What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting Technique for Multiple plants and Low Plant Count legality

zif

Veteran
Just FYI, wedge grafts work well (best, even) with stems that are just thick enough to work. For me, that’s 3-4mm. It’s easy to make every growing tip a different variety.

It takes 4-5 days to know that the graft has worked. Whether that’s fast enough for a given setup is a good question, and a subjective one.

They flower fine (although you want the longest flowering plant as rootstock), but really shine as bonsai moms where one plant can hold every keeper you’ve ever grown. =)

You'd going to need to veg pretty big plants to get stems thick enough for a proper graft, then getting the grafts to take hold, and then going through flowering.

p0opstlnksal0t

Grafting onto one stem is no good it will not help
Yields in fact if you graft onto one stem you will probably lose yields VS1 non grafted plant the point here is to keep all four main trunks and root systems intact so that you have the proper highway system to transport nutrients up to four different canopies

p0opstlnksal0t

I like the concept... but couldn't one simply plant four seedlings together in one hole and tie them together as they grow? I realize that's not 'grafting' but the trunks will all grow together if tied together. Of course, a much larger pot will be needed to allow the four plants to thrive.

Yes this is essentially what I'm after of course growing for seedlings and tying them together would not be as efficient as grafting for juvenile trunks together. If I am able to essentially turn the trunk into a quarter round I can interlock all for trunks tie them off with grafting tape and essentially have one big trunk when it's done

brown_thumb

Yes this is essentially what I'm after of course growing for seedlings and tying them together would not be as efficient as grafting for juvenile trunks together. If I am able to essentially turn the trunk into a quarter round I can interlock all for trunks tie them off with grafting tape and essentially have one big trunk when it's done

I was contemplating this last night. I think I'll try it both ways (tied together and 'true' grafting). I suspect the uncut plants will do better but I don't know. However, it must wait until springtime because I only have a few small plants to harvest in December and I can't afford to risk those. I haven't yet decided how many I'll graft together nor am I sure if I want to mix phenotypes. Lastly, I'll need to buy larger root bags to accommodate multiple root systems because mine are only 7 gallons (26 liters).

p0opstlnksal0t

I was contemplating this last night. I think I'll try it both ways (tied together and 'true' grafting). I suspect the uncut plants will do better but I don't know. However, it must wait until springtime because I only have a few small plants to harvest in December and I can't afford to risk those. I haven't yet decided how many I'll graft together nor am I sure if I want to mix phenotypes. Lastly, I'll need to buy larger root bags to accommodate multiple root systems because mine are only 7 gallons (26 liters).

I may try the same as well. I do not plan on mixing phenos, simply clones of the same plant. i imagine mixing phenos would be possible though. once they get enough growth on them and the trunks mold into one universal trunk and the main stems get trained into a scrog i think a person would be hard pressed to discern the multiple plants vs one single...

p0opstlnksal0t

I will be growing in modified dtw coco/perlite system. 5 gal active aqua buckets. my goal will be to wrap/graft 4 plants together right after the clones root. veg them for a week or two while the main stems grow together then throw them into the flower room after minimal veg time. I wont know the timing until i get my new room squared away but my hope is that this technique will hasten my veg time needed.

brown_thumb

I may try the same as well. I do not plan on mixing phenos, simply clones of the same plant. i imagine mixing phenos would be possible though. once they get enough growth on them and the trunks mold into one universal trunk and the main stems get trained into a scrog i think a person would be hard pressed to discern the multiple plants vs one single...

I think you're right. :)