What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting to make a multistrain mother

Anima

I just made another attempt this time using a much younger Northern lights rootstock. It also had a thicker stem maybe 4-5mm. I grafted a bubba kush scion into the top.. this time I cushioned the clamp with a couple layers of plastic wrap and covered the whole plant with a big gallon ziplock and put it up in my cloning chamber that should keep it warmer than my veg cab. So far it has been about 3 hours and no signs of droop.

Sorry no pics this time but I will take them if it is successful.

Peace and kindness all
-Anima

K

Kelly.

how did it go?

it looks like this multi-strain plant is gonna be harded then originally thought.

Anima

how did it go?

it looks like this multi-strain plant is gonna be harded then originally thought.
My sentiments exactly.
:deadxmas:
Well the first two tries withered, and shrivled up... no hope for them what-so-ever..
But my second try is still kind of alive.. but also kinda dead:
See for yourself:
picture.php

It's definitlety not the picture of health... but it still has life. and surprising turgidity in the grafted stem.

I took the clamp off at about 5 days in when it started to wilt. Wrapping it with some plastic wrap to keep it from drying out was a good move though.
Also--the HVAC in my house went on the fritz for a few days (around the time of the shriviling) and it got kind of cold in the house (~63F) which I'm sure didn't help my lil project at all..

You can see by the pic that it is a small plant... I grafted it right onto the main stalk of a 2 week old clone about 3 nodes up from the dirt... I also think this made it a bit easier to move the thing around and the plant was still growing at warp speed and very healthy as opposed to my first try with an old mother plant that wasn't so vigorous anymore.

I'm going to have to take a break on this cloning business until I have more rootstalk to work with. for my next graft I think I might try grafting one plant to another while both still have roots (called an Approach graft) then waiting for the graft to heal then cut off the roots on one.
I'll keep my eye on this one and if it completely dies, or starts miraculously growing I'll let ya'll know.:tree:

Peace and kindness
-Anima

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
This tecnique really does work with practice , have grafted a female top onto a male rootstock twice but both times the graft snapped weeks later like a poor quality weld a half inch away from the union. when moved.

It was the hope of useing up the males that motivated me to try it after good luck with air layering.

A length of thick walled rubber tubeing split down one side is good to hold stems in line , if it moves a mil its fucked so leave it alone for a week at least.

I would not bother trying on stems below 6 mm diameter or if they are hollow.

Top info, thanks, I guess the [large] differences in MJ Stems between varieties will affect the results, bad news about the weakness issues though, maybe some kind of splint needs to be used ?

What about cutting back the fan leaves like when you take clones? I always take small clones with only one or two fan leaves and still cut them back pretty far, I wonder if this would make it easier for the grafted plant to survive as well..

rocket high

Veteran
would it not be better doing the cutting under water to stop air blockages.... that would make the graft fail .. i do this with my clones which works every time
what do you guys think ? :)

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
would it not be better doing the cutting under water to stop air blockages.... that would make the graft fail .. i do this with my clones which works every time
what do you guys think ? :)

Good thinking rocket high, it is hardly going to be worse is it ? .. it might well be better, so do it...

rocket high

Veteran
am going to give this ago when my cheese mothers re-grow ..as ive just taken 20 cuttings off them ... i'll graft a chronic clone on to the cheese ... its good to experiment ;)

Budley Doright

Veteran
Ive done a bit of grafting....

I also watched the video...

What is typical for other varieties is that the grafting is done when the plants are dormant....

I may just give this a shot since Ive just put some plants under 12 - 12....

IMO I would remove all leaves from the scion piece....

Use some wax to reduce transpiration and use a baggie to protect the graft.....

Im not sure what I might use for the union.....

rubber bands are commonly used.....

as are strips from bread bags.....

and waxed dental floss might work well with a coat of wax after....

a toilet wax ring can be used as a wax source.......

sounds like a fun project.....

There are 2 grafts that might work.....

What called a cleft graft.... on smaller diameter branches....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuSYbmSgRcY

or a saddle graft....

here is a very cool brit.... demonstrating on an apple tree.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UC5Dr3tWDc

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have done this it works for sure, if you can keep the grafts alive until they are fused with the plant you put them on. You just need to control transpiration mostly.
Hint, use the later maturing variety as the root stock and the earlier varieties as the stock to be put on the later ones.
This way when flowered the plant does not quit growing, before all the branches are finished flowering.
-SamS

Budley Doright

Veteran
Sam.... I agree this certainly doesnt look that tough....

There was an attempt earlier in the thread and it had way too much leaf vegetation.....

I think the main reason to do this would be to create a multi mom.....

Not like the video a plant with different buds.....

It would be too much of a pain in the ass to do the grafting to flower the plant.....

least ways for me....

Rodney

There is a small section in Robert Connell Clarkes Marijuana Botany directly relating to this subject. Here's the important part. The scion plant is attached to it's root system while the graft takes. Here's a bit from the book.
"One procedure starts by planting one seedling each of several seperate strains close togeather in the same container, placing the stock(root plant) for the cross in the center of the rest. When the seedlings are four weeks old they are ready to be grafted. A diagonal cut is made approximately half-way through the stock stem and one of the scion(shoot) seedlings at the same level. The cut portions are slipped togeather such that the inner cut surfaces are touching. The joints are held with a fold of cellophane tape. A second scion from an adjacent seedling may be grafted to the stock higher up the stem. After two weeks, the unwanted portions of the grafts are cut away. Eight to twelve weeks are needed to complete the graft, and the plants are maintained in a mild envirnment at all times. As the graft takes, and the plant begins to grow, the tape falls off."
So. That's RCC's take and it sounds spot on to me.:)
Should solve alot of the problems everyones been having( scion wilting, falling off etc)
I will be doing this this way in the upcoming weeks. I'll be sure to post my results. Peace!
Rodney

Anima

There was an attempt earlier in the thread and it had way too much leaf vegetation.....
That was the first attempt. I didn't get a good pic of the whole plant used in the second attempt. I agree that the first attempt was doomed by the fact that I used an old mother plant as rootstock. The second try used a 2 week old clone grafted at about the 3rd node... lasted 6 days instead of the 2 that the first try did.

Using plastic wrap around the graft helped it out.
If I had everything to do it again and any items I wanted I'd try it with I try out the split walled rubber tubing... and I'd try one with the split rubber tube with a bit of wet rockwool around it....and one with the tube and sealed with the wax (toilet wax--good idea!:yes:)

I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE... I am interested in a reliable technique...
There have been some great ideas brought up and shared.. thanks people!

A withered up failed graft is still a learning experience..

I'm going to try again... but in the meantime feel free to try it out yourselves... Snap some pics and report back with your success or failure. :yes: :yes:

Peace and kindness
-Anima

Anima

There is a small section in Robert Connell Clarkes Marijuana Botany directly relating to this subject. Here's the important part. The scion plant is attached to it's root system while the graft takes. Here's a bit from the book.
"One procedure starts by planting one seedling each of several seperate strains close togeather in the same container, placing the stock(root plant) for the cross in the center of the rest. When the seedlings are four weeks old they are ready to be grafted. A diagonal cut is made approximately half-way through the stock stem and one of the scion(shoot) seedlings at the same level. The cut portions are slipped togeather such that the inner cut surfaces are touching. The joints are held with a fold of cellophane tape. A second scion from an adjacent seedling may be grafted to the stock higher up the stem. After two weeks, the unwanted portions of the grafts are cut away. Eight to twelve weeks are needed to complete the graft, and the plants are maintained in a mild envirnment at all times. As the graft takes, and the plant begins to grow, the tape falls off."
So. That's RCC's take and it sounds spot on to me.:)
Should solve alot of the problems everyones been having( scion wilting, falling off etc)
I will be doing this this way in the upcoming weeks. I'll be sure to post my results. Peace!
Rodney

I agree! Its called an approach graft... Good luck man!! Sounds like a winner to me!
Got some clones rooting up as I type...
:eggnog: