting,first.
Hope someone else will try.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Just checked on Wicki and some other links, looks like I did it right, it just did not work.
Maybe a humidity retaining enclosure of some kind.
And lower light levels.

Last edited:
Good points, SD. We gotta treat this like cloning, in many ways.

I'm going to make some attempts at grafting clones onto an established mom. From what I've read, it will go faster if you leave most of the original root stock with most of it's original foliage. So my plan is to cut one main branch from the mom, and graft a different strain onto it, one at a time. My goal is to create 4-6 strain mothers which would help lower overall plant count.

Flowering one of these moms would be very difficult, but they'd be great for providing clone-stock.

guest3589

All of my full graft attempts did die. However again I had success with the approach method. This is the method that I used last year and it seems the success rate is much higher.

guest3589

Video

Video

Here is a link to the video that was my guide to this experiment. Graft Video (go Bubba go!)

I used this method but the plant was larger and had multiple branches.

Last edited:

guest3589

Photos of Approach Graft Union

Photos of Approach Graft Union

Here are a few photos of the two plants that I was able to use the approach graft method.

THe branches that I used had a modest amount of material that is about equivalent to a good sized clone cutting. Basically you don't want a lot of vegetative material that will cause water stress before it can knit up the wounds.
Here is the male root stalk with a kush female grafted on with the tape still on the wound. In this picture I have already cut away the kush plant.

A few pics of the same plant with the tape removed, I left some of the male so I can keep both as a mother/father plant.

And here is the female kush with a branch from the male root stalk grafted on. In this way I can create two of the multi strain plants as I work on them. If one should get sick or die I still have one left. A bit of redundancy.

So I made the same cut type as Bubba and just stuck them together as he shows in his example. The only difference is that both plants I use are keepers and they have more growth on them.

On a side nothe the Kush plant is a reveg from last fall outdoor harvest. I pulled her out of the ground, stuck her in a pot with a dash of fresh soil and threw her aside for the winter, she was still alive in the spring so I gave her a cfl shop light at night for a few extra hours until she revegged, it's the same core root stalk from harvest last fall, goes to show that the root stalk used can be from a very mature flowered plant, however as mentioned it should be in vegetative cycle when the graft is done.

Here is a picture of the male root stalk with the Kush club cut grafted on. You can see that the main stalk of the male has been cut away, and the lower side branch is all that remains. It seems to help if there is more root mass than veg mass.

Hope this helps everyone build the mega mothers and thanks Sunnydog for getting the ball rolling with this thread!

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Expertsetup said:
Here are a few photos of the two plants that I was able to use the approach graft method.

THe branches that I used had a modest amount of material that is about equivalent to a good sized clone cutting. Basically you don't want a lot of vegetative material that will cause water stress before it can knit up the wounds.
Here is the male root stalk with a kush female grafted on with the tape still on the wound. In this picture I have already cut away the kush plant.

A few pics of the same plant with the tape removed, I left some of the male so I can keep both as a mother/father plant.

And here is the female kush with a branch from the male root stalk grafted on. In this way I can create two of the multi strain plants as I work on them. If one should get sick or die I still have one left. A bit of redundancy.

So I made the same cut type as Bubba and just stuck them together as he shows in his example. The only difference is that both plants I use are keepers and they have more growth on them.

On a side nothe the Kush plant is a reveg from last fall outdoor harvest. I pulled her out of the ground, stuck her in a pot with a dash of fresh soil and threw her aside for the winter, she was still alive in the spring so I gave her a cfl shop light at night for a few extra hours until she revegged, it's the same core root stalk from harvest last fall, goes to show that the root stalk used can be from a very mature flowered plant, however as mentioned it should be in vegetative cycle when the graft is done.

Here is a picture of the male root stalk with the Kush club cut grafted on. You can see that the main stalk of the male has been cut away, and the lower side branch is all that remains. It seems to help if there is more root mass than veg mass.

Hope this helps everyone build the mega mothers and thanks Sunnydog for getting the ball rolling with this thread!
Excellent!!!!

guest3589

DangerP said:
Expertsetup, what other methods did you try?

Hi DangerP,
I tried the basic method of grafting a new scion to a root stalk but failed each time. When I did a search for grafting annuals on youtube thats when I found Bubbas video. It seems that for annuals it's best to use the approach method. I did however observe some interesting techniques that are used for trees that may also work I just haven't tried them.

Now that the first branches have taken I will now try to add another strain, hope it works as well as the first.

DangerP

I hadn't thought about annuals being different from perennials; that's good to know. I was going to try some other grafting methods, but it sounds like approach is really they only option. I kinda wonder if it would be different with woody tissue, but I don't really have a good way of trying that.

Now I'm going to have to get off my ass and actually do some grafting myself!

growsmall

i only grow two strains atm so my ganj wont benifit from this but i have a five chilli bush bonsai style im messing with keep it green !

4maggio

High.. Great thread, sunndog...

Good going 'expertsetup'....

I've been thinking about grafting, as I did some tomato grafting 25 years ago... just for fun.. it is too much work for tomatoes... but here we have a much differnt motivation...

One thing not mentioned here, is that when grafting, generally, the species types must be the same. One can not graft peppers onto an orange tree! LOL.. would be the answer to world hunge though.

So would it follow that it would be harder to graft hybreds? and damn near impossible to graft an Indica to a Sativa? But I/I & S/S might be easier?
I dono.. just thinking out loud.

And when previously grafting, it was alwas suggested that a slit be made in the recieving plant at the juncture of a stem to the stalk, preferably lower on the plant, while it is vegging, for best sucess. The graftee would be cut to a deep V shape to fit the contour of the slt cut into the stalk/stem. This give bigger, similarly sized porportion of donor and recipient, less possibility of air bubbles and other problems that improperly sealed graft migh cause.

I agree, though that this plant might be best for a mother plant and not for flowering out. One grow and you'd have to start over again... LOL!

4maggio

High.. Great thread, sunndog...

Good going expertsetup, it does work.

I've been thinking about grafting, as I did some tomato grafting 25 years ago... just for fun.. too much work for tomatoes...
but here we have a much differnt motivation...

One thing not mentioned here, is that when grafting, generally, the species types must be the same.

One can not graft peppers onto an orange tree! Or apples to oranges either. If we could, it would be the answer to world hunger though. LOL..

So would it follow that it would be harder to graft hybreds? and impossible to graft an Indica to a Sativa? But I/I & S/S might be easier?
I dono.. just thinking out loud.
(I'm not good enough to figure your sucessful grafting, expertsetup (I vs S)).

And it was alwas suggested that a slit be made in the recieving plant at the juncture of a stem to the stalk, preferably lower on the plant, while it is vegging, for best sucess. The graftee would be cut to a deep V shape to fit the contour of the slt cut into the stalk/stem. This give bigger, similarly sized porportion of donor and recipient plant to plant contact, less possibility of air bubbles and other problems that improperly sealed graft might cause.

I agree, though that this plant might be best for a mother plant and not for flowering out.

Latest posts

Latest posts