What's new

Grafting to create the perfect Bonsai Mom

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
this is great Methias, i am glad you were as determined as you are to succeed :respect:

methias

FAIL (this attempt)

FAIL (this attempt)

this is great Methias, i am glad you were as determined as you are to succeed :respect:

Thanks but the approach graft failed. I bumped it and it separated.:shucks:

I do still have the one graft on judy and since I have 2 clones that just rooted I potted them both right next to each other and I will try with that. MaybeI can get the stalks to twist together like a candy cane. If that works well I might keep her as a MOMC and flower judy with her graft. This way I will have at least 2 main stalks (each from different strains). More like I tried to do with judy.
:bump:

So it looks like I'm gonna retire this thread and start a new.
:wave:

Once again I want to thank all who threw out their $.02 and helped support me through this experiment. It was not a total failure as I do have one MOMC and viable clones from both strains present. The last approach graft just didn't take.

But I will be back.

Vape on all

Peace

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
thanks to you as soon as i can grow again, i will start playing with grafts....

cool idea !!! :tiphat:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I need to take some pics of my mom of many flavors, I had an outbreak of Root Aphids, and they did enough damage to cause Rot to set in on the roots. It snuck up into the stems and caused all kinds of hell.

My plant is recovering, and 3 out of the 4 strains are back to normal. The Durban Poison graft on the other hand developed a fungus that is slowly destroying that node. Looks weird as all get out, and now you can clearly see the graft joint which is over a year old.

Good luck flowering your grafted plant, I found the graft that I flowered fed too differently from the host to flower out very well. But it was certainly a fun experiment! :tiphat:

TicalionStalion

hey guys, awesome thread here. Im a toal newb on the idea of grafting...I hear its picking up popularity in norcal? anyway I have a few grafting qs...

say you graft a blueberry, with an Ogkush...the graft works and you grow out (for a while) a nice little bush...if you take cuts from there will they show equal traits of both? do you have to veg it way past where the stems met? so the new shoots are a mix of both? or do you have to run it a few gens. before you see both strains traits? Im so confused!!

someone please clear it up for me real fast? thanks!!

*EDIT* -- OR! ...is it that half the plant will grow BB nugs, the other half OG? Im pretty sure Iv seen lemon and lime and orange trees grafted together, and it was just one big tree that grew all 3 types of fruit, not a new super fruit lol

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
My mom of many strains is over a year old now, and each strain remains true to it's genetics when cloned, there's no mixing.

I did a thread on grafting where I flowered a grafted plant, the Vanniluna branch produced 100% Vanniluna buds, while the rest of the plant made normal blueberry buds.

Here's my thread that should help answer your question. Grafting?

methias

THE END

THE END

Well I just lost my mom of many flavors. :cry: Judy and her berry branch are no more.:tumbleweed:

Not really quite sure just WTF I did to kill her but
:cry:
I did kill mom..
I may, have possibly, trimmed her roots back, a bit far when repotting her last time. My mom of many flavors is no more.:tumbleweed:

For the record, Judy and her graft survived 11 months giving me happy babies that whole time.

The only ray of sunshine here is I still have a viable judy clone. So I am back where I was a year and a half ago when I started this experiment and thread.
I want to thank everyone who followed or helped encourage :comfort: and offer advice during this experiment.

So
Thank you all...

The End!

dasher65

Thank you, Mathias, for a very informative, inspring and entertaining lesson wtih your chronicle on grafting. Sorry for the loss of Judy but I'm positive we won't see the last of her.

Many here have followed your topic and I for one wish to give grafting our own multi strained mum a try.

Once again thanks for your thread and helping to push the boundaries for all.

EvilCartman

Excellent thread!, guys! :tiphat:

I'm gonna have to look into those "grafting clips", that grafting wax is some nasty stuff to work with. Lots of good tips, here. :thank you:

I played around with grafting a while back, with nothing but frustration as my result. :tumbleweed: Maybe time to revisit that little experiment.:cool:

Good job.