What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Governor hogan made paraphnaila pipes illegal

moonymonkey

Governor hogan makes pipes and paraphernalia illegal nov.29 2021 time to vote him out.this is disproportional and discriminates...xxxx

audiohi

Veteran
So this is the moderate republican that some here are advocating for president in 2024?

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
lol, if the next election rests on any politician's stance on Bongs, I FEEL SORRY FOR ALLA US! ;):biggrin:;)

audiohi

Veteran
The question is... Do you actually know his policies, cannabis "supermod"?

Why would he veto Senate Bill 420?

He doesn't care about the will of the voters?

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
The question is... Do you actually know his policies, cannabis "supermod"?

Why would he veto Senate Bill 420?

He doesn't care about the will of the voters?

Please give me a citation to click on 'cause this "supermod" doesn't know wtf the 'issue' is you want to argue about!

............ and, please re-read my response from 12/1, thanks! ;)

Edit to add: OK, found that Bill, looks like it's mainly designed for HARD DRUG paraphenalia (7 (c) (1) This subsection does not apply to the use or possession of drug 8 paraphernalia involving the use or possession of marijuana.).

I have no idea why Larry vetoed it, coulda been 'cause it was too vague, lots of potential good reasons, the bottom line: I REALLY DON'T CARE!!!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

audiohi

Veteran
sigh.

It would be nice if OP chimed in with their concerns, but I guess I’ll find some info for you. I use google for that, FYI.

I re-read your post and think you’re trying to oversimplify things.

Were you unaware of how much Hogan vetos the will of the people? It’s not just cannabis related.

Pot May Have Been Decriminalized In Maryland, But Bongs Are Still Illegal
https://wamu.org/story/15/05/26/pot_...still_illegal/

Hogan feels the measure creates “legal uncertainties” because it also decriminalizes smoking in public, making that act punishable by a fine of up to $500. He also believes that it takes away the authority for police to stop someone who’s smoking while driving.

Supporters are baffled with the reasoning behind the veto.

“That would be like saying a cop can’t pull someone over they see drinking a beer while they’re driving. If a cop sees someone smoking marijuana while they’re driving a vehicle, they certainly have probable cause to pull that individual over for driving while impaired,” says Robert Capecchi of the Marijuana Policy Project.

Hogan veto overturned; marijuana paraphernalia won't be a crime in Maryland
https://www.baltimoresun.com/politic...121-story.html

The General Assembly, led by Democrats, overturned five of Republican Gov. Larry Hogan's vetoes on Thursday. One result is that a bill making possession of drug paraphernalia a civil offense and setting a fine for smoking marijuana in public will become law.

Supporters of the bill said it fixes an oversight. In 2014, lawmakers reduced possession of small amounts of marijuana from a crime to a civil violation with a fine. But they failed to decriminalize smoking paraphernalia, meaning that a person with a joint of marijuana might be fined for having the drug but face a criminal misdemeanor charge for the rolling paper.

Del. Ann Kaiser, a Montgomery County Democrat, said not decriminalizing paraphernalia would be like making eating blue crabs legal, but not Old Bay seasoning. That, she said, would be "inconceivable."

As a result of another veto override, a new law will place the burden of proof on police and prosecutors when they seize assets such as cars and cash during investigations. The law also prohibits police from seizing less than $300 unless the money can directly be tied to drug distribution.

Current law allows local and state agencies to seize assets from someone even if they're not charged with a crime and forces individuals trying to recover assets to prove that the assets are not ill-gotten gains.

Busch noted that all of the bills were approved with a clear majority last year — some with bipartisan support.

"I think you have to stand up for the policy initiatives you passed," Busch said. "We're partners in government. We're not a rubber stamp in government.”

Opinion: Hogan’s Veto of Drug Paraphernalia Decriminalization Is Bad for Public Safety
https://www.marylandmatters.org/2021...public-safety/

At the urging of public health professionals and harm reduction advocates during the 2021 session, the Maryland legislature approved Senate Bill 420 decriminalizing the possession of drug paraphernalia. Gov. Larry Hogan’s decision to veto that bill flies in the face of the expertise of those same public health professionals and harm reduction advocates.

Criminalization, marginalization, isolation, injury and death are all part of a largely preventable cycle of harm. And criminalization is perhaps the only part of that cycle which can be meaningfully and quickly addressed by public policy and law.

The Maryland legislature understood this when they passed SB420 into law earlier this year. It is unfortunate that Gov. Hogan has failed to acknowledge this reality.

His statement on the veto demonstrates that he either lacks a sufficient understanding of the expertise of public health professionals and harm reduction advocates, or that his decision making on this issue has been clouded by outdated, misleading or simply false drug-warrior misinformation.
Maryland Senate Bill 420
Summary

Repealing the prohibition against a person using or possessing with intent to use drug paraphernalia to inject, ingest, inhale, or otherwise introduce into the human body a controlled dangerous substance; repealing the prohibition against a person delivering or selling, or manufacturing or possessing with intent to deliver or sell drug paraphernalia under certain circumstances; altering a list of certain items that indicate intent to use certain controlled paraphernalia for certain purposes; etc.

In a veto message, Hogan said the bill “completely erases the illegality of certain controlled dangerous substance paraphernalia by legalizing the delivery, sale, manufacturing, and possession of these dangerous and damaging items. This is an ill-advised policy change that does nothing to remove drug dealers from our streets or reduce opioid-related fatalities, and instead encourages the use and possession of paraphernalia associated with drug use.”

Senate Bill 420 passed the Senate without a veto-proof majority, 28-19.​

Gov. Hogan’s vetoes: all about political self-interest | COMMENTARY
https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion...n3e-story.html

There’s something awfully peculiar when a governor vetoes legislation that passed the General Assembly with just a handful of dissenting votes, as did the bill to provide more transparency in emergency procurements. And when he announces he’s allowing more than 400 bills to become law without his signature — including such benign measures as the establishment of a task force on oral health, which passed the legislature with just one dissenting vote among 188 lawmakers — it only seems stranger. But this has become the new norm under Gov. Larry Hogan, who appears to be more concerned about keeping up Republican appearances for a potential run for higher office than in serious and engaged governance of his own state.

audiohi

Veteran
Please give me a citation to click on 'cause this "supermod" doesn't know wtf the 'issue' is you want to argue about!

............ and, please re-read my response from 12/1, thanks! ;)

Breath of fresh air?

Was that a joke, CosmicGiggle ?

This. This was what I asked you.

You know.... because he doesn't want bongs to be legal.

"A breath of fresh air" A joke to make you laugh. Comic irony?

audiohi

Veteran
Edit to add: OK, found that Bill, looks like it's mainly designed for HARD DRUG paraphenalia (7 (c) (1) This subsection does not apply to the use or possession of drug 8 paraphernalia involving the use or possession of marijuana.).

I have no idea why Larry vetoed it, coulda been 'cause it was too vague, lots of potential good reasons, the bottom line: I REALLY DON'T CARE!!!! :biggrin:

Exactly.

Good work finding (7 (c) (1), though. I'm impressed.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
:wave: Read my lips: I DON'T CARE! :yay::biggrin::yay:

.:violin:............and stop trying to make something out of nothing, yer putting me to sleep!:faint:

Hopefull Stoner

Hogan was and is an asshole perfectly suited to the extreme apathy of the state population and cronyism of standard Md politicians.

yes, this includes all manner of issues not related to cannabis in anyway. Fuk him forever !

moonymonkey

Hogan out now.got a new governor now there going to legalize weed in md and west virgina.md wants to be selling it in next 3weeks..

BudToaster

Veteran
just to update on MD governor - next will be elected in Nov. Hogan is term limited and definitely out.

i have a personal interest - would like to be able to manufacture my vaporizer in MD.

Reactions: Gry