What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gorilla Glue, Inc. ‘Reverse Class-Action Suit’ Against All GG#4 Cultivators

mdgg4

thanks for clarification, i was unaware of this information, but thats why i asked...
why do trademark laws not apply in this case cause they still used the name, doesnt matter if the plant was illegal or not?!
They still used a trademarked name, even if it was for non profit... still infringement? im no lawyer, but if it were so simple then there wouldnt be such a fuss about it..

I was one of the people that named this cultivar. Since then the Gorilla Glue company has profited from having a marijuana strain named after them. The "company" did'nt have a problem with it until the strain came to dominate the name. In my humble opinion, the problem is they don't want to have a brand go into obscurity by being replaced by a "taboo" product "weed". Now I don't think they honestly want to sue, I do believe their attorney's are smart enough to advise them against a fruitless and highly expensive endeavor. They honestly don't want the "strain" to disappear, cause if it does their sales I do believe they believe their sales will be down. My mind thinks very different than the average Joe, I like to as I call it Peeling Back the Layers. Why kill a product that has you going through record sales? Business sense says I would'nt, what I would do is make myself more synoymous with that product, when you think of that one, you can't help but think of this one too! Frivolous lawsuit meant to further "marry" the two brands, did'nt cost too much to just file, does'nt mean I have to or will I even consider following up. Just something to get you mentioning my name in your circle which might in turn bring more sales. Don't think for one minute they don't know the biggest purveyor of their product is the marijuana grower cause no other tape will hold up in the conditions we as growers put it through, shit even stops leaks.
Now here we go as a marijuana site giving further publicity to a brand that would only be mentioned in hindsight any other time. There recipe is working, look on NasdaQ, shares are up!

PEACE!

Last edited:

Grizz

Veteran
like I have said many times, I AM NOT A BREEDER, this creation was a accident and when we named it there was never a thought it would win cups and become so popular .Everyone that's saying I should have been smarter and not used the name is right but its about 5 years to late for that so there's no use beating a dead horse, We have explained why we are fighting this law suit and need all the support we can get.
There are people out there that have made thousands of dollars off my generosity but not myself, I am a broke assed grower, no ones fault but my own, If I knew where this was headed I would never released gg4 the way I did but hind sight is 20/20, so here we are fighting for our lives and get post telling us how stupid we were for using the name, agreed, I wish I could see into the future like you smart guys can, lol, for those that want to help support us please visit out web site and check out the fund raiser, if you don't support us please be nice and don't hate us for trying to do the right thing

One other thing, someone mentioned we used there logo at a event, we have not ever entered a cup event. many others have and what they do or use is beyond our control, we never gave approval to no one and no one ever asked for approval

TnTLabs

hearing facts out of the horses mouth is always better, and so thank you for speaking up...
so they knew about you using the same name and they didnt mind till the strain got so big? if so they were maybe watching this progress all along and were just waiting for the right moment...
i really do hope you are right mdgg4 and they dont follow through... maybe you are absolutely right and they are being "smart" in a way and using this to gain more publicity...
still not cool, thats for sure!
Now understanding the situation a bit better, and putting myself in your situation, i maybe would do the same...
im not trying to hate.. no way... sorry if it came across like that!
wishing you the best!

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wish you nothing but luck Josey
But I would not let the "we saved the company" argument into legal arguments or publicity of any sort. Will just make you look like a dumb stoner.
I can't fukn believe this whole hype train has led us to this! The power of social media...mind boggling!

mdgg4

Rob that's just my personal thoughts, no reflection on the actions Josey has taken to deal with this. No I would'nt step into any courtroom and make that argument. That was just giving people another way to look at a fucked up situation. I'm a rebel, I ALWAYS think outside the box. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not so much.
And besides, Josey would'nt take my crazy ass advice in a legal matter. Yeah social media is a bitch what our world has come to.
Can we just go back to VHF-UHF tv signals was much less hassle back then. The time before ON and SELECT TV, those were the days.

PEACE!

like I have said many times, I AM NOT A BREEDER, this creation was a accident and when we named it there was never a thought it would win cups and become so popular .Everyone that's saying I should have been smarter and not used the name is right but its about 5 years to late for that so there's no use beating a dead horse, We have explained why we are fighting this law suit and need all the support we can get.
There are people out there that have made thousands of dollars off my generosity but not myself, I am a broke assed grower, no ones fault but my own, If I knew where this was headed I would never released gg4 the way I did but hind sight is 20/20, so here we are fighting for our lives and get post telling us how stupid we were for using the name, agreed, I wish I could see into the future like you smart guys can, lol, for those that want to help support us please visit out web site and check out the fund raiser, if you don't support us please be nice and don't hate us for trying to do the right thing

One other thing, someone mentioned we used there logo at a event, we have not ever entered a cup event. many others have and what they do or use is beyond our control, we never gave approval to no one and no one ever asked for approval

respect man! - I saw a picture on here of someone selling gg clones and it had the guerilla glue monkey logo, I had no idea that people could just sell your clones at events without you having control over what they do. Your partner corrected me.

I think what you said right now was really humble. We all make mistakes and hopefully the judge will hear you out on that. Have they sent you a demand letter? Have they even tried to work this out with you besides going through court? I really think they and you guys should attempt a mediation and work things out outside of court. I mean if you change the name what other problems could they have? Just my two cents. Best of luck I know you're honest and that will be invaluable.

Grizz

Veteran
respect man! - I saw a picture on here of someone selling gg clones and it had the guerilla glue monkey logo, I had no idea that people could just sell your clones at events without you having control over what they do. Your partner corrected me.

I think what you said right now was really humble. We all make mistakes and hopefully the judge will hear you out on that. Have they sent you a demand letter? Have they even tried to work this out with you besides going through court? I really think they and you guys should attempt a mediation and work things out outside of court. I mean if you change the name what other problems could they have? Just my two cents. Best of luck I know you're honest and that will be invaluable.
yes we have , there demands are outrageous , i honestly feel like Mar, we have helped there sales way more than hurt them, i have had people tell me they had never heard of there products before, they were walking through WalMart and saw it and bought it because of gg4,

yes we have , there demands are outrageous , i honestly feel like Mar, we have helped there sales way more than hurt them, i have had people tell me they had never heard of there products before, they were walking through WalMart and saw it and bought it because of gg4,

I threw my gg tape out earlier. I'll never buy another one of their products after reading that

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I've never bought any of their products. Nor will I in the future. What they plan on gaining by this whole lawsuit thing is beyond me! :dunno: I'm definitely gonna donate to the cause. I've never met joesy or anyone at GGStrains but I feel thankful to them because where I live, they really helped put me in another zone thanks to GG4. That strain gave me the confidence to finally quit my dead end job and go for makin a livin in doin what I love. Thx joesy. As you know, lots of us here got your back and helping you out in this crazy ass situation is the least we could do. :tiphat:

Grizz

Veteran
honestly there tape is a good product, i don't know of a better tape for the grow room, expensive but good .

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
One of you millennial social media whiz kid types needs to start a "Boycott Gorilla Glue Products" campaign. Fuck these corporate "nothing to do so I'll shit on this guy" lawyers.

Hope it works out for the best JW, finding a judge that hasn't been bought these days is a rare thing.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So fukn ridiculous they are taking the time and putting in the effort to do this...their CEO is a future politician...mark my words!

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
who told you you need to profit in order to infringe on a registered trademarked name?

That's a fact in relation to how trademark infringement works. If you are not advertising/marketing a good or service, there cannot be trademark infrigement, period. Why are good and services advertised and marketed? In exchange of money, to get paying customers.

The only semi-valid argument the adhesive guys may have is that they don't want their trademark associated with the "devil's weed", but that argument is irrelevant at this point as the growers have ceased to use the trademarked adhesive name, and again, when it was used, it was to name a plant cultivar that was freely shared amongst friends, and thus outside trademark infringement, also, the growers who named the plant cultivar have no control on how popular this freely shared plant cultivar became, and thus hold no responsibility for the fact that now a plant cultivar is known by a similar name as the adhesive.

:wave:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
That's a fact in relation to how trademark infringement works. If you are not advertising/marketing a good or service, there cannot be trademark infrigement, period. Why are good and services advertised and marketed? In exchange of money, to get paying customers.

The only semi-valid argument the adhesive guys may have is that they don't want their trademark associated with the "devil's weed", but that argument is irrelevant at this point as the growers have ceased to use the trademarked adhesive name, and again, when it was used, it was to name a plant cultivar that was freely shared amongst friends, and thus outside trademark infringement, also, the growers who named the plant cultivar have no control on how popular this freely shared plant cultivar became, and thus hold no responsibility for the fact that now a plant cultivar is known by a similar name as the adhesive.

:wave:

point the lawyers at these guys joesy, they only "semi-infringed", lol.

picture.php

#BlueSmokeSquatCobbler

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Chunky, now that's infringement for sure. And correct me if I'm wrong, but those guys are not JW or mdgg in question.

TnTLabs

point the lawyers at these guys joesy, they only "semi-infringed", lol.

View Image

#BlueSmokeSquatCobbler

this is one of the first pics i saw connected to GG4, so naturally i thought that this is your logo...

stuff like this isnt helping either.. i cant put the link in.. not letting me.. anyway was for Gorilla Glue Auto by Fastbuds

Latest posts

Latest posts